Author Topic: Mount / board cutters 45 & 90  (Read 5645 times)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
Mount / board cutters 45 & 90
« on: February 06, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »

I call upont the power of filmwasters ...

Printers and Mounters, what do you use ?

Happy to cough bigger for something that works really well. I have a 2thing" at the momnet and it's very hit and miss so I want the real deal.

johann

• flickr
Re: Mount / board cutters 45 & 90
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »
I just started cutting my own matting boards.
I found in a local hardware and fine-art store some mat/painting boards with a texture on one side and plain on the other. To cut I use a Maped Mat cutter 45° that slides on a metal ruler. I first thought that it would not be precise and that I would switch for something with fixed on a table that would be more professional. But actually it is quite easy to use and the results are really good. They give a little explanation sheet with the specific measurements you have to follow to set the start and finish points of each cut.
I guess you don't have to invest in a fancy cutter, unless you want to be quicker and don't want to have to draw on the back of the board to have your cutting guides.

It really changes everything to have a mat. It looks really good.
I'm an addict now ;)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
I use one of these: http://www.longridge.co.uk/duo_systems.aspx

It certainly was not that expensive when I got it though.  They quality is ok, but it does not scream 200 smackers at you.

I find I get through a lot of blades - they blunt very quickly. It also takes a bit of technique learning ... too much pressure and you get a curved line.

I did have the Maped one that johann mentions, but I found it to be terrible - curvy lines, difficult to use etc.
L.

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:02:51 PM »

Thanks Chaps, those two and Logan seem to be popular choices.

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »
I bought the Logan Intermediate 450 about 5 years ago and it's the dogs dangly bits... never cut a bad mount with it yet. I believe it's just been upgraded to the 450 'Artist Elite' enabling it to give wider borders etc. http://www.logangraphic.com/products/boardmounted/ I think www.lionpic.co.uk sell them.
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:28:37 PM »
I have the X-acto Olfa mat cutter. It's fine but I find it doesn't always cut clean even though it uses special double edged tungsten blades.

What I like about it is that it cuts both directions so adjusting is quite easy.
Bad thing is I got some curvy cuts that were probably due to accidental movement of the ruler.
I also got a few times where I overcut the window... it's hard to adjust the dimensions.
I also would really like to be able to use cheap blades on it...

But, apart from that, I really like the blade depth control on it and it has some pretty good ergonomics.

edit: I only remembered it wasn't an Xacto before going to bed... so I fixed it this morning
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:21:40 PM by Francois »
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Darnley

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:51 AM »
I second the Logan mat cutters. I bought the 750 Simplex mat cutter a few years ago and it has been great.
It was such a revelation after attempting to cut mats for years with a Dexter mat cutter and a straight edge.
Not that there's anything wrong with using a Dexter, I was just too incompetent to do it properly.

Roger Thoms

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 07:09:13 AM »
I second the Logan mat cutters. I bought the 750 Simplex mat cutter a few years ago and it has been great.
It was such a revelation after attempting to cut mats for years with a Dexter mat cutter and a straight edge.
Not that there's anything wrong with using a Dexter, I was just too incompetent to do it properly.

I'm using a 750 Simplex too, and have easily cut 500 mats with it. Best thing I did was besides buying the 750 was to buy a 100 pack of blades. Nothing like having a good sharp blade.

Roger
formerly rtbadman

Matt Davis

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 09:14:21 AM »
Interesting thread this, for me I use a Keencut Ultimat Gold the 48" version, but then again it is my job.

As for the curving cuts that could a multitude of reason's, but blade depth is very important, the blade should just cut the board by about a 1mm, to deep then it will drag and flex.
Using a slip Matt underneath will help keep the blade in place while it's cutting as well.

And as usual not all mountboards are the same some will blunt blades quicker.

stevesegz

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:40 AM »
Another vote for the logan, got mine at focus 3-4 years ago, had to cut 40 mounts for an exhibition last year and this made it very straight forward. Very solid, worth every penny if you want a quality job.
If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.  ~Lewis Hine

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:00:52 PM »
I've been using the same Logan Simplex for over 20 years. I have no idea how many mats I've cut in that time but it has to be well into the thousands. It's a real workhorse and very easy to use. I highly recommend it.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
excellent stuff here.  Matt .... do you have a phone or camera that shoots movie?  Any chance you could do a short 5 or 10 min masterclass on mount cutting for us to add into a future video podcast?

L.

Matt Davis

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:49:04 AM »
Leon, I believe my camera does shoot movies, although never used it for that, but am willing to give it a go, just give me a couple of weeks ( busy workload at the moment ).
My only problem might be in editing it all together, never done it before, so any help in that area would be great.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 02:35:40 PM »
no rush matt (geddit?  rush matting - no?)  :D

Seriously, no rush, get it recorded as and when, then let us know, and we'll sort out the rest :)

L.
L.

Matt Davis

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:29:45 PM »
I get it (groans) :D :D
Thanks.