Author Topic: film changing bags/tents  (Read 4277 times)

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
film changing bags/tents
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »
I'm looking for a compact film changing bag....

I currently have a Harrison tent that I love, but it is too big to backpack with and was wondering if anyone has a favorite changing bag that is a bit more back pack friendly?

Mainly I'm looking for something that is roomy but light and easy to travel with.

Thanks!   8)
Becky

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: film changing bags/tents
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
I can't be a good source for that as I had a run of the mill bag (I used it until the rubber coating in it disintegrated) which I hated a lot. Yes, bags work... but they keep falling on your hands. You're constantly looking for your stuff in them since it moves around each time you pick it or even move slightly. You have to be triply careful when handling scissors inside one just so you don't cut the bag. The only thing they have going for them is that they're easy to carry!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:48 PM »
Mine looks and is the size of, 2 or 3 thick fine-weave black tee-shirts sewn one inside the other, zipped the long end, and elasticated sleeves.  Pretty light and easy to roll up for a back-pack. I don't know the make unfortunately.

However its size means it's only good for 135/120 size cameras (to eek out those extra two shots on the beginning of the roll, or load IR film) and it's not big enough to change film in my 5x4 pinhole (opening the film box and taking out or exchanging exposed for unexposed) so doesn't get used often.

I've wondered about designing around the space I need to do that, getting the material and asking a needle gifted friend to sew one up for me.  There must be some black kite-fabric-like materials, light weight but light proof out there. I'll watch any tips that are are posted too.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:33:31 PM »
I once saw a plan for using two black sweatshirts (one wrong side around) inserted in each other and sewn together around the wrists and waist.

Kite fabric is too transparent to be fully light tight. It would need to have an inside layer that is thicker to block all the light.
Both nylon and Icarex (polyester) won't do. The only thing I can see that would do the job in the kite maker's arsenal is Dacron. But that's heavy, stiff and expensive.

Few people know but I'm a former kite flyer and kite maker...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

JoeV

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
I have several changing bags, the older, larger one was purchased from a local camera store years ago (Camera & Darkroom; don't know if they still carry changing bags), while the newer one, a bit smaller, is this Arista brand from Freestyle Photo:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/322730-Arista-Changing-Bag-27-in.-x-30-in.

I'm still able to reload 4x5 holders and my 5x7 pinhole camera with this bag. If memory serves me, my 8x10 foamcore box camera needs the older (and larger) changing bag.

~Joe

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
Just remember folks... don't use a cotton changing bag!! ;D

I use one of these http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/eng/product/calumet_changing_room/rm1000 I'm sure you can obtain them in the States

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 04:44:38 PM »
Hey Becky!

I read somewhere that the best thing you can do is to buy the biggest changing bag you can afford, so I bought a nylon sleeping bag. It gets hot and awkward at the park, but it's plenty roomy.

No, I bought this one: http://m.adorama.com/newui/search.aspx?sku=BLCBL

I'm not sure about 4x5 (no experience) but it's perfect for just about everything else.

Paul, I like that one a lot. I think the tent styles have some definite advantages.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:47:50 PM by Jack Johnson »

astrobeck

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
Thank you everyone!

8)

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 04:00:41 PM »