Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a good FD to EOS (EF) adapter?  (Read 1995 times)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
Is there such a thing as a good FD to EOS (EF) adapter?
« on: September 10, 2016, 07:38:59 PM »
I recently had a cull (some would say massacre) of camera kit, and like a good boy I managed to limit myself to just 4 systems.
Well for 35mm slr's, that doesn't include 120, rangefinders or one off's...

Anyway, I use EOS cameras a lot, both film and digi, and have found that almost any other lens can be quickly and cheaply adapted, except FD mount :(

I do have an adapter, with an optical element in it, but what I've found is any lens wide open is hopeless, I can't get useable shots from my 50mm 1.4 until f4, the 70-210 f4 is ok at f5.6 etc etc

I don't mind paying for for a good adapter (mine was £20) but I don't want to waste money on something that won't work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Is there such a thing as a good FD to EOS (EF) adapter?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:57:46 PM »
That's always the problem when you add a corrective lens between the lens and the body. Even if quality is top notch, you still have degradation.
But you might want to check this
https://www.fotodioxpro.com/pro-lens-adapter-canon-fd-lens-to-canon-ef-camera-adapter.html
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

terryj42

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:08:51 PM »
Before getting rid of all my EOS gear I tried that Fotodiox adapter and found the resulting images rather soft even in the center.  I suspect more expensive optics in the adapter might somewhat improve the image, but I'm not sure the final result would be worth the added expense. 

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
Personally, I doubt that any company makes adapters of sufficient quality.
I was thinking bout Novoflex but they don't make one for canon-canon
Francois

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
Just get a Canon F1. ;)

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 10:04:41 PM »
I figured any adapter with a lens would be rubbish

F1's seem to be dropping in price, but I have enough FD bodies I love, I just want better (more) glass for me EOS 3 and my digi

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 10:31:42 PM »
You can always look into M42 stuff.
These will definitely fit on the canons with cheap a lens-less adapter.
The Takumars are incredibly good and relatively cheap.
And then there are the millions of other variants made for this mount.
Francois

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 07:18:34 AM »
M42 is one of the systems I kept, and they do adapt well to EOS and FD.

I guess I just wanted one body I could use any lens on, I've nearly achieved it so I can't complain too much. It's just my FD glass is some of the nicest I have

If I'm feeling like using an auto camera what are the T series like? I've never handled one

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 09:00:10 AM »
SRB Photographic is, in my experience, an excellent company and they seem to offer a pretty comprehensive range of adapters.  I've done a filter on EOS to see what options are available and FD is there - amongst many others:

http://srb-photographic.co.uk/camera--lens-adaptors-1167-c.asp?_=&CAMERA=Canon+EOS

I had Canon FD bodies for many years and there were some very good lenses available in that mount - especially in the L (Pro) range.  I loved my 20-35mm f3.5 L and, as part of a set with a 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and 200mm f2.8, it's hard to imagine better.  There were also some great independent lenses.  The Tamron "Adaptall 2" 24mm, 28mm and 90mm macro lenses were great and can now be bought at reasonable prices.

Hope you find something to your taste and budget from SRB.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 02:38:45 PM »

I guess I just wanted one body I could use any lens on, I've nearly achieved it so I can't complain too much. It's just my FD glass is some of the nicest I have

If I'm feeling like using an auto camera what are the T series like? I've never handled one

I've had a chance to handle both a T50 and a T60.
I find the T50 to be too automatic. You can't set the shutter speed yourself. If you want a good comparison, it's a bit like the Nikon em.
On the other hand, the T60 is much better. It's more like what were used to with all controls. And there's the top of the line T90, but I've never handled one.
The cameras all work with AA batteries. Their exposure system is said to be one of the finest ever made.
They have a built-in motor too. Ergonomically they're surprisingly good.

They were the last generation of fb mount cameras just before the introduction of the EOS series.
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 06:53:32 PM »

I've had a chance to handle both a T50 and a T60.
I find the T50 to be too automatic. You can't set the shutter speed yourself. If you want a good comparison, it's a bit like the Nikon em.
On the other hand, the T60 is much better. It's more like what were used to with all controls. And there's the top of the line T90, but I've never handled one.
The cameras all work with AA batteries. Their exposure system is said to be one of the finest ever made.
They have a built-in motor too. Ergonomically they're surprisingly good.

They were the last generation of fb mount cameras just before the introduction of the EOS series.

I had a T90 for years - I bought one when they came out in 1986.  I moved to Nikon once I was ready to replace it as I really did not like the EOS range that followed the T90. It's a real tank of a camera - arguably the best ever specification for any FD mount.  9 point spot metering (and capability to "average" the readings).  Porsche design - and I found exceptional ergonomics.  Built in motor drive if you need it.  Excellent TTL flash function with the Canon 300TL flash gun.  A bit heavier than some bodies (because of the integral multi-battery pack) but well balanced and I found it extremely reliable and a joy to use.  I had a T70 (on loan briefly) and, although it was a good camera, I never warmed to its looks and it seemed a bit clunky in operation by comparison to the T90.  As a result of their build quality, may survive in good condition.

https://cameraquest.com/t90.htm

Just my thoughts...

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
I think I will put the money towards a T90 then :)
Sometimes I want advanced metering and motor drive

I don't want to waste money on another adapter that will give poor results

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2016, 10:25:53 PM »
Good choice.
These were the pinnacle of what has been done with the FD mount.
For me, simply the fact that they run on AAs is a gamechanger. No more hunting for strange batteries.
Francois

Kayos

• Peel Apart
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »
I know what you mean about the batteries, I do have an extensive collection of "odd" batteries but more often than not I still don't quite have the correct one when I acquire a new camera

Dinosaurcamerauser

• 35mm
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 07:21:53 PM »
As a 30 year Canon FD user my best advice would be to pass on the T90 and get a 3rd generation F1N. Batteries for this model are easy to find. At the risk of sounding rather negative with my first post you should know the T90 is a wonderful design but has a crappy shutter, prone to stick. There are T90 owners who have owned their cameras from new and will swear they have never suffered any problems but,  a search through various forums archives will reveal an endless series of stuck T90 shutter problems. If you really want an  FD to EOS adapter, Canon produced one for a short period during the FD/EOS switch over. They were always pretty rare and if memory serves will work only with the telephoto lenses. They were not cheap to buy. I do not remember anyone at any time having a good word for the aftermarket adapters.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 09:15:22 PM »
Hello.….... :)

Its just 2mm that's all,but the wrong way 42mm instead of the EF 44mm.
Its such a pity as there are some real gems in the FD Lens range.
With the released of the EF mount they have all been made pretty
Much ignored. I suppose the m4/3 users can/are using them.

There were a few brave souls converting the choice FD  lenses to EF
which meant an actual mount change on the lens and making redundant
The auto aperture mechanism.
This would allow the lens to mount directly onto the EOS camera with a 2mm
Loss in register distance. The only way around that was to 'shave' the mirror
Just in. The centre on the bottom edge to clear the rear element of the lens.

And pretty much the most popular lens that got converted was the 85mm f1.2

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
here is a thread from the fredmiranda forum. This is/was
the forum where it was all happening with lens converting etc.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/716139/0

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 10:17:48 AM »
As a 30 year Canon FD user my best advice would be to pass on the T90 and get a 3rd generation F1N. Batteries for this model are easy to find. At the risk of sounding rather negative with my first post you should know the T90 is a wonderful design but has a crappy shutter, prone to stick. There are T90 owners who have owned their cameras from new and will swear they have never suffered any problems but,  a search through various forums archives will reveal an endless series of stuck T90 shutter problems. If you really want an  FD to EOS adapter, Canon produced one for a short period during the FD/EOS switch over. They were always pretty rare and if memory serves will work only with the telephoto lenses. They were not cheap to buy. I do not remember anyone at any time having a good word for the aftermarket adapters.

Yep, there I can recall several references to LCD screen and EEE/sticky shutter issues in camera mags but I can say, in all honesty, that my T90 never missed a beat.  I had two friends who also used the T90 and, as far as I'm aware, theirs were also problem-free.

I also owned (until very recently) a 3rd generation F1 (F1-N) and that is, without question, the better of the two cameras.  A good example (in the UK) is quite a bit pricier than a T90 and, to obtain shutter priority mode, you must have the motor drive unit in place.  If going for an F1-N, make sure you get one that hasn't been hammered as they were one of the first Canon SLRs to be used extensively by professionals alongside the Nikon F3 users of the day.