Author Topic: A Curious Story about David Burnett  (Read 1221 times)

Ezzie

• Self-Coat
  • Late to the party
    • Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W
Re: A Curious Story about David Burnett
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
Moving
Eirik

"..All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain,.." - Roy Batty
B+W film picture blog
My DIY and Caffenol blog
The Caffenol Cookbook and bible

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
David Burnett comes across as very much like a 'regular guy', who has developed a great talent for photographing the 'moment'. While viewing a filmed interview with Burnett I've come to the same conclusion, a very easy person to like.

My only minor quibble with the story is that one could get the idea that Burnett took the famous "napalm girl" photograph. That photo was taken by Nick Ut. I don't think that is what the writer intended, just that Burnett had walked the same road where that photograph was taken.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 02:48:54 PM by John Robison »

Verian

• Sheet Film
    • Verian Thomas
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »
The guy on the right in the un-cropped version of the image  loading his camera is Burnett, or so I've read. The internet does lie sometimes though.

The image is here: http://www.bagnewsnotes.com/files/2013/09/Nick-Ut-Uncropped-Version-Napalm-Girl-600x402.jpg
verianthomas.com
Last Updated: 21/11/2014
Instagrrrrrrrram & Flickr: verian67
Twitter: verian

mikec

• Photography and Vintage Film Cameras
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
I thought the author of the story did a pretty good job of exploring the nature of news and documentary photography.  It highlights the fact that the stories built by reporters and editors around photos may be truthful but yet capture only a small portion of the reality of the events.  It also is a good reminder that the subjects of such photographs may have experienced the situations portrayed very differently from the photographer and may have very different feelings about the images captured.

Burnett is on assignment from Time to photograph the elections in Chile which coincide with the 40th anniversary of the Pinochet coup.  He has made pictures with his Speed Graphic and his Holga of the presumptive winner, Michelle Bachelet, and they will likely appear in the magazine after the December run-off.

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:02:09 PM »
Thank you for sharing, the article was very enjoyable to read  :)

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »
After much asking, I was able to get david to speak at the B&H Event Space earlier this year. Here is the video of much of his talk (he talks about that famous incident where he was reloading his film while Nick Ut was getting the iconic image - and what happened after). Here is the link: Shooting Film in the Digital Age and Other Conundrums