Author Topic: Camera insurance  (Read 961 times)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Camera insurance
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:37 AM »
Is your camera equipment insured on your household policy?

Have just picked up on this recent FB posting and it seemed relevant considering the recent discussion regarding selling prints etc.

http://photographylife.com/insurance-photography-equipment#utm_source=rss%26utm_medium=rss%26utm_campaign=insurance-photography-equipment%26utm_reader=feedly

Perhaps our man on the inside (aka Late Developer) could clarify?

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

gsgary

• Self-Coat
Re: Camera insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:51:35 AM »
Not read the link but if you use it for business it will not be covered

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:56:39 AM »
Bear in mind that what I'm about to say applies in the UK. I have no idea whether (or by how much) the law elsewhere in the world differs. Also, I have only ever worked in a commercial insurance environment, so personal lines (household and motor insurance, etc. is NOT my forte).  I'm offering my comments for what they're worth and not as "professional advice". Don't blame me if you get it wrong....

The general rule is that proposers / policyholders should declare all information that the underwriter might deem "material" to their views on risk acceptance, rating and / or other terms that they might require.  As a homeowner's policy is amost always solely for non-commercial purposes, adding any form of equipment used for business purposes - whether used occasionally or full-time - carries the risk of the insurer declining a claim if the business use isn't declared to them and accepted by them. 

Therefore, whether you're a photographer, plumber, electrician etc. you should be thinking about taking out a specific cover for your tools and equipment and ensuring that the insurer knows precisely the purposes for which they are used and the location / environments in which they are used.

The same comments apply in respect of your liability for injury and/or damage to third parties and/or their property - and, indeed, losses that third parties could suffer as a result of your professional negligence.  Don't expect your homeowner policy insurer to pick up the tab for injuries/ damage sustained for your "business" activities.

Then there's your car insurance.  Are you insured for "social, domestic and pleasure" purposes only? If so, how would you expect your insurers to react if you were involved in an accident on the way to / from a paid shoot? Might be worth checking, eh?

There has been a piece of legislation come into force recently called "The Consumer Insurance Act".  This modifies the rules relating to the duty of disclosure as enshrined in Section 18 of the Marine Insurance Act of 1906 - which is the statute lawyers refer to when considering what is "material" as far as insurers are concerned.  In essence, this piece of legislation places the responsibility on the insurer to ask for information they require to underwrite risks pesented by "Consumers" (you need to check whether you are a "Consumer" as defined under the Act).  As a result, if the insurer doesn't ask, they may not be entitled to rely on "non-disclosure" to repudiate a claim.

However, the reason for non-disclosure can come into question and arguments can follow as to whether it was deliberate, reckless or unintentional.

This whole topic is a complicated issue and, to a large extent, it's understanding that if you earn a penny from your hobby, you could be construed as being a professional.

I can only recommend that you are completely open and honest with your insurers.  Declare everything about what you do, where you do it and whether you earn a (partial) living from it.

Use an insurance broker. Give them all the information they need to get the best and most appropriate cover for you.  Going "direct" to an insurer is okay if you really know what you're after and using internet price comparison sites is okay if you're looking for a general, one-size-fits-all solution.  One obvious benefit of using the services of a broker is that so long as you've given them all the relevant details, if they screw up, you have a chance of taking action against them for their professional negligence - even if you insurers refuse your claim.

Finally, the fact that you paid £100 for a camera that would cost £1,000 to replace means you must insure it for £1,000 if you're on a "new for old" basis of cover.  Insurance is no different to anything else - you get what you pay for and taking the cheapest option might prove an expensive folly in the long term.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

gsgary

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 11:33:27 AM »
Just remembered I'm with More Than and my work tools are covered, made 2 claims over the years and they paid out next day, so probably could get them covered for work

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 11:34:39 AM »
Many thanks for your, rather comprehensive, observations Paul!

What struck a chord with me was that you only need imply that your images were available for sale to fall foul of the insurers T&C's

I suppose the lesson is 'if in doubt get separate cover'

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:41:58 PM »
What struck a chord with me was that you only need imply that your images were available for sale to fall foul of the insurers T&C's

I suppose the lesson is 'if in doubt get separate cover'

Paul

....or at least tell your home / car insurers (in writing) and make sure you get written confirmation from them that they understand the situation and also details of any additional premium / increased excess or other terms that apply. 

Contrary to common perception, most insurers try to be as accommodating as possible because they don't want to lose your business - especially if you're not forever making claims.  Saying "no thanks, take your business elsewhere" is the line of last resort for most.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".