Author Topic: Developing issues  (Read 1187 times)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Developing issues
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:23:02 AM »
Okay, what the hell is this all about? D-76 has always been sometimes problematic for air bells, but not sure what's going on here. Two rolls together, on all the shots (one roll of acros, on of fp4). I'm using a rapid fixer...could it be expired fixer? Will it go away if I refix? I've developed hundreds of rolls of film, my technique is pretty much always exactly the same.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Developing issues
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »
It's a pain in the arse when developing issues start creeping in isn't it - and they are notoriously difficult to resolve ...

My thought is - froth!

If it were underfixed, it would have more density, so would be lighter in the positive, so it has definitely under developed on that top edge, leaving it darker. The mottled pattern is from bubbles and froth. I've had similar problems before now:

three things to think about -

• are you using enough developer? You say no problems before now, so this is unlikely to be the cause (unless you made a mistake this time).
  • Is there some way the reel could have risen up in the tank placing the top edge in the frothy head of the developer?
  • Do you use photoflo or other wetting agent in the tank at any part of the process? Residual wetting agent would make things much more soapy and foamy in there.

hope that helps. 
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:58 AM »
Agree with everything Leon says. I've been having same problems for a while. I stopped using the wetting agent I had been using and put the tanks and reels through the dishwasher to clean them. I also started using a bit extra developer to ensure the reels were covered and changed my agitation technique from 4 quick inversions to one slow one. Problem now gone. But like you, I'd been developing for years without a problem then it started. I think my main issue was the wetting agent build up in the tank but even after cleaning them, I still got some problems until I changed my agitation.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
I had a very similar effect on some of my negs and it turned out to be not quite enough developer. I had an old Paterson tank that was leaking - slightly more than I thought.

As it happens I quite like the effect in this particular shot.

the stand | knole park by nigelrumsey, on Flickr
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

Volker

• Peel Apart
    • www.dynamo.de
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:06:47 AM »

I had the same effect (i used not enough developer :-/ )
Normally i use Rodinal 1+50 and 3 inversions/minute

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
There's definitely a pattern developing (intended) here!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 04:51:06 PM »
thanks for the input. i usually use 21oz of developer, so it may very well be the photoflo residue causing things to foam up, or the spool managed to work it's way up the holder thing. will have to rinse out my tank really well! i'm able to photoshop most of it out if there is just sky, but it's still a pain and i'd rather just have properly developed negs.

d76 is very prone to air bells that i don't get with other developers. usually show up as darkish circles in the sky.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »
I did notice that some chemicals foam-up by themselves. It's always the case with Ilford Rapid-Fix.
I also always put in a bit more developer than what is required. As for stop and fix, since I re-use the stuff until it dies, I usually fill the tank to a point where I'm sure the film is fully covered.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.