Author Topic: Six Gates Films  (Read 5702 times)

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: Six Gates Films
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
Not yet - but I like the look of what they have to offer......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »
would be more interesting if they had removed the remjet already..
/jonas

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:51:41 PM »
Decided to risk it and have just bought their entire stock of HP5 cut and respooled on to 127 spools. I'll let you know what their service is like.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 12:43:14 AM »
Decided to risk it and have just bought their entire stock of HP5 cut and respooled on to 127 spools. I'll let you know what their service is like.

oh please do!
I'm very curious!  Good luck!   8)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
Cool stuff! Ordered 3 rolls of the Senna 640 and a can of remjet removal agent. @ €4,- per roll it's giving cine still literally a run for their money, oke it's only 20some exposures, but still cheaper!! Thanks for the tip Peter  8)

they also have some other interesting films on the bay, like a low iso ortho non perforated film for pinhole....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POE-low-iso-ORTHO-NON-PERFORATED-MICROFILM-by-SGF-of-Milan-/291517903469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item43dfd2326d

I'll keep you posted

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 09:06:53 PM »
it's only 20some exposures,
This is something I also noticed... I wonder if they make the long Leica-like leaders or if they just give 4 fewer exposures just to save a roll every 5?
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 11:25:05 PM »
Something I was just contemplating.... They named the 640 iso fast film "Senna".... maybe after the fastest F1 driver ever: Ayrton Senna? Just a thought.... if so that would score bonus points on my list

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »
My films arrived this morning. Ordered on the 19th, shipped on the 22nd and arrived on the 27th. Not bad.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »
That's what I call speedy...
Looks like Royal Mail is starting to be a lot better than Canada Post (and that means a lot)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »
The same here, ordered the 20th arrived the 25th. First roll of Senna is already in the EOS 33. If the prebath remjet removal agent works propperly I intend to shoot some more cine film, since I've still got a couple of hunderd of feet of vision 500T from Terry in my fridge....

Terry

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
I'm tempted by the remjet removal agent.  If it works well, I'll have to spool my last 200 feet of 500T onto some cassettes...

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 03:49:29 PM »
I'm tempted by the remjet removal agent.  If it works well, I'll have to spool my last 200 feet of 500T onto some cassettes...

I'll let you know how it goes....

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »
Just processed the first film.

This is HP5 sliced and respooled onto 127 spools. The spools were vintage metal ones though they've indicated future batches may be on modern plastic spools. The backing paper looks identical to that used on Rerapan and it appears it's been used before so may well have come from rolls of Rerapan - or maybe it just got a bit creased/torn while being rolled. There was no tape to seal the roll once exposed so I'll have to remember to carry some with me in future (that'll be a pain in the arse). The film was attached to the backing paper by some red plastic tape. It wasn't aligned well though and protruded off the edge of the film which made it a bit difficult to get started in the spiral (I start from the taped end). The film was cut a bit short and not square. The last frame was right on the end of the film. Maybe it would be OK if I was using the numbers but this was used in the Rollei 4x4 which automatically senses the start of the film and then spaces the frames automatically. There appears to be a bit more fogging along the edge than normal, not enough to effect the images though. The rolls were supplied loose in a clear plastic bag. Would be better supplied in a can, maybe, or a black plastic bag at least.

So that's my coments so far. I've got five more rolls to use so we'll see if there's any variation between them.

Here's the last frame with the end of the film (pic taken through a window so ignore quality of the image).

And another.

121 by Peter Robinson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 07:16:33 PM by Peter R »

Peter84

• Peel Apart
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:28 AM »
So yesterday evening  it was nice and windy so I thought let's try out that new film I got at a local pier.
First I shot the six gates Senna asa 640 and after that some of Terry's 500T.
I first developed the Senna. When I hang it to dry I read the side markings: Maco tcs eagle
A quick internet research told me it's traffic surveillance film with an effective  range between asa 400 - 800. Well when they (six gates) say pastel colors, they ment it. It's really soft.
And finally the roll of 500T. Now this roll I shot to test the remjet removal agent. I haven't been using the 500T because I can't get a decent result. I keep washing and washing, but when it has dried there are always remjet marks.... So my hope rests on this product.
I bought a bottle of demineralised water, warmed it up between 27 -38C, dissolved the entire pot of remjet removal agent in the water,let it cool to 27C, soaked the film in it for 30 seconds, shaking it for 5 seconds every 10 poured out the liquid and.... drum roll..... nothing
Maybe a bit longer I thought: a minute, nothing, 2 nothing, 3 nothing, 5..... nothing. maybe a bit warmer? let's say around 38C.... 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2, 3.... still nothing.
So at this stage I just developed the roll. No remjet in the color developper and it was after the blix and washing, when I took out the film of the reel that I could wipe it of with my thumb. So wiped it all of in warm water, gave it a final wash in demineralised water with some wetting agent and when I dried the film and scanned it.... Exactly remjet marks only a handfull of salvagable frames.
So maybe this remjet removal agent doens't work on this type of film although why wouldn't it? any thoughts?

Terry

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »
Disappointing news about the remjet remover.  We know it's possible to get the stuff off cleanly--motion pic labs do it every day.  An article I read a good long while ago said that temperature was critical.  Of course I forgot to bookmark the article and I don't remember what temps they were using. 

On the positive side, though, it looks like these guys (like Bluefire) bought gobs of the 46mm HP5 in Ilford's ULF sale this year.  Meaning, of course, that Ilford will offer it again next year (when I reckon I'll be running low).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:38:29 PM by Terry »