Author Topic: Another one bites the dust  (Read 2655 times)

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
Another one bites the dust
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:37 PM »
Stopped in to the lomgraphy store in Toronto today to see about some chrome. Seems they will be closing the doors august 18.

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Another one bites the dust
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
Unbelievable.
I did notice many of their stores closing. I believe that they're going back to the web only store profile.
Though I must admit I'm disappointed in a way as they seemed to be a cool concept.

I also noticed that their canadian website now carries a lot fewer things than they used to.
Since all our orders were processed by that store, I guess we'll be left with orders coming through from the US...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:35:00 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:44 PM »
hmm sometimes its hard to pay large property rental,
staff, council rates and all other overheads in a world that
is increasingly shopping online.

only place to get Lomography stuff in-store in Ireland is in Urban Outfitters, Dublin.

it is nice to walk into a store and buy gear over the counter  :(

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »
Yeah the story in New York is apparently staying so that will be the one that will service us. They used to carry agfa precisia and I stupidly bought it only to cross process it. We have a very reliable great priced out guy who does E6 here in Toronto now and I dont want to pay 18.99 for 1 roll of provia. So im on the hunt for decently priced E6. This lead to the whole conversation sadly. If anyone wants some cheap lomo stuff I'm sure they will liquidate everything. I'm curious to see if they have any old FED or zorki rangefinders that I could pick up for a decent price. After all they are literally down the street from me.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
I just buy Agfa Precisa off of ebay. Five rolls for $30 or less sometimes, even with shipping from overseas it's cheaper than buying Fuji here over the counter.

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
If Lomography want to have brick and motar locations they might try signing up with large retailers for leased "pads" within their stores. For this to work it would have to be various retailers from each country. You could stuff a lot of cameras and film on a 20X20 ft. pad, plus some display space for finished prints from their products. Even a cart for a leased space within a shopping mall would not involve near the expense of a stand alone location.

Another idea is a traveling booth at local art fairs and other event venues.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 06:42:42 PM »
The Chicago store is still open. There are only two stores in the US, so maybe they do okay...
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
I think all Canucks better get the stuff they want right now before the Toronto store closes for good!
I just got a message from Lomography saying that all future orders will be shipped from Brooklyn and will require higher shipping rates and have to get through customs...

And right now, they have free shipping on everything in store.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »
I'm down the street, anyone want something special? Id check it out tomorrow if I have some time.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 09:09:27 PM »
I just got a few things sent over. I can't wait to get the box!
Francois

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the heads up tintin. I am not that surprised. It seemed to me that they were trying to do the 'Apple store' experience which is a hard thing to pull off if you don't have the numbers - and I really don't expect film to be as ubiquitous as iPhones/pads/pods ;-)

Toronto is only an hour away, I am a lomo film user, and yet I never made it to the store. I always ordered online. I will probably place an order for some 110 bw - tho I am still waiting for that stupid purple film of theirs haha.

I don't think it will be the end of the world for us Canucks tho. I will probably order lomo film through FPP/Mike Raso. Also, it can be OK to order from the States if they ship mail vs courier ( as that avoids brokerage fees). 
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
That's sad news, but I guess the store overheads are just too much to maintain a store.

Here in Lincoln, UK, one of the local developers stocks Lomography film and cameras, and they feature in the store window, though I'm not sure whether Lomography pay for such promotion or if the store is promoting as a general part of their film services.  I'll ask next time I'm in...

mcduff

• Self-Coat
  • Loving the 645...
    • ...on Flickr...
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
FYI,  the online lomo canada store is clearing out some stuff. They are having a pretty big sale on their cameras, and more important to me they have a pretty good sale on black and white orca film. I also had a 20% off coupon code for the canada store good till end of today, that further dropped the price to about half the somewhat pricy $7.90 they charge! I think it worked out to $4.40 ea with taxes. I bought about 25 rolls (ridiculous) which in the freezer should last for quite a while as 110 is just something I shoot for fun now and then.
---------------
check out Don's stuff at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcduffco/

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
I went in on the weekend. 60% off all floor model cameras, 50% off vintage lomo/russian rangefinders/non new lomo stuff, 30% off all other cameras. Film not on sale. Im told they will ship what's left to new york.

I started by looking at an old kiev. When the lens promptly fell off I moved on to a lubitel. Couldn't justify paying $150 for it. Then I eyed up a horizon which seemed to be broken so I passed.

Also lots of user cameras for sale that were used for workshops and such. I'm also told that EVERYTHING in the store is for sale. That includes fixtures, furniture. I inquired about the neon camera sign they have out front. But have to facebook the general manager and I dont have facebook so screw that.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
I inquired about the neon camera sign they have out front. But have to facebook the general manager and I dont have facebook so screw that.

Shame; that would have been cool.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 08:51:44 PM »
If it wasn't in TO, I'd be ready to signup on the facepage just to get my hands on the sign!
I'm a sucker for good-ole neon signs... I just love the glow.
Francois

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
funny, im modelling 3D neon signs right now. From what I recall the sign is pretty huge. I'm a sucker for signs. I had just sold off all of the signs I had hanging around my old apartment before the move. No point in starting the collection again.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 09:41:56 PM »
I must admit that this is one of the drawbacks from store signs: they're usually HUGE!
Francois