Author Topic: sussex meet-up saturday 9th feb  (Read 4296 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
sussex meet-up saturday 9th feb
« on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
OK - festivities duly dealt with ... We can get on with sorting out the 9th Feb.

Can someone with local knowledge sort out an itinerary? I think the requests were for Cuckmere/ Seven sisters, Newhaven and a nice pub for lunch? Not sure whether its best to start with cuckmere, then move on to Newhaven or vice versa?

Maybe we'll also need an alternative should the weather be bad? Maybe De-La-Warr/Bexhill?

Its probably best for someone in the know to take executive control, otherwise we'll all have a different opinion and never decide/ agree (see Emma's holga post for example :) )

Really excited about this one.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: sussex meet-up saturday 9th feb
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:50 AM »
A personal plea.....

When someone with good local knowledge makes the executive decisions as mentioned by Leon, can they post comment on the suitability (or otherwise) for those of us who have dodgy knees. I'm not exactly a walking stick or wheelchair user but I don't want to hold up proceedings for anyone.

To be clear, I am not in any way trying to influence the venue or the routes to be taken - I just need to have the details in advance, so I can decide whether it's worth making the early start.

Slow walks up / down gentle inclines are not a problem - but hikes up and down steep, uneven, rocky paths / steps are something I can't cope with right now.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
Are people aware of the 'Downlander' tickets?

The All Network Downlander is £12.50 for unlimited travel on Southern trains as well as Brighton & Hove Buses, The Cuckmere Community Bus, Eastbourne Buses and East Sussex County Council ‘rider buses’.

It's a good saving!

Emma

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
I live about 15 minutes away!

Downlander tickets may be useful for those coming from elsewhere in Sussex, although I haven't seen those before (And I live here!)

There are two walks around 7 Sisters: from Seaford, which is long, steep and rocky, or the more popular one from 7 sisters country park centre to the coast. This one is a path along the meanders of the river Cuckmere which comes out on the sea front.

For those without a car like me, the best option will be to meet in Newhaven for the first part of the day, then catch a bus from Newhaven to Seven Sisters. There is a pub there, although it apparently is pretty bad. There are also buses from there to Eastbourne, or all the way back to Brighton for a larger train station.

twitter: @effy_yeomans

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »
That sounds like a plan Emma - although I think we need a nice pub  with nice food, as opposed to a bad pub - maybe there is something between Newhaven and the 7 sisters? Maybe you can do some research for us over the next few weeks?

L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »
Would anyone be interested in making this a two day event? Maybe move along the coast towards Dungeness on the Sunday?

I can't commit just yet but would probably stay in the area if I do come.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 03:58:23 PM »
I'd definitely be happy to go to Dungeness on the Sunday. Good idea Peter. The marsh near appledore is nice too:

L.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 04:28:47 PM »
Would anyone be interested in making this a two day event? Maybe move along the coast towards Dungeness on the Sunday?

I'd probably be more interested in the second day of a two day event than the first day of the one day event - I think!  :-\ Even though have you been in the pub in Dungeness!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »

Even though have you been in the pub in Dungeness!

Which one Nigel? The Pilot is quite nice I thought - great fish and chips there.
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Even though have you been in the pub in Dungeness!

Not sure whether that was a positive or negative comment you're making there Nigel. I haven't been to the pub anyway.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »
I'd definitely be happy to go to Dungeness on the Sunday. Good idea Peter. The marsh near appledore is nice too:

I really want to revisit Pett Level and Camber Sands again if possible but neither should take a lot of time. Then Dungeness as I've never been before (well, I did drive down the road once). I've always wanted to visit Fairfield Church as well but depends on time.

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »
Not sure whether that was a positive or negative comment you're making there Nigel. I haven't been to the pub anyway.

Maybe I'm being a little unfair to the pub, it was a very long time ago, but it was one of those situations where I walked in on my own and everyone stopped talking and turned to look at 'the stranger'! I seem to remember I bought a bag of crisps and left!

website

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
Bugger, this is becoming complicated! I may have to choose one or the other, but, I'm excited by both.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:01 PM »
I've checked a couple of maps and the terrain around 7 Sisters / Cuckmere looks a bit heavy-going for me at present, though I would like to go there at some point - just not if I'm likely to be trailing behind everyone else.

If anyone is going to take up Peter's idea of a second day around Dungeness, I am very much up for that as I've only shot digital there and would welcome the opportunity of re-visiting.

If anyone needs a lift and lives not far off the A12, M25 or M20 between Braintree and Dungeness, then PM me. It will be an early start, though - so be warned..... :o

Nigel

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
Dungeness ........

No by nigelrumsey, on Flickr

Shh! by nigelrumsey, on Flickr

website

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:26 PM »
I think that taking in Pett Level, Camber and Dungeness in one day, given that they are 20 miles apart on slow roads, and the restricted winter daylight hours, is a bit unrealistic  - at my shooting speeds that is.

If the general,preference is for Dungeness, we can just do that on the Saturday instead?

I don't really mind to be honest, I'll go to both, or either.

Someone needs to take masterful control of this freewheeling animal :)

Peter, Paul M and I have all done our bit on other days, so we need another fw to step up to the plate.
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »
Bugger, this is becoming complicated!
You're not wrong Phil.

I just was thinking that, if I'm coming, I'd do a bit more on the Sunday and if anyone wanted to join in, then all the better.

I think we should stick with the Saturday plan (that's the plan that no one has come up with yet) and, if anyone is interested, arrange a second meeting on Sunday at Dungeness. People can come to either or both.

Personally, depending on tides (which is another complication), I'll be calling in to Pett Level on the way to Dungeness (I can give Camber a miss if necessary) and if anyone else wants to join me, that'll be great.

Here's stuff I took in the area last time if it helps (probably to confuse).

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5370.0

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 09:33:35 PM »
Peter, there is a rough plan for Saturday - Newhaven am, cuckmere pm, pub somewhere in the middle.
L.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 09:50:02 PM »
I'm really up for one of the days. Bath in gert Zumerzet is a tidy drive so both may well be out, but, unless me film leader gets caught in me film back, I'll be there in one form or another  ;D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:18 PM »
Bugger, this is becoming complicated!
You're not wrong Phil.

I just was thinking that, if I'm coming, I'd do a bit more on the Sunday and if anyone wanted to join in, then all the better.

I think we should stick with the Saturday plan (that's the plan that no one has come up with yet) and, if anyone is interested, arrange a second meeting on Sunday at Dungeness. People can come to either or both.

Personally, depending on tides (which is another complication), I'll be calling in to Pett Level on the way to Dungeness (I can give Camber a miss if necessary) and if anyone else wants to join me, that'll be great.

Here's stuff I took in the area last time if it helps (probably to confuse).

http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=5370.0

Peter,

Although I'd love to do both days, the Sunday option is my preference. Therefore, if you (+ anyone else) are heading for Dungeness, Camber or somewhere in that locale on Sunday, please count me (and Lara) in.

Absolutely no disrespect to the FW-ers heading for Cuckmere on Saturday but the terrain doesn't appeal to me in my current condition. If only the Saturday outing goes ahead - again, no worries. I can always catch up with you all at the next outing....

DonkeyDave

• Sheet Film
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
Hi I'm 'local'

High tide is 10:30 GMT and at 6.9m fairly high - if anyone wants to get onto the Beach at Hope Gap - that would be 12:30pm at the earliest.

Although brought up in Seaford - I don't really know its neighbour Newhaven well, I have to admit it's never really struck as a photogenic place? There is a small beach, a port that has restricted access, and a large amount of new social housing. Like a lot of the towns the town centre is full of pound shops and boarded up buildings. Having said that - I don't know it well.

With Seaford there is a large open and largely bleak shingle beach. There is a year round coffee shop with outside seating, and down the eastern end is a man made sea defence and spit called Splash Point that used to be where the sewage came out. That end has some photographic opportunities.

On top of the cliff there is a large car park, with a shale path down to the Cuckmere's exit at the sea, with good views of the Seven Sisters. All but the last bit which becomes steep would be accessable for most. There is a grass path down to sea steps and the beach, which is little known about and very photogenic, rock pool, white cliffs etc. My 70 yr old Dad can get down there with ease but would be difficult for anyone with disability.

The other side of the valley, you can park at a NT car park and walk along a flat concrete path to the sea, this with a bit if help would be wheelchair accessable. A short climb also takes you to 'Brandts View' of the Cuckmere meanders.

There is a pub called the Golden Galleon just next to the Cuckmere road bridge crossing - my first job there 22 years ago - it was quite good then. No idea now. Large car park.

Transport - train at Newhaven/Seaford - I have an 12 yr old smelly estate and can help the carless, as I'm sure can many others.

Its Feb though - and could be a complete and utter wash out. I'm also anxious that we would break up the group with the less fit.
There seems to be a lot of interest in going to Dungeness on this thread. I've been looking for an excuse to go there for ages!

We have a date Feb 9th - I have it booked off with my family! Why don't the people who are definately going - commit  on this  thread. At this stage the hardest thing for most is to get the time off, we can finalise where we are going once we know numbers.

If we were to vote, I'd go to Dungeness - what are others thoughts.

I think it might be wise to have a plan B - if its going to rain all day, could plan B - be Brighton. We are never going to get stuck with access, food, drink, photographic opportunities there. Parking is pricey on the seafront, but reasonable in Churchill Square.

So my 'vote' would be
Feb 9th
Dungeness
Plan B - Brighton

for the carless - I'm sure we can arrange pick ups - what ever the weather/destination

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:53 AM »
We did decide on locations in the original thread before Christmas. The date was decided on in a poll.

But , fcuk it, Dungeness is the new location, so I'm locking this down, and starting new thread.
L.