Author Topic: notebooks?  (Read 4253 times)

astrobeck

notebooks?
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »
I'm on the hunt for a nice blank journal to keep photo field notes and sunrise/sunset times in.
Currently I use a Leather Etc. blank page journal for notes, ( I doodle and sketch while waiting on light to change sometimes) but need to find another one since I can't find the Leather Etc. ones any longer.

I like blank pages, and a size somewhere around 8.5 x 5.5 inches so I can stow it in my back pack.  I also like an elastic loop to hold a pen or pencil.
Moleskine's are more expensive than what I really want to pay, plus I don't really care for the tooth of the paper in them so was wondering what some of you use and if you have a favorite for note-taking/sketching.
I saw an Alwych, that is UK based and seems to be weather proof?  But I don't think I can get them in the USA.

All comments and ideas welcome as I need to replace my worn one soon.
Mucho thanks!  :)

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: notebooks?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:36:34 PM »
Hi Becky

I use the Black n' Red notebooks for all my notes in the field with a small Daler Rowney sketch pad for my 'while i'm waiting for the light' sketches

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

tani.P

• Spaghetti Tree
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
I use the cheapo Moleskine cahiers that come in a three pack for random notes and to keep track of my 120 shots to make sure I don't double-expose or overwind.
Check out Rhodia's offerings I think they have some with the elastic closure.

Ordinal

• chasing daisies...
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 05:55:24 PM »
I don't actually keep photo records in it, but my main journal is a plain Rhodia Webnotebook. It's not specifically sold as being weatherproof, but it has a thick waterproof cover and the paper is tough and high quality, much better than the stuff in Moleskines. (I write with fountain pens, and Moleskine paper is almost unusable with proper inks.) They are fairly expensive, but unless you really race through them, it doesn't work out all that pricey.

Rhodia also make soft cover cahiers and notepads, but those generally have squared paper.
chasing daisies... - a blog about things
redspotted on Flickr - pictures of stuff

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
Hey Becky.

If you've got a smartphone or a tablet / laptop, why not download "The Photographer's Ephemeris":

http://photoephemeris.com/

If you haven't come across it before, it's a sun and moon calculator that works anywhere on the planet and at any altitude. I downloaded my version for a few quid. I don't use it a great deal but I'm just happy it's there if I need it.

Otherwise, I'm a Moleskine fan......
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
Personally, I don't carry notebooks but I think you might find what you're looking for in the Dayrunner brand. Pages can be added and removed since it's a binder and they can be had for super cheap if you're lucky enough to find one on the liquidation table at your local Staples.

If all else fails, Mead First class spiral bound book with a mailman's rubber band tied to the spiral using a lark's head knot... cheap and dirty but it works.

You might also want to check this out just for fun :)
http://www.suck.uk.com/products/notebookpencil/?category=stationery
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 01:12:05 AM »
Beck, the ones you mentioned  are available from amazon...I like the looks of these!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
I have to say that I'm a Moleskine fan.  They do cost a fair amount, but usually are to be found cheap somewhere, and often in a 3 for 2 deal also. Mind you, I have tons of them, none of which have ever been filled up - one for teaching, one for LF, one for MF, one for print records, one for general notes, one for Baking ... I think I may have a problem  :-[
L.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
I usually go for muji. the ones with ringed sides are good if you want to keep a pen with it.

leon: they ARE nice though! I'm almost glad that I prefer to not buy leather so I don't even have to think about moleskine xD I used to buy a good copy though that used synthetic leather.
/jonas

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
I'm partial to Chartwell survey notebooks- lovely, waterproofish rag paper and robust stiching. They've got too pricey for me of late though.

Lately I've been using the 'Hipster PDA': A stack of index cards held together with a bulldog clip. I like this  as I can pull out individual pages. This is good for photography, as I can write the metadata / details about each film as I go, and when I finish the roll pop the card in a bag with the roll so that they stay together. After development I staple the card to the negative sleeves when I file them. That's the theory, anyway. In practice sometimes I don't bother  ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:10:33 AM by DS »

fox

• 35mm
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 07:28:12 PM »
I second the comment for Chartwell Surveyor's notebooks. They are the dog's danglies when it comes to weatherproof books. They do either horizontal or vertical opening. The outer cover may not be plush like Moleskine or Rhodia, but they are built to last, and I'd say price wise are cheaper than those two. Fantastic.
Having said that, they are, I think, a UK brand too.

Failing that, the Rhodia notebooks are really good . I use one for my photography notes, and with a fountain pen, especially nice to write on.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:31 PM »
Lately I've been using the 'Hipster PDA': A stack of index cards held together with a bulldog clip. I like this  as I can pull out individual pages. This is good for photography, as I can write the metadata / details about each film as I go, and when I finish the roll pop the card in a bag with the roll so that they stay together. After development I staple the card to the negative sleeves when I file them. That's the theory, anyway. In practice sometimes I don't bother  ::)
I read up a bit on that just now and I have got to say that it seems like a very good system!
/jonas

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:44 AM »
Lately I've been using the 'Hipster PDA': A stack of index cards held together with a bulldog clip.

I'm with Leon and have a Moleskine problem. I do like the little 3-pack for photo notes as they're cheap and I usually don't fill them very quickly. I have tried the mini 3-pack of Moleskine knockoffs that Barnes & Noble carries that uses recycled paper, and they're OK, but I usually just wait for someone to have them on sale and pick up another batch. Heck, my grocery store started carrying them; I should look for a coupon.

I use PigPogPDA for work:

http://pigpog.com/2007/01/20/pigpogpda-a-moleskine-hacked-into-a-complete-system/

The more stressful work gets, the more I lean on it, and it helps a ton. And the reporter-style has really grown on me.

I also have two Moleskine Japanese albums that are waiting for a project. They weren't easy to find, and I don't want to screw them up, but I haven't found the right project yet.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 10:50:47 AM »
Since I started bookbinding*, the moleskin notebooks feel really awful quality for their price to me. It's funny because they look kind of nice then you pick them up and it's kind of disappointing feeling with cheap shiny paper coverings and everything.

I do like the hipster PDA for some things though.

*this means I now have the xkcd blank books library. All blank books for notebooks, all the time.
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »
I use PigPogPDA for work:

http://pigpog.com/2007/01/20/pigpogpda-a-moleskine-hacked-into-a-complete-system/

The more stressful work gets, the more I lean on it, and it helps a ton. And the reporter-style has really grown on me.

Jack, that's a great system! I think I'll give it a try when I'm back home.

DaveO

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2012, 04:59:14 PM »
    Big Chief notebook!