Author Topic: 5x4 Developing with no darkroom  (Read 2393 times)

AJShepherd

• Sheet Film
5x4 Developing with no darkroom
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:46:12 PM »
I'm still vaguely toying with the idea of getting one of those nice new Harman Titan cameras some time this year, as what I've seen from them looks pretty good.
However, I don't have a darkroom, and while I develop my own 35mm and 120 films, I was wondering about developing the sheets. I've seen this MOD54 device for doing this, but I'd also need to buy a larger tank to go with it, which is increasing the start-up costs!

I've heard it's possible to do a couple of sheets at a time in a normal 2x35m/1x120 sized tank, is that right?

How much of a faff is it to do all that in the confines of a changing bag?

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
Re: 5x4 Developing with no darkroom
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:26:13 PM »
I regularly develope 4x5 film ( maybe 2 at a time in my patterson tank..works perfectly well! and the Harmon Titan pinhole is outrageousely good!

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
I've heard it's possible to do a couple of sheets at a time in a normal 2x35m/1x120 sized tank, is that right?

How much of a faff is it to do all that in the confines of a changing bag?

No faff at all.  I've always done 4x5 (and larger) in a changing bag.  As for the 120 tank it depends on the brand/size/type.  I can't do sheets in my standard Jobo tank so I use either home made tubes or an adapted 8x10 print drum.  Very little chems for each so well worth the effort.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »
As per Sandeha - it's easy, innit. I'm a small dark bag user with 5x4 and its no issue at all.

PS I've moved the thread from the Articles section and onto the main board. 
L.

johann

• flickr
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
I used to use a HP combiplan, but found that it was using way too much chemicals. So I switch to a Paterson Orbital. I can develop, 4 sheets in 150ml. Quite economical. Just had to adapt my times as I was agitating continuously the tank.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
I just use my bathroom (no windows). I don't have any kind of darkroom, just a bunch of chemicals and equipment in my cabinets.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

astrobeck

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
I just use my bathroom too.  I change out the sheets in a changing bag so no faff at all!
I'm the original klutz too, so if I can manage it, you can too.

It's really easy and once you get a system or routine working, it's quite a snap.
Go for it!
We're here cheering you on!!!

Terry

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 01:40:51 AM »
I usually do my 4x5s in a Yankee tank.  It requires about 1600ml of developer but it'll do up to a dozen sheets at a time.  Another option is a Unicolor drum on a uniroller agitator--you can do four sheets in there with about 200ml.

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:17:38 AM »
Hi I use an old Patterson print drum developer water bath and all (the posh motorised one ) -£16 on ebay lol

Works a treat - load the film into the drum in a changing bag - and have stuck some fleece into the drum to allow flow of liquid on both sides of the film and stop scratching if the film moves relative to the drum + a plastic,print spacer that came with the drum to stop them overlapping,  you could also stick plastic pieces into the drum or score the inside.

The fleece was a temporary idea for the first one I did - but worked so well I just kept it and stuck it in there. 

With the small drum - I use about 300ml of chemistry to do 2 4x5s - dev time reduced by 15% all at 20c - works fine - have tried a few develops but am on ID11 at present

I tend not to do big batches of film - often just one at a time as am playing with the zone system at present (and the film costs!)