Author Topic: mounting prints?  (Read 948 times)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
mounting prints?
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:27 PM »
I've been thinking about what alternatives I have for presenting photos on a group exhibition later this week. I've been looking at black, white and dark wooded frames with passepartout (or mat, what you call it) but nothing really suited the liths like I wanted so I ended up going on a cheap route with a corkboard haha. the ruggedness looked a bit better to me than clean white and I was uncertain about using black for these. atleast this time.

here's some more I've used/thought about:
  • as this is an outdoor exhibition, I was thinking about just using passepartout with an extra sheet behind the print.
  • last year I bought two big paintings with frames and used the back, painted black. putting the prints up with double sided tape
    (I do not dare try to take them of though!)
  • in the darkroom I use I've seen many prints glued on a piece of cardboard of the same size as the print. what glue would be recommended for this?

but I'd be interested to hear what you do with yours. :)
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: mounting prints?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »
Well, if you decide to mount pictures on a board, the best ways are dry mounting tissue and spray mount. But just remember that these are permanent.
You can also do some wet mounting using either white glue or flour glue. But if you do this, you have to put a scrap print face in the glue on the back of the board to even out the tension. If you don't do that, you'll just end-up with a curved board...

I've once seen images in a frame with a piece of acrylic on the front that were held with nails...

Since it'll be outdoors, I don't know what level of weather resistance you need though...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
thanks francois, that gives me something to look further into. I don't know what most of these methods are called since I'm very much a newbie with the mounting thing.

oh, and don't worry about weather resistance. I don't! well, I'll have something so I can cover them up if need be but I'm sure it'll be sun and clear skies -knock on wood! let's not talk more on that detail ;)
/jonas

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
Well, if you decide to mount pictures on a board, the best ways are dry mounting tissue and spray mount. But just remember that these are permanent.

I am also interested in this topic.. Can you use dry mounting tissue (if you find one on this side of the big water) without mounting press and tacking iron?
How about those sprays? Won't they damage dakroom FB prints?

Thanks
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »
For sprays, just check the Ph level on the can. They always mention it. But depending on the type of glue, there is always possibility to damage the print while mounting it. Some of those sprays hold so well that if you get an air bubble (or worse, a print that sticks onto itself), you can pretty much forget the whole thing.

Mounting tissue is much more forgiving as it's totally dry. When I use some, I just use an old iron. Super easy.

First, I iron both the print (on both sides) and the mounting board. This removes all the humidity that might be left. I use some tracing paper on top of everything to prevent damaging the print.

Next, I cut the tissue to the size of the print. To make sure it stays aligned, I make a small X in the center of the tissue paper with the iron. The mounting paper is now held to the print. Next, I center the print on the mounting board. Once I'm centered, I lift the corners of the print and just tack the corners of the paper making sure my tacks are not on the edge. Now, the print is held loosely and I can look at it to make sure the job is OK. Once I'm satisfied, I put the tracing paper on top of the print and iron away.

I have an old pack of mounting tissue made by Kodak sometime in the 1970's... the stuff really lasts forever as long as it doesn't get wet.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Andrej K

• Sheet Film
    • Andrej Kutarna Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
Francois,
thank you for in-depth explanation. Sounds very good to me. Now I only have to locate some tissue within EU/UK. Any ideas anyone?
Website of sorts, as well as ipernity thing.