Author Topic: Finally ready to start developing film!!  (Read 1683 times)

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
Finally ready to start developing film!!
« on: July 18, 2012, 05:36:02 AM »
For those of you who do not know me, I am a landscape/nature photographer (living on a remote, windswept and stunningly scenic island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland) and a collector of vintage cameras. I have a large display cabinet filled with flawless old SLR's, rangefinders, folders/box cameras, and my personal favorite, a gorgeous Yashica 635 dual format TLR. I have not used most of these cameras; it has been many years since I have shot with film. This is about to change, even though I am bedridden most of the time, due to a serious and permanent spinal injury. Although immobile for the most part, I do experience the odd "good" day, and I am making it my mission to get up and about on my good days, and start using some of these lovely old cameras!

And not only that, but I have decided to do my own developing for the first time in 35 years! In fact, yesterday I went online and ordered what I hope is everything I will need to start developing my own b&w film, but it has been so long I fear I may have missed something. Here is a list of what I have ordered:

- Film (duh!)
- Paterson Super System 4 tank with two adjustable reels
- Ilford Ilfosol-3 Film Developer
- Ilford Ilfostop Stop Bath
- Ilford Rapid Fixer
- Edwal Wetting Agent
- Darkroom Thermometer
- ClearFile Archival Plus Negative Sleeves (6X6 and 35mm)
- Film clips
- Set of graduated cylinders
- Beaker cups (set... small to large)
- Funnels (set of 3)
- Digital timer
- Large graduated pitcher

Am I on the right track? Anything else that I need to begin? It has been a VERY long time since I have done this, so of course I am interested in hearing any/all suggestions you may be able to provide. I am about to order a new Epson V600 flat bed scanner; ($179.99) seems to be the best choice for my limited budget. (would love to hear from anyone who has this scanner, and what your thoughts are) I don't think I will need to buy a changing bag, as I have a light-tight room.

Because I live in such a remote region, there is nowhere within hundreds of miles to buy film or darkroom supplies. Also, any retailer in Canada is much more expensive than the USA, so although I would prefer to shop Canadian, I have to be realistic and watch my pennies, due to my very modest disability pension. So I buy most everything I require from either B&H or Freestyle; Even after duty/brokerage fees, it works out to about half the cost of buying here in Canada! (if someone can point me to an affordable Canadian retailer, I will be eternally grateful!)

Here is a list of 15 cameras that I plan to use over the next few months for capturing my Fogo Island (Newfoundland) landscapes:

- Minolta Maxxum 700si
- Minolta Maxxum 7000
- Canon AT-1
- Canon AE-1
- Cosina CT-1 "Super"
- Canon Canonet 28
- FED 2 (D6)
- Zorki-4
- Yashica Electro 35 GSN
- Minolta Hi-Matic "F"
- Yashica 635 TLR

Modified for 120 film:

- Kodak Duaflex I
- Kodak Brownie Flash Six-20
- Kodak Autographic 1A
- Kodak Brownie Target Six-16

The Canon AT-1 that I listed above is the very camera I used during my high school photography class back in 1977! My brother purchased it new and had allowed me to use it for my course. He recently informed me that he kept it for all of these years; had it sitting on a book shelf. You can imagine my excitement when he mailed it to me! I was amazed to see that it is still in beautiful condition! (only needed light seals) When I opened the parcel it brought back a lot of fond memories for me!

So, that's my story. This is all new to me again, so I will be posting soon to either show you my handiwork or to plead for assistance. I'm looking for all the advice I can get; hoping to hear from many of you with any pointers that may help me get through this!

Thanks,
Glen

calbisu

• Self-Coat
Re: Finally ready to start developing film!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
Hi Glen!

It seems that you have set up a nice equipment and ready to start!

From my side I would add a washer/cleaner like  Kodak Hypo Clean, after the fixer stage.

Waiting to see developing result from that terrific landscape you live in  ;)

Carlos.

This-is-damion

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • Damion Rice
Finally ready to start developing film!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Changing bag or do you have a dark room?

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:47:48 AM »
Hi Glen.

You have an interesting set of cameras there. Hopefully, they will click into action readily but don't be too surprised if some of them are a bit "ring rusty" and need a bit of coaxing.

The processing kit sounds spot on. I've not done any film processing for about the same time as you but I can't think of anything more than has been listed above - aside, perhaps, from a loupe and a light panel. If you're scanning your negs, these aren't essential but I like using mine anyway.

Here's hoping you have many more "good" days than bad ones and I'm sure we're all looking forward to views of your island.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »
Sounds like you're pretty well set up, Glen.  You may want to add to your list (if you haven't already got them) some storage containers for the mixed up chemical solutions that are re-usable, like stop bath and fixer.  A washer hose to connect the developing tank to the cold tap is also useful, but not essential (Paterson make one with a filter).
Good luck.
Nick

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 02:08:37 PM »
You've got what seems like a pretty good setup going there. I just hope all that salty air won't corrode out the aluminum rings of the cameras...

As far as film goes, I just recently discovered a place in Toronto called FilmPlus. They seem to carry a pretty good selection including some hard to find 127 format film. I've never done business with them but I might just give it a try. Since they say they ship with Canada Post, their rates should be pretty reasonable. Maybe TinTin knows about them...

Hypo clearing agent is a good idea if you're using a well for your drinking water since it will reduce the washing time.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »

Glen, looks to me like you are set to go! Just had a look at your web site..Especially love your black and white images..Thinking I need to put Newfoundland on my list of places to see..Visited Iceland last year..maybe I will try for Newfoundland next!
Thank you for sharing your beautiful scenery :)

irv_b

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »
Good on you Glen!
I have not long started developing film myself and enjoying the outcome each time I see the negs come off the spiral it give me a thrill (easily pleased I know).
I have to agree with Diane - there are so many great images on your website!

astrobeck

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »
Welcome welcome!
I also hope you have a LOT more good days!
Your kit sounds good, just need to get clicking as you say.
Newfoundland has been on my list of places to go for some time, so maybe sometime I will get there as see it firsthand.

All my best to you and am looking forward to your results.
And once again, welcome to filmwasters!
p.s.  Freestyle is where I buy most all of my supplies!

Glen

• 35mm
    • Focus On Newfoundland
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:02 PM »
Thank-you Carlos. Once I get my first roll developed, Ill let you know how I made out!

Damion, I don't have a changing bag, but one room in my house in completely darkened, so I should be fine.

Late Developer, thank-you for your kind well-wishes, and some excellent tips!

Thanks Nick; I do have several storage containers.

Hi Francois, I checked out your link to the Toronto store and I see they don't list any prices, so I will send them an email. Thanks!

Diane, thank-you for such kind comments regarding my photography; very much appreciated! You would not regret putting Newfoundland on your radar for next summer! It is quite similar to Iceland, Greenland and Faroe Islands.

Irv_B, thanks to you also, for your kind comments about my photography!

Hi Astrobeck, thank-you for such a friendly greeting! Yes, Freestyle has great prices and selection, as does B&H for all things film related!

I will keep you all posted as to my progress. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

Glen

Terry

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
Welcome Glen!

Some lovely stuff on your website.  But one question comes to mind: any plans to shoot large format?  The sort of landscapes you've got there seem to be begging for LF.....