Author Topic: Shooting with APS film  (Read 1555 times)

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
Shooting with APS film
« on: February 18, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
So I saw this thread on the FPP's flickr pool about APS film/cameras in general and I really like the results and got for free 2 rolls of APS film. Does anybody shoot with this capturing medium ? If so, do you have examples and recommandations ?

Thanks  ;)

JPC

Re: Shooting with APS film
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:29:06 PM »
I still shoot aps when I can. I have a Nikon Pronea, Minolta Vectis S1 and S100, Canon IX and IX7 plus a load of compacts. I stocked up on film whenever I found it cheap, there's about 50 rolls in my fridge. I get them processed in my local Asda/Walmart. I have the negs scanned onto cd as I don't have a scanner. I love the cameras as they are all super quality and the lenses fantastic quality. The small neg size, however, means really grainy enlarged images. Shame really. If I can find some pics I will post them when I get home :)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
I have never shot with APS and don't think I will.
For a long time, I was drooling over a Canon Elph/Ixus. Fantastic looking little camera. But by the time I finished evaluating if they were worth the money, APS had all but disappeared!

The sad thing about APS is that it can't be home processed unless you modify a 35mm spool. And then, you have to sleeve the negatives because you need a special punch to shape the end of the film so that it can be re-attached to the cassette.

I think this APS revival thing is a bit of Mike Raso's work as I don't think the format will ever come back.
110 had a chance because it allows very small cameras to be used.
But APS, it's too close to 35mm to be of any serious advantage.

When they were designing the APS, I remember reading that it was supposed to be 35mm compatible with an added magnetic track to write some more data. Just like all prototypes, somebody screwed-up along the way and decided to make it incompatible.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Yglotte

• A 15 year old film "photographer"
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 09:21:08 PM »
I think I'm going to buy a Pronea and 6 Rolls from a french forum (Polaroid-Passion  8) ) shoot it, then go back to 35mm while still looking for APS film

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
If you really want to try it, it's a way to do it.
Just don't pay too much for the camera...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LEAFotography

• Peel Apart
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
It's increasingly difficult to get APS in the UK, though I picked up 10 for Ma as the shops in her town no longer stock it.  She uses APS (though she's just bought her first digital). 

I found out recently she throws the cartridges away once she's had her reprints done :(  So I've asked her to save the last ones and I'll keep them instead. I don't know where I got my hoarding genes from, not from her :D

SLVR

• Self-Coat
  • 100% Film
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »
I recently sent out a huge box of APS film to Mr Raso. Something like 90 cartridges. The place i got it from still has some leftover if theres any others who want to try to catch the APS bug.