Author Topic: Man buys 10K undeveloped negatives at auction and finds the work of Vivian Maier  (Read 1283 times)

Peter84

• Peel Apart
Man buys 10K undeveloped negatives at auction and finds the work of Vivian Maier.

http://upshout.com/vivian-maier/

I haven't had that kind of luck when stumble upon undeveloped rolls... Have we ever done a "show us your best 'found' photo's?"

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Hi Peter.

Yes, Vivian Maier's stuff is all over the internet now.  If you're unfamiliar, check out "Finding Vivian Maier" as a film.  It's out on DVD and is a documentary about Vivian Maier and how her archive came to be unearthed.  Fascinating stuff and briliant photography.

Sadly, I haven't ever bought a camera (or had one given to me) which contained undeveloped negs.  With my luck, if I ever did, it's be either blank of no interest to anyone  :o
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Terry

There was a found-photo thread a while ago.  Maybe it's time to revisit that subject. 

Indofunk

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
    • photog & music
Sadly, I haven't ever bought a camera (or had one given to me) which contained undeveloped negs.  With my luck, if I ever did, it's be either blank of no interest to anyone  :o

Me too. Once I found an undeveloped roll of 110 film in my aunt's basement and I was beside myself with excitement until someone who knows slightly more about 110 film than I do saw the exposure count and determined that it was unexposed :(

Francois

• Self-Coat
I often find film in cameras... but sadly it turns out the previous users were anything but good photographers.
I also often find cards in digicams and camera bags. People don't know that "format" just deletes the stuff... and that delete is never permanent unless you overwrite everything. You wouldn't believe how many slightly embarrassing pictures I've found over the years! None of them worth mentioning much but still, it's always fun when you see Convar starting to rip files out and dump them on your disk :)

Every time I see this I do my little dance  ;D
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
On Miss Maier, I am proud to say I am one of the initial contributors to getting her work exposed, and have over the years received the book and the DVD as return on my investment. It was of course apparent from the 20 or so initial scans we viewed, something special had indeed been discovered... Skorj.