Author Topic: How do you carry your tripod?  (Read 5828 times)

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
How do you carry your tripod?
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
Prompted by Leon I've started to look for a dedicated bag for my kit. My problem is that I also need a way to carry my tripod, too. However I want a messenger type bag and not a backpack (where I've found many that allow you to attach a tripod). So my question is: How do you carry your tripod? Is it somehow attached to your bag? If so how? I think I've seen ways to attach tripods to the strap of a bag but I can't remember where I've see those. Or do you carry it separately? Maybe it's not an issue at all, and I'm just imagining things sitting at home at these temperatures.

Urban

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: How do you carry your tripod?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
I always carry it - if has its own shoulder strap, but I find it easier to just carry.
L.

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »
I just carry mine too....saving for a carbon fiber one now because cold metal is not my favorite thing to carry around in the Winter.

I had wrapped some foam insulation around the legs at one time, but the stuff just doesn't hold up very long.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »
Prompted by severe and persistent pain resulting from badly damaged knee joints (too much rugby followed by too much golf and now too much weight to carry) I asked my wonderful missus for some money towards a new, lightweight tripod when she asked me what I wanted for my 50th birthday last March.

She then asked me what the specification needed to be. After a bit of thinking, a detailed search and trialling a few contenders, I said I'd like a lightweight 4 section carbon fibre travelling 'pod with a ball head capable of holding up to 8kg (more than enough to hold the heaviest body and lens combo I own) but that didn't weigh more than 1.5Kg itself.

The Gitzo Traveller was way too expensive. The Giottos Vitruvian series didn't seem all that well made and not particularly sturdy and the Manfrotto was okay-ish but heavier than I wanted and a bit pricey to-boot. Then I spotted an advert for a "Three Legged Thing X-1 Brian" in Amateur Photographer.

At first, I thought it was a wind up (April Fools Day wasn't far off) but I checked the spec out on the web and spoke to the manufacturer - an English company based just down the road in Stagsden, Bedfordshire. Here's a link:

http://www.3leggedthing.com/travel/brian.html

I was smitten and I haven't looked back. The really good news is that this 'pod can be carried under a messenger bag using Lowepro straps (if your bag has loops to attach them to), in the superb bag that comes with the 'pod or just in your hand - it is that small and light. The centre column and one leg also detach to become a monopod if you need one. Highly recommended.

"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
On my shoulder as a rule. I'm not that organised.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 11:21:06 PM »
I personally use a velcro strap to hold the legs together so it doesn't open. I also put one of those specially made rubber grips on one of the legs so I don't freeze my fingers.

I hand carry it. When I get tired of that, I just put it over my shoulder. I must say my heavy parka makes some good padding!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Terry

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 03:38:59 AM »
Over the shoulder--makes it handier when I need to crack someone over the head with it.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »
LD: thanks for the tip! I've got this constant nag in the back of my head that I need a tripod :D

3LT X1a ADRIAN might be the one for me.. could one use it without a ball head? does the screw fit right into the camera? I'm such a tripod n00b, haha ;D
/jonas

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:55 AM »
All right, so I guess I'll just carry it like that for now. Or maybe just put it on the stroller when I'm out with the family ;)

Matt Davis

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
I've got a shoulder bag for mine, but it's such a pain to use that I now just carry it.

Nick Moys

• Peel Apart
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
LD: thanks for the tip! I've got this constant nag in the back of my head that I need a tripod :D

3LT X1a ADRIAN might be the one for me.. could one use it without a ball head? does the screw fit right into the camera? I'm such a tripod n00b, haha ;D

jojonas, the screw in the top of the 3 legged thing tripods is double ended (3/8"/1/4" - approx.6mm/18mm), so I guess you could fix a camera directly, but I think composing/levelling the shot would be a killer without the adjustability that a tripod head gives.  I have a 'first generation' 3LT X2 Kirk with the B3 ball head, and would second LD's recommendation for 3LT tripods.  They seem to be very solid and well built.  I can comfortably carry the tripod strapped onto to my Lowepro backpack, but I often choose to travel a bit lighter by converting to the monopod.

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 09:22:17 AM »
Tried the bag that came with mine - fine for very short distances but then gets a real pain to be carrying two bags, so now attach it to my bag with some bungee cord with a carabiner on the end to attach it.

Works ok ..... still squiggles around and needs repositioning sometimes so not ideal. 

reuben

• 35mm
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
@jojonas

In 3LT reduced section there are some ball heads for £29 at present - using it without would be a nightmare ,and you will rapidly get fed up with it and stop taking it with you - the standard happening when someone buys a too heavy /awkward tripod for what they want.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:28:05 AM by reuben »

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 09:34:18 AM »
I just lug it around as is

I had wrapped some foam insulation around the legs at one time, but the stuff just doesn't hold up very long.

Becky - someone I know uses the standard foam insulation but binds it with bicycle handlebar tape... because it's waterproof it seems to stay put.
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
nick, reuben: thanks for your input. I guess if I plan to shell out for a real tripod I might as well plan for a head to use with it too.
/jonas

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
In one hand for ten minutes, then in the other for ten minutes. Repeat for about two hours.  Take one photograph (if I'm really lucky).  Then repeat same on way home.

To a great extent, this is why I now shoot in urban landscape rather than rural landscape.  Small bag - lighweight kit and NO BL$$DY TRIPOD

astrobeck

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 06:29:17 AM »
I just lug it around as is

Becky - someone I know uses the standard foam insulation but binds it with bicycle handlebar tape... because it's waterproof it seems to stay put.

The handlebar tape is a great idea!  I will give it another go!
Thanks!    :)

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:37 AM »
My really old wooden tripod has a retrofitted 1970s suitcase handle on it. It's pretty good.
My heavier tripod is metal but it has squishy foam around the top of two of the legs which makes it fairly easy to carry by a leg. Both are a bit heavy, though...
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/