Author Topic: London meet-up : Thursday 28th January 2016  (Read 3083 times)

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
London meet-up : Thursday 28th January 2016
« on: January 16, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
Hi all, a meet up has been proposed on Thursday 28 January at Filmwasters London HQ (The Globe in Moorgate). The food's OK and there's always lots of room upstairs.

I'd need to get the train in so I probably would get there about 7-ish. It would be great to get together as many people as possible, so if this date doesn't work for you shout out. I'm sure we can get a date to work for everyone.

I know Ed, Paul, Ken and Charles were keen to make it. Ed do you have Miller's number?

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/theglobemoorgatelondon
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: London meet-up : Thursday 28th January 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »
Yay! I can make it!!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:54 PM »
Hi all, a meet up has been proposed on Thursday 28 January at Filmwasters London HQ (The Globe in Moorgate). The food's OK and there's always lots of room upstairs.

I'd need to get the train in so I probably would get there about 7-ish. It would be great to get together as many people as possible, so if this date doesn't work for you shout out. I'm sure we can get a date to work for everyone.

I know Ed, Paul, Ken and Charles were keen to make it. Ed do you have Miller's number?

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/theglobemoorgatelondon

Nigel,

I've just sent Paul (Miller) a text to alert him.  Hope he's still on the same number and that he can make it.

Paul.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »
The wife's away that week.  So I've got a pink ticket which I full intend to use to the full.

Ken B: eyes, I just do eyes.

• Sheet Film
  • In email, no one can hear you scream
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:21:14 PM »
Sorry lads have to take the car to B'ham now and will be coming back on the friday morning

Please drink some beer and say some bullshit on my behalf
Age can weary me when it can keep the hell up

http://www.kensphotoblog2013.com/

http://www.artybollocks.com/

zapsnaps

• Sheet Film
  • Get Zapped!
    • http://www.NowSeeThis.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:34 PM »
I have  a shoot planned that evening straight after work, but I'll pop along afterwards if the beers are still flowing
Nudes make the world go round
www.NowSeeThis.co.uk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
The wife's away that week.  So I've got a pink ticket which I full intend to use to the full.

Charles, as you only work a few hundred yards from me, do you fancy meeting up for a bit of evening shooting? I've got a roll of CineStill 800 that's crying out for a bit of early evening action, if you know what I mean....

.....and we could have a pint on the way to the Globe.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »

Charles, as you only work a few hundred yards from me, do you fancy meeting up for a bit of evening shooting? I've got a roll of CineStill 800 that's crying out for a bit of early evening action, if you know what I mean....

Paul

I'll have to see how busy work is.  I certainly like the idea of an early pint though.  Still pondering over the Aero Ektar. 

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »

Paul

I'll have to see how busy work is.  I certainly like the idea of an early pint though.  Still pondering over the Aero Ektar.

OK, please let me know on the day.  I anticipate being out of here by 5:30 (latest) and could be at the East India by 5:35.

As for the Aero Ektar.  Everyone seems to gush about them - and they seem to be as rare as Unicorn droppings.  If it's available at a price where the worst you could do (if you decide to sell it on) is break even, it would probably be a half-decent investent.  If money's tight / needed elsewhere, would you really miss not having it?

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 04:08:34 PM »
jumping in - few aero ektars on ebay right now and recent ones went for £150-£250 ish,

however if you dont want to make your own lensboard for it, you need one like the JoLo one included in that sale, which were about £80 but are no longer made and have all been sold... there is another chap who makes them, check out the dancing with speeds facebook group...

the jolo board also works with the pentac 8" too which is useful.

so although £400 seems a bit over priced maybe not as much as I originally thought...

surplus ones were sold off for $10 apparently back in the day..! cheers

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »
I've asked the seller if the lens has been tested and also whether the rear lens element is discoloured (I have read some comments that this can happen with these lenses).

It is abit pricey compared to Ebay but then again the seller is a proper dealer so there's a premium for that.

They also have a Speed Graphic for sale but with a dodgy shutter - going for £145.

Chalky

• Sheet Film
    • Instant surf
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
off topic - there are many people who service speed graphics/calibrate rangefinders for the AE, PM me if you need details...

is it a pacemaker or anniversary model?

now you're entering the whole 'do I want an radioactive lens in my house' debate!

hijacked this thread sorry!

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 04:24:13 PM »
off topic - there are many people who service speed graphics/calibrate rangefinders for the AE, PM me if you need details...

is it a pacemaker or anniversary model?

now you're entering the whole 'do I want an radioactive lens in my house' debate!

hijacked this thread sorry!

It's a pacemaker.

I'm not too worried about all this radioactive malarkey, most of which is probably exaggerated and then blown out of proportion on some APUG thread.

I certainly would put it under my bed though, just in case.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:08 PM »
Usually, these things are not much more radioactive than the old glow in the dark clocks that used radium paint...
If you don't lick the glass, you're OK.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

ShivaYash

• 35mm
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »
I'm new to this group and usually a Londoner but alas am presently in Melbourne. Look forward to the next one. Glad people on here know what a pink ticket is ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2016, 12:14:34 PM »
ShivaYash,

All FWers who are available and able to get to the Globe will be welcome at these gatherings. The beer's good and we have, on previous occasions, headed upstairs for a bite to eat.

Most of us know what a pink ticket is - even if we're not always regular recipients of them  :o

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2016, 01:32:43 PM »
IS this a night time or a daytime thing? I might be able to come if it is in the evening?
L.

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »
IS this a night time or a daytime thing? I might be able to come if it is in the evening?

Night time. 

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2016, 12:40:46 PM »

Great stuff, Leon. I think Nigel suggested we be at the Globe around 7pm but, if you can be in town earlier, I'm trying to persuade Charles Binns (and anyone else who is up for it) to do a bit of an evening shoot and/or grab a cheeky pint before the appointed hour..... :o

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 08:40:04 PM »
Sorry to have been AWOL chaps. I started a new job on Monday, I've been working in Somerset for a few days and lost track of the conversation a little.

Paul - I'll do my best to get to town a bit earlier, if I do I'll give you a call to tag on to the end of your early evening shoot.

I'm looking forward to it.

website

David A-W

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
I'll try to join you. I've not been to a Filmwasters meet since Southwold, which I very much enjoyed. I need to re-start my photography: have hardly taken photos on film for a year or more but am going to load up my R3a, stick the 40mm voigtlander lens on it, put a roll of HP5+ in it and take it with me for this afternoon's country walk in East Sussex. Hope to see you on Thursday.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 04:39:50 PM »
I'll try to join you. I've not been to a Filmwasters meet since Southwold, which I very much enjoyed. I need to re-start my photography: have hardly taken photos on film for a year or more but am going to load up my R3a, stick the 40mm voigtlander lens on it, put a roll of HP5+ in it and take it with me for this afternoon's country walk in East Sussex. Hope to see you on Thursday.

Fantastic! It'd be great to meet up again. Really hope you can make it.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 04:48:14 PM »
Incidentally, I was in London today and popped over to Brick Lane market and had a chat with the guys at "Film's Not Dead".  I mentioned this get together to them.  They're both film fans and really nice guys.  I'm not sure if they'll be able to make it there but they know where / when we'll be on Thursday.  Looks like it could be a great crowd.....

David A-W

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 11:33:17 PM »
Sorry I couldn't join you - the office was too sticky this evening to leave at a decent time. Maybe next time.  Hope you had a nice time.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 10:18:27 AM »
I'd like to add my apologies too. Had an early morning meeting and was feeling pooped!
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »
No worries - these things happen. 

Nigel, Charles Binns and I had a few libations at the Globe but (horror of horrors) the upstairs room was fully booked for a private function.  I was severely reprimanded by Mr Rumsey for this overight and we decamped to a Thai Restaurant on London Wall for a very nice bite to eat (and a few more libations).

charles binns

• Self-Coat
    • Here and There
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2016, 12:55:13 PM »
Yes, it was a good night all round.  And my UV exposure unit arrived this morning so I can start to print Kallitypes this week end.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2016, 09:12:32 PM »
Very enjoyable evening, it was good to see you both. Charles, I'm looking forward to seeing a kallitype.

BTW. I got up this morning and ordered another Holga! 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

website