Author Topic: Weekend 11-13 December  (Read 9883 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Weekend 11-13 December
« on: December 11, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
Hello,

finally, the weekend is close!
My photo was taken at the Oker valley, Germany. The river is not always as quiet as it looks, as it is downstream from a water reservoir that occasionally opens the flood gates. I went with a friend and one of us was always standing guard for a flood wave while the other was taking photos.
Chamonix 45F1, 150mm lens, Kodak Ektar 100

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
Re: Weekend 11-13 December
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 06:28:10 AM »
"My theme is memory..." said captain Ryder. I think it is often the case with me as well...
Returning in memory to my last visit to the Holy Mountain, to this place, near a derelict kelli of Ag.Georgios on the beautiful monopati near Karakalou monastery.

Fall by Andrej, on Flickr
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Fluminian

• Self-Coat
  • 1000‰ film
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »
Nice start, guys. Nothing new from me this weekend.

Contax G1, Planar 45mm f2, Fomapan 200, Promicrol.

passing_bus by Miljenko Vrankovic, on Flickr
Linux is like a wigwam. No windows, no gates, apache inside!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:27:39 AM »
I love that peaceful river shot, Manuell

Here's a snap of Damion that I took earlier this week on some old Polaroid 5x4 pack film (the 800ASA type...can't remember what it's called) while we were trying out some sheets of the New55 pos/neg film. Unfortunately, we didn't have much luck with the latter, but this came out fine.

EDIT: Forgot to add that this scan is from the negative/goop side.I gave the positive side to Damion. Also, the shot was wonky (tripods and I don't work well together), so I straightened the image inside the frame in P'Shop. I know...I'll get my coat  ;) :-[

Damion Rice: December 2015 by Ed Wenn, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:13:24 PM by Ed Wenn »

macfred

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
Great start !
--
Manuel, I really love the one from the Oker valley - I've been there (nearly 25 years ago) for hiking and bouldering on the several cliffs in the neighbourhood - great memories !
Those were the days ...

On the bummel by Andreas, on Flickr
Leica R4s - Summicron R 50mm f/2 - Kodak Gold 200 (5096)

mono

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 12:10:53 PM »
Hello,

My photo was taken at the Oker valley, Germany. The river is not always as quiet as it looks, as it is downstream from a water reservoir that occasionally opens the flood gates. I went with a friend and one of us was always standing guard for a flood wave while the other was taking photos.

Oh dear!
Great memories indeed: I spent my youth nearby!!
Funny that it is an English forum to remind me of that place! ;-)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:13:20 PM by mono »

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 02:52:44 PM »
With Holga production ended, it seemed like a good time to get one, so I did. This is from the first roll of HP5+ I put through it.

Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:38 PM »
That's a great Holga shot Andrej!

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
We both got new Holgas, and had a Lomo day this past weekend. I, of course, took a shot or two and then promptly dropped it  :o  The back came off, the take-up spool popped out, and the film started to unravel a bit. I shoved it all back in and put the back...well, back on, advanced a frame or two, and shot the rest of the roll with my fingers crossed. And it actually worked! 

HP5, souped in Caffenol (which Mr.02 kindly developed for me because I had had a crappy weekend and was facing a crazy week of grading, and because he's a good egg  ;D )

rs Gazebo crop by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Riverside by limrodrigues, on Flickr
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
We both got new Holgas, and had a Lomo day this past weekend. I, of course, took a shot or two and then promptly dropped it  :o  The back came off, the take-up spool popped out, and the film started to unravel a bit. I shoved it all back in and put the back...well, back on, advanced a frame or two, and shot the rest of the roll with my fingers crossed. And it actually worked! 
Like the Irish say; "Ah, sure it could happen to the pope!" Love the Holga shots here and Andrej's shot is right up my street.
I'll continue the dark trend with some burnt architecture.

Contax RX / Zeiss Distagon 2.8 28mm / Fomapan 400 Stand dev. in Rodinal
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »
Aw yeah, urban decay, my favorite  8) Where were those taken?

jharr

• Self-Coat
  • Humble Hobbyist
    • Through A Glass, Darkly
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:04 PM »
Very nice weekend so far. I guess I'll have to dust off the Holga soon. In the mean time here is another 'toy' camera shot. Getting in the holiday spirit here in So. Cal. with my Brownie Hawkeye Flash loaded with Acros, souped in coffee.

BHF-Acros-007 by James Harr, on Flickr
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera"   -- Dorothea Lange
Flickr
Blogger

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 05:00:03 PM »
I didn't know there's another Andrej here.. :)

Nice images so far.. I think I too need to get the Holga out again...
And thanks to the pointer to the Oker valley - it's not that far from here, I think I'll have to plan another trip.. Maybe an Oker-filmwasting walk? :)
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

02Pilot

• Self-Coat
  • Malcontent
    • Filmosaur
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 05:04:43 PM »
I didn't know there's another Andrej here.. :)

Nice images so far.. I think I too need to get the Holga out again...
And thanks to the pointer to the Oker valley - it's not that far from here, I think I'll have to plan another trip.. Maybe an Oker-filmwasting walk? :)

Yes, I'm the other owner of that name here. It does seem odd that there are two in such a small community, especially when I'm not sure I've ever randomly run across another one here in the States. Central Europe, well, that's another matter....
Any man who can see what he wants to get on film will usually find some way to get it;
and a man who thinks his equipment is going to see for him is not going to get much of anything.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Bryan

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
Some trees, horizontal and vertical.  Rolleiflex Automat with Fuji Acros 100 developed in Caffenol C-H (rs). 

Wood Pile by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Trees in the Snow by Bryan Chernick, on Flickr

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »

HP5, souped in Caffenol (which Mr.02 kindly developed for me because I had had a crappy weekend and was facing a crazy week of grading, and because he's a good egg  ;D )

Gaffer Tape. The Holga shooter's friend. I really like the shot of the couple under the tree.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:06:34 PM by Ed Wenn »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2015, 05:28:53 PM »
Woot! It's great to see some classy Holga shots on the forum; well done you two, the photos are absolutely wonderful.

:) :) ;D

Also, with regard to dropping a Holga and the back popping off.....let's just think about that for a second. You dropped your camera. An MF camera. It hit the ground, probably pretty hard. You didn't really care. You picked it up, put it back together and started shooting again. Virtually no harm done.

Now play that scenario through with almost any other MF camera and see what your brain does when you get to the first part; you know, the part where you dropped your camera. "Ouch!"  :o, right?

No-one here has the right to look down on toy cameras, or make snide comments about their lack of precision parts. They're cameras. They're awesome...and they bounce REALLY well. 
;D 8) 8) 8) :)

Kai-san

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
Aw yeah, urban decay, my favorite  8) Where were those taken?
I shot these 500 yards from the town centre in Stavanger. It's probably two years or more since they burnt down. I expect the plot owners are planning to put up some ugly high-rise concrete building right in the middle of an area with old wooden houses near the harbour. I hope the city council will turn them down.
Kai

If you want to change your photographs, you need to change cameras.

-- Nobuyoshi Araki

http://www.kaispage.net/

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
Thanks a lot for all the nice comments! Would never have guessed that so many people here know the Oker valley.
Ed, love you portrait - even if you moved the frame a bit  :D
Whenever I see the Holga shots here, I want to get one - but then I always end up getting a wonky lens for the 4x5 that does the same, but much more complicated.   :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 08:26:30 PM »
What a fine bunch of photos we have here.  Gotta love Ed's mugshot of Damion, though....

Mine are a couple of a gnarly old tree at Avebury during the last FW day out.

Nikon F6, Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8, Tri-X
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:59 PM »
...No-one here has the right to look down on toy cameras, or make snide comments about their lack of precision parts. They're cameras. They're awesome...and they bounce REALLY well. 

Ed, I hope my Gaffer tape remark wasn't misconstrued as being snide. It was friendly advice. I always tape my Holgas after loading. Especially around the latches where the strap connects to them.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »
Woot! It's great to see some classy Holga shots on the forum; well done you two, the photos are absolutely wonderful.

:) :) ;D

Also, with regard to dropping a Holga and the back popping off.....let's just think about that for a second. You dropped your camera. An MF camera. It hit the ground, probably pretty hard. You didn't really care. You picked it up, put it back together and started shooting again. Virtually no harm done.

Now play that scenario through with almost any other MF camera and see what your brain does when you get to the first part; you know, the part where you dropped your camera. "Ouch!"  :o, right?

No-one here has the right to look down on toy cameras, or make snide comments about their lack of precision parts. They're cameras. They're awesome...and they bounce REALLY well. 

Definitely!
And also, rubberbands and tape are your friends!
I got mine out of the cupboard and all I have to do is load it... hopefully before Xmas...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »

Ed, I hope my Gaffer tape remark wasn't misconstrued as being snide. It was friendly advice. I always tape my Holgas after loading. Especially around the latches where the strap connects to them.

Not at all. Not in the slightest. Not one tiny little bit  :) :) My comment wasn't aimed at anyone specifically. I tape my Holga too. And my Diana clones and even my beloved Agfa Isola. I was just just flying the flag for 'photos vs photo gear' and mentioning one of the often overlooked benefits of a plastic/toy camera. This web site has its roots in toycamera.com and I often forget that many of the current regulars haven't come into film photography via the plastic-lens route.

Terry

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 11:40:56 PM »
It's a little known fact that gaffer's tape holds the universe together.

Another 4x4 taken with my Yashica 44LM.  Looking south from 116th street in Manhattan.

city par Terry B, on ipernity

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »
Hello!!

Wonderful, as usual. Love those Holga pics ... I've purchased a Holga 120N, but not used yet.
Last weekend before Xmas holidays ...Children are working hard !!! (parents too...)

Contax RX |CZ Planar 50/1.7
Ilford FP4+ | Perceptol stock
Epson V370/ Epson Scan

ignacio by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

violeta by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

... anyway, we had some spare time for a stroll and testing the Super Ikonta

Super Ikonta 533/16 |Tessar Opton 80/2.8
Fomapan 100 |ID-11
Epson V500/ Epson Scan

camino by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

retiro by Antonio Gimeno, on Flickr

¡Un abrazo!

Gimenosaiz

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 11:05:13 AM »
Hello,

Hi!

Fantastic colors !! I'd like to see it bigger ;-) please.

Regards!

KevinAllan

• Sheet Film
    • kevinthephotographer
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
It was raining and snowing yesterday, but I'm glad I went out for a walk with the camera anyway. This is Baybridge on the border between Northumberland and County Durham, with a Yashicamat 124G and Ilford FP4+

Baybridge
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 12:17:06 PM »
Hi!

Fantastic colors !! I'd like to see it bigger ;-) please.

Regards!
Thanks a lot! I posted a slightly bigger version on ipernity: http://m.ipernity.com/#/doc/manuel.lion/40572808

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 12:20:31 PM »
It was raining and snowing yesterday, but I'm glad I went out for a walk with the camera anyway. This is Baybridge on the border between Northumberland and County Durham, with a Yashicamat 124G and Ilford FP4+
Beautiful shot Kevin! I really like the depth of the tree leading into the background.

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 12:33:00 PM »
Great variation this weekend everyone! Particularly like the tranquility of the 3rd one from Gimenosaiz.

A cupel from my last developed roll, very out of date something.

Have a kind weekend everyone!

Prosopopoeia, with a camera

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:19 PM »
Whoa Aksel, that first one is scary!  :o
The last on on the other hand made me smile.

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
I took this one last weekend, but never got around to processing it. Adam's Polaroid Automatic 100 Land camera (which I am growing completely addicted to!!) on Fuji FP100C

Late Autumn/Long Shadows by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr

Note the solarisation at the far right! I didn't know that the Fuji pack film could solarize! Time to get experimenting  :o

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 10:16:34 PM »
I know Instax does solarize pretty easily, though it's probably because it's an 800 ISO film.
Francois

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »
wow all the holga love is getting me all warm and fuzzy inside~
no new shots from mine.. yet. I've been letting mine spend some evenings outside the house and trying to get some star trails on a roll of velvia I loaded up :)

got the shots back from my agfa isolette iii though!it feels lie a team effort as I got the camera from johan_lindgren and new bellows from sandeha lynch

in the woods by jonas lundström, on Flickr

glad I remembered to post something to the weekend thread. feels like it's been a while :)

also, aksel... you are killing it so friggin hard this weekend!!!!!
/jonas

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »
FP100C in my 4x5

negative scanned as a positive

more over in Photo Essays
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:28:04 PM by hookstrapped »

scapevision

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 03:37:51 AM »

Treed
by Dmitrijs Belokons, on Flickr

Aksel

• Sheet Film
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »
This thread is such a nice thing - it´s always my start of the weekend! Well done everyone.
Thank you for kind words ManuelL & jojonas~.
Prosopopoeia, with a camera

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 07:02:04 PM »
I took this one last weekend, but never got around to processing it. Adam's Polaroid Automatic 100 Land camera (which I am growing completely addicted to!!) on Fuji FP100C

Late Autumn/Long Shadows by Satish Indofunk, on Flickr

Note the solarisation at the far right! I didn't know that the Fuji pack film could solarize! Time to get experimenting  :o

I like this shot. And yes, from my experiences shooting the stuff, FP-100C really loves light, until it's a bit too intense and then you get that burn in. It's almost like a an analog blown highlights indicator. And it should be referred to The camera formerly known as Adam's Polaroid Automatic 100 Land Camera. Let's see more!

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 07:41:58 PM »
Ah yes, the old "show him where the blown highlights are AFTER it's too late to correct it" ;)

More TCFKAAPA100LC shots coming up for sure! :D

limr

• Self-Coat
    • A Modern Day Dinosaur
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 01:20:46 AM »

Gaffer Tape. The Holga shooter's friend. I really like the shot of the couple under the tree.

Thank you on both counts :) I've heard "gaffer's tape" bandied about around here for a long time and until now, I've never bothered to figure out how it's different from other tape. Now I know and will be adding a roll to my next Amazon order :D
Leonore
http://moderndinosaur.wordpress.com

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness." (Ludwig Wittgenstein)

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:35 AM »
There's a saying amongst musicians (mostly sound engineers, but accepted by all musicians): There's nothing that can't be fixed with gaffer's tape and chewing gum wrappers.

Think about it, it's true.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:26:48 AM by Indofunk »

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 07:27:02 AM »
There's a saying amongst musicians (mostly sound engineers, but accepted by all musicians): There's nothing that can't be fixed with gaffer's tape and chewing gum wrappers.

Think about it, it's true.
aye, that saying sure goes around. though many settle on duct tape for a semi permanent fix ;D
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »
As they say, duct tape is like the force; it has both a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together...

And it also has a definite link to quantum theory... Has anybody ever experienced gaffers tape entanglement?  ;D
Francois

Adam Doe

• Self-Coat
    • My Flickr Stream
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »
As they say, duct tape is like the force; it has both a light side and a dark side and it binds the universe together...

... and leaves a residue. That's the beauty of gaffer tape. No residue. Plus you can often reuse it. I'll be able to change multiple rolls of film in a Holga and reuse the same tape over and over. Beautiful stuff, gaffer tape.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2015, 08:56:58 PM »
I know... and getting the gunk off is a real pain. But it does hold :)
Francois