Author Topic: LPL C7700 Pro-Colour Enlarger  (Read 8172 times)

Kevin John Utting

• 35mm
LPL C7700 Pro-Colour Enlarger
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
Hello,

I've been on the lookout for an enlarger and I've found an LPL C7700 available locally for about $250.

I don't know much about enlargers apart from a course I did about 10 years ago, but I shoot 35mm, 35mm panoramic, medium format 6x6, 6x7 and some large format. I understand the enlarger can take 35mm and medium format - would I need to buy or make masks for non-standard formats? I'm assuming that I'd need a different enlarger for large format.

Does AU$250 sound reasonable? it comes with a couple of Rodenstock lenses, a timer, focus scope and a set of multigrade filters. Is there anything I need to look out for other than fungus on the lenses and a good even light source?

I'd be grateful for any input.

Best wishes,

Kevin

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: LPL C7700 Pro-Colour Enlarger
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
Some enlargers come with an adjustable mask in their film holders. Otherwise, you can simply cut a mask in cardboard or have one laser cut at Ponoko.com
I just checked and this enlarger can only take 6x7 film, so it would mean a different enlarger for 4x5.

Here's a link you might find interesting
http://www.khbphotografix.com/LPL/LPL7700series.htm
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
I used to have one. The negative holder is a glass type (I bought the optional anti-newton top glass) and, if I remember correctly,  has adjustable masking up to 6x7. The 'C' version is the colour version with a diffuse light source and built in filters. There's no filter drawer so the MG filters won't be useable but you can dial in equivalents (grade 5 might be a stretch). A$250 sounds cheap if it comes with lenses as well. I think they sold for around £250 in the UK. Only thing maybe worth checking, besides general mechanical operation, is the built in filters. They are glass and can break. Don't remember exactly how to get at them but remove the top off the lamp housing and you maybe need to remove the diffusion box to see the filters.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
just looked on Aussie ebay and I think you could get an entire darkroom for that price ! 
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Kevin John Utting

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:19:50 PM »
Thanks for all your responses!

Hopefully I'll be able to check it out tomorrow before I go away for the weekend. I'll let you all know how I got on.

Thanks for the link Francois - it appears that I can buy spares for it as well. I bet those carriers will cost me about the same as the enlarger!

There were quite a few enlargers over east requiring local pick-up on ebay, but unfortunately none in Perth where I am!

Greg Bartley

• sheet film !
    • my day job.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »
Perth has a thriving photo community all the best !
Greg Bartley

greg@gregbartley.com

Kevin John Utting

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:53:16 PM »
Well, I'm thrilled to bits, I bought the enlarger, knocked $60 off the price and it's working great as far as I can tell. Thanks for all the good advice!

The only issue now is finding darkroom supplies in Perth. I've got a stash of chemicals that I bought with me from Singapore, but no paper.

I reckon if worst comes to the worst I can buy a stack from B&H along with a few other goodies...