Author Topic: Hello fellow wasters!  (Read 4545 times)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
  • Yes, you can still get film for it!
    • Being Coy
Hello fellow wasters!
« on: December 08, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »
I can't find a specific area or thread for intros, so I guess I'll do this here?

I'm Chris and I found this forum through a Tapatalk search one day. I decided to take a look around about a week later, and then joined. I'm still not sure how this particular forum works, so forgive me for my errors until I get properly acquainted.

I'm 32, and live in Houston TX but I'm originally from South Louisiana. I originally learned photography in my high school darkroom class in 1995. Fast forward to 2008 - I purchased my first DSLR and became knee deep in mouse clicks. Around August 2011 I became fed up with what I sarcastically call the 'rat race' and decided that digital photography was not for me. I hated the 'race' of keeping up with the latest gear, technology, and software upgrades - and heaven knows I hated sitting in front of a computer for hours on in. I decided to try 35mm again, and started with a Nikon FM that I found on eBay. That first roll a year and a half ago led me into the onslaught of chemicals, film cannisters, trays, paper boxes, filters, safelights, and general mess that is now forcefully contained in  my household utility room. There's a washer and dryer still in there somewhere, but you can't see it anymore due to the enlarger and stuff that's covering them.

I still have the Nikon FM, but I also shoot a Nikon F100, Hasselblad 500cm, a couple of Kodak Brownie Hawkeye's, some Bencini Koroll box cameras, a German Certo Phot, Polaroid Land Cameras - and I recently bough an Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5 that I just shot yesterday for the first time, as well as a Yashica 635 TLR that I still have yet to shoot. And any day now a Polaroid SX70 is due to arrive on my doorstep so I'll be trying some Impossible stuff too. My theory is "try it all, before setting on one or the other..." so that's what I'm doing.

I came back to film because of the hand on process. For me it is very relaxing. I am a 911 operator and  police dispatcher by trade, so I operate in a very high stress environment 12 hours a day. When I go into the darkroom with a little jazz music and some negatives, it really takes me out of everything and allows me to remove myself from my daily work life. I also enjoy the fact that there isn't a mouse click, or preset in the world that can make someone else's image look like the image that I create under my enlarger. It's mine,  my hands made it - not a computer.

Anyway, that's me in summary. I'm also on other film forums like APUG and LFF under the same username, and I'm also on twitter @coyimages.

Thanks for allowing me to join, and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you!

Christopher

"Film feeds my soul." ~ Keith Moss

astrobeck

Re: Hello fellow wasters!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
as a former Houstonian, let me say howdy!    8)
You have found the right place and great to meet you! 
Your camera collection sounds great and you'll fit in just fine here.
We're a mixed lot from all over the globe and everyone is really friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about film and cameras.
There are other filmwasters here that still live in Houston that pop in occasionally, though haven't posted in a while.

Feel free to post pictures of yourself in the Meet the Filmwasters thread, you'll find it up above this one.

Glad you found us!

I'll be in Houston (my family is still there) over the holidays so I hope to have nice weather.    :)

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »

I'll be in Houston (my family is still there) over the holidays so I hope to have nice weather.    :)

It was 75 yesterday! LOL In December!

We recently moved here from North Texas (Denton area) and we are so not used to this weather. We put Christmas lights on the house this year in shorts and sandals, and I'm still driving the the top down on the Jeep! LOL
Christopher

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:18:20 PM »
Welcome, Christopher.

It would appear that you have all that you need and more to settle in at Filmwasters. I am quite familiar with George Bush International!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 07:33:10 PM »
Welcome to FWs.

Now, show us some pictures.

PS, don't forget to buy the book :)
L.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Welcome, Christopher.

It would appear that you have all that you need and more to settle in at Filmwasters. I am quite familiar with George Bush International!

And that doesn't include everything I've sold in the last few months! LOL

I'm a bit of a camera hog. I finally had to clean out my display cabinet and sell about two tubs full of bodies... to make room for more. LOL

I enjoy all the different bodies and formats. I figure one of these days I'll pick one and decide to master it properly. But I've got 13 years until an early retirement, when I'll attempt to make photography a 2nd career, so right now I'm doing as much experimenting as I can.
Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
Welcome to FWs.

I was looking at the book a little earlier! May end up being a stocking stuffer for me!
Christopher

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
Welcome! You are in the right place!

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 08:27:10 PM »
Welcome!
Pretty much everything is loosely organized around here. Feel free to kick back :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
RE: Hello fellow wasters!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 12:33:14 AM »
Hi Christopher and welcome to Filmwasters. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself; it's always great to read about new faces and their routes (back) into analogue photography.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

gary m

• Sheet Film
  • Listen to the picture
    • Gary Moyer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 03:11:50 PM »
Welcome Chris, I beleive I have been talking to you on twitter also.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:11 PM »
Welcome Chris, I beleive I have been talking to you on twitter also.

YOU HAVE!! LOL Nice to "see" a familiar face here!!
Christopher

Alan

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
Welcome Christopher!

Just followed you on the twit place  :D

I enjoyed your intro. I too sold all my D-camera gear about 2 years ago .  . . or more
and enjoying my time shooting film.

oh yea, enjoyed a stroll around your site!

Alan

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »
Welcome to FWs.

;D ;D ;D

Welcome Chris, you will sure enjoy this place  ;)

Carlos.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »
Bem Vindo amigo! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:10:50 AM »

oh yea, enjoyed a stroll around your site!

Alan

I just started redoing my site! LOL the only picture that's mine is the dog on the landing page. My goal is to have it completed by the end of the year.
Christopher

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:21:22 AM »
Another dog 'tog? We like a dog picture or 3 here at fw.com

meggie by LeonTaylor27, on Flickr
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 08:49:30 AM »
amen to not sitting in front of the computer any more than necessary!

haha, welcome Christopher :) it's nice getting to know you, I hope you'll like it here. I'm liking your grape(?) shots~ kind of a bleached look to them.
/jonas

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 11:48:02 AM »
Welcome Christopher. I'm sure you will enjoy filmwasters, you seem to have been bitten by the film bug, no turning back...
Regards
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »

Yes, I had a brick and mortar studio with my sister in law for a few years. Weddings were our bread and butter, but pets were my side stuff. I made quite a bit from it. My pet business was called The Modern Mutt. It was all in studio, seamless paper work.

DaneParty by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

After the first of the year, I'll be working on getting business set back up doing this kind of stuff on location, using speed lights and umbrellas. This was shot with my Mamiya C33 on TriX.

BWBoxer2 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

Christopher

ChristopherCoy

• Peel Apart
    • Being Coy
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
This was our studio. Shot on FujiFP3000b using a Polaroid 420.

MStudios by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr
Christopher

John Robison

• Sheet Film
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »
Greetings from fellow filmwaster and short time member in wet Washington state.

rolo

• What comes out gray is really red.
    • rolopix!
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »
Greetings and Happy New Year from Massachusetts. Filmwasters is one of the coziest spots on the Web.

John

• JB Photography Galleries
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »

I go into the darkroom with a little jazz music and some negatives, it really takes me out of everything and allows me to remove myself from my daily work life. I also enjoy the fact that there isn't a mouse click, or preset in the world that can make someone else's image look like the image that I create under my enlarger. It's mine,  my hands made it - not a computer.

Hi Chris,
Welcome to Filmwasters, I like this forum too, it has a nice 'atmosphere', if you know what I mean.

I like sports commentary on the radio when I'm in the darkroom, football (soccer) or cricket. I share your reasons for choosing traditional photography, it's made through your own efforts. I like you feel ownership of the print and feel pride into the hard work that's gone into it. I'm not anti digital, and I'm sure that's hard too, but it doesn't feel the same to me.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »

Yes, I had a brick and mortar studio with my sister in law for a few years. Weddings were our bread and butter, but pets were my side stuff. I made quite a bit from it. My pet business was called The Modern Mutt. It was all in studio, seamless paper work.

DaneParty by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

After the first of the year, I'll be working on getting business set back up doing this kind of stuff on location, using speed lights and umbrellas. This was shot with my Mamiya C33 on TriX.

BWBoxer2 by ChristopherCoy, on Flickr

Wow. I adore Boxers. Used to have one called "Sooty" and will have one again once I hit retirement....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".