Author Topic: Mounting a large lens on a small lens board  (Read 1487 times)

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
Mounting a large lens on a small lens board
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:13:08 PM »
Hi all,

I feel a bit stupid asking this question. I picked up a Heliar 30cm F4.5 from my father. He was using it on a bigger camera, but I would like to use it with a Technika lens board. The diameter of the lens itself is a few millimeters smaller than the Technika board, the diameter of the retaining ring is quite a bit larger than the board.

Has anyone here experience fixing large lenses on small boards. I am afraid if I drill a big hole in a Technika board and screw in the lens without retaining ring, it will just give way under the weight of the lens. Probably I could try to make a thinner ring (?). Or are there any adapters to go from a large to a small board (I imagine not - would be an odd thing)? Maybe the lens is a bit heavy for the camera (Chamonix) anyway???

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
Manuel

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Mounting a large lens on a small lens board
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
I know thin lock nuts exist.
Have you looked at the S.K. Grimes website? They specialize in that sort of stuff.

Also, depending on how the lensboard is made, it might be possible to fit a modified or custom board.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 08:15:06 AM »
I employ a rather 'dirty' method to this problem.

First i cut some aluminium sheet with a hacksaw, using an old board as a template, I then use a drill to make a circle of holes the size of the lens diameter. Hacksaw through the holes to make the circle, and use a file to smooth the edges ( or dremel etc ).

This is the dirty bit, place the lens through the hole, if the focal length permits it position the lens through to its mid point, or a point where it is balanced on the camera. Either side of the board position a jubillee clip, these often have large bolt housings on them - position the bolt housings opposite each other for stability. Tighten the clips so that the lens cannot move fore or aft. Then liberally cover with black tape, both to cover your hideous bodge and also to prevent light leaks.

This will work, you won't need the large flange - it's very cheap - SK Grimes will make a beautiful solution at an impressive price.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 09:47:41 AM »
Then liberally cover with black tape, both to cover your hideous bodge and also to prevent light leaks.

That sounds like my kind of fix-job.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »
I've actually got a lens that holds with a piece of radiator hose...
Francois

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for the replies  :D
I will see what I can do with my parent's workshop over Christmas. (Only have a hammer and a few screwdrivers myself).

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Does the front standard on your camera have a small recessed part?
If yes, I'll post some pics of my DIY lensboards for my Graflex.
Francois

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
The bottom part of the front standard is a bit recessed. The standard also has a cover with a hole that is smaller than the lens. The more I look at it, the easiest thing might be to build a complete wooden front frame with board. Have to give it some thought if it is worth while. The front movements would be very limited as the lens has a  compound shutter that would interfere with the standard when tilted.
I also have an old 5X7 plate camera which I have never used so far (it looks a bit fragile). Probably it will make more sense to put the lens onto this camera.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »
Here's what my DIY version looks like.
Thin plywood with some formica stuck to the front. Black acrylic craft paint. That simple. I rounded the corners so that they fit the front standard properly.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:27:28 PM by Francois »
Francois

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 01:50:36 AM »
Had to add this..I use pieces of Formica and then cut a hole close to the size then sand til I can fit the lens..use a "broccoli rubber band" to hold the lens in..works?

ManuelL

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks a lot Francois and Diane! You have given me some ideas there.