Author Topic: TLR pinhole results  (Read 1791 times)

gsgary

• Self-Coat
TLR pinhole results
« on: August 12, 2014, 08:52:56 PM »
I explained in the other thread i messed up developement only put 300ml in my patterson because i have only been shooting 35mm for the last 6 months
The first shot the bellows were tight back to the body, exposure for 1 minute which gave me chance to go and sit on my bike for about 10 seconds, i think the tripod my have moved slightly because it was windy and i didnt have the legs fully extended so tomorrow, legs fully extended with a weight and 500ml of developer

And this one i moved closer and extended the bellows (not fully) i think exposure was the same

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:56:45 PM by gsgary »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: TLR pinhole results
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
Exposure and optimal pinhole size change when you extend the bellows.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
The aperture on the shutter goes up to F45 I was wondering whether to try using just the shutter for a few shots and see what happens

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »
Concept to execution in 24 hours! Impressive! :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
The aperture on the shutter goes up to F45 I was wondering whether to try using just the shutter for a few shots and see what happens
You're just going to get blur from that.
The aperture required to get a proper image should hover at around f/150....
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
All I did was spray tac some cooking foil between 2 washers and made the hole with a needle, I'll try again tomorrow if I get time

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:31:33 PM »
Concept to execution in 24 hours! Impressive! :)
Cheers but results were not great

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »
All I did was spray tac some cooking foil between 2 washers and made the hole with a needle, I'll try again tomorrow if I get time
One of the best things for pinhole making is aluminum cans. If you just poke it so that it makes a dimple and sand it until it opens-up, you can make a surprisingly small and round hole.
Francois

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Re: TLR pinhole resultså
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
I've done that, 600 grit works fine. 1200 even better. I then scan it at 2540 dpi and inspect it for irregularities. And of course measure the diameter by counting pixels. 30 pixels equals 0.3mm for instance.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:48:06 PM »
I've done that, 600 grit works fine. 1200 even better. I then scan it at 2540 dpi and inspect it for irregularities. And of course measure the diameter by counting pixels. 30 pixels equals 0.3mm for instance.
I can't be going to all that trouble can't I just guess :-[

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »

It's only 'f/45' with the 135mm lens (remember f numbers are related to focal length as well as aperture size). Actual aperture size would be about 3mm which is huge for a pinhole. As Francois said, you'll just get a blur.

A question (maybe a stupid one), did you remove the lens elements from behind the shutter as well as those in front?
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 05:56:16 PM »

It's only 'f/45' with the 135mm lens (remember f numbers are related to focal length as well as aperture size). Actual aperture size would be about 3mm which is huge for a pinhole. As Francois said, you'll just get a blur.

A question (maybe a stupid one), did you remove the lens elements from behind the shutter as well as those in front?
Yes it was removed

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 06:27:26 PM »
You need a pinhole of 0.400mm or so. Maybe a tad larger. 0.400 will give you an f-stop of 300, give or take Ideal for a pinhole.
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 08:13:57 PM »
You need a pinhole of 0.400mm or so. Maybe a tad larger. 0.400 will give you an f-stop of 300, give or take Ideal for a pinhole.
I used a pin so it must be right :D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »
It depends if you poke the pin completely through or if you just use it to make a dimple.
Pins can be surprisingly big when it comes to pinholes.

When I make mine out of an aluminum can, I use a sharpening stone to file down the edges.
Otherwise, I have some super small drill bits that I use when I can get away with a bigger hole.
Francois

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:17:47 PM »
I went out in the woods with the dogs and the TLR pinhole, I found a 20+ year old roll of Tmax 400 and I'm quite excited after hanging the negs because exposure was total guess work will post some tomorrow