Author Topic: Camera Insurance.  (Read 2150 times)

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
Camera Insurance.
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
After this latest lens disaster I'm thinking I should look into insuring the cameras that are worth more than I can easily afford to replace.

Does anyone here insure theirs and if so how?
listing on the house contents or something else?

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Re: Camera Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:38:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I have insurance on the contents that covers and single item up to £1500 I think. Lens, body, etc. It didn't cost that much extra although to be sure I would have to ask my financial advisor AKA Jan ;D

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »
I do, it's on my homeowners policy.

Personal belongings are usually covered on a typical homeowners policy in America.  Even if your stuff is stolen out of your car, or while you are traveling.
Not sure about the UK though. Call your agent and ask and they will give you the scoop.

Always good to have photos and serial numbers of your gear too.  Keep them in a safe deposit box though in case the house burns.    :)

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:19:33 AM »

Always good to have photos and serial numbers of your gear too.  Keep them in a safe deposit box though in case the house burns.    :)

Or in your emails, in case the town burns.   :o  :D

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
Please feel free to take or leave the following "advice". It's given as a general guide and without knowing what individual circumstances, values, etc. are or even the countries in which you live. It's based on UK insurance practice. I've worked in the insurance profession for all my working life, which is 32 years and I'm a HO Underwriting Manager for an insurer in the City of London.

1. If you shoot professionally (full-time or part-time) it's probably best to insure your gear separately from your home contents / personal possessions. The policy that covers your home buildings and contents (etc) will not, normally, cover equipment used for your business or any liabilities (claims for negligence, injury or damage) made against you for any work you've done. There are lots of adverts in photo mags or just "Google" camera insurance.

2. You will normally be required to insure your equipment for the replacement value "as new". That's not a problem for digital kit but it can be for us filmies. For those items you have where there isn't a "new for old" option, you will need to tell your insurer and get them to agree to an "agreed value" (indemnity) settlement basis of cover. You will then need to set the sum insured on items that can't be replaced as new at a level that is equivalent to what it would cost to buy the same model / same age and same condition.

3. Take photos of all your kit - detailing serial numbers and any distinguishing features. Once you've done this, put a copy in a zipped folder and send it in an email to yourself - just in case you ever need to prove the existence of items and your home / records of your kit have been destroyed. It will be up to you to prove you owned the item in the event of a loss.

4. You will be required to insure ALL of your kit not just the expensive bits / bits you can't do without. Insurers do not appreciate being selected against.

5. Be careful to make sure you know which bits to specify and which will form part of a "general" figure. Often, insurers will require items with an individual value of £1,000 or more to be specifically mentioned on the schedule. The rest will be covered on the basis of "any one item not exceeding.......". But the premium will be based on the total value at risk.

6. Unless you arrange specific cover, you will NOT be covered for "mechanical or electrical breakdown". This cover is only available in the engineering / extended warranty market and often only on new items. Think in terms of the cover you are offered when you buy a new washing machine, TV, etc.  Cover you WILL be offered is usually for physical loss and/or damage to the equipment you own.

7. Professionals will pay more than amateurs. More extensive use and higher value kit.

8. Don't ever lie to your insurer. I REGULARLY authorise refusal of claims where my company has been able to prove that a claim isn't completely genuine - i.e. over-inflated values, claiming for items that didn't exist, claims where no damage had occurred or where damage was deliberate. I don't like doing it but neither do I like putting premiums / rates up for those policyholders who play fair as a result of the actions of fraudsters. It's not a victimless crime.

9. There will ALWAYS be exclusions - even though the policies might be called "All Risks". This is to avoid inevitable claims - leaving your gear on a beach when the tide is coming in (reasonable precautions to avopid a loss) or lack of care such as leavng kit in an unattended vehicle. Some insurers will provide this cover subject to an increased excess and/or where the items are in a locked boot (trunk) and the vehicle is locked at all points of entry and the alarm / immobiliser is set.

10. If you use your kit abroad / take it on holiday with you make sure that (a) the policy provides cover for the places you visit and for the duration of your visit(s) and (b) that there isn't a limit to the total value of kit that your policy covers at any one time whilst you are out and about. Watch for restrictions about leaving kit in hotel rooms - a common place for stuff to go missing. If there's no mention, check that cover would apply. If it's not clear, put your kit into the hotel safe when not in use.

11. You get what you pay for. Don't buy sub-standard cover - make sure the cover you have is what you need. It's YOUR responsibility to make sure it's right not the broker's and not the insurer's. Don't leave it until you have a loss to read your policy / schedule, exclusions and conditions. At that point it's too late and you may not get your claim paid.

Sorry that was a bit of an epic but that's just some of the more obvious things to think about. At the end of the day, we always tell people to act as if they don't have insurance cover - even if they do.Insurance is only there to cover things that are outside your control.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Sandeha Lynch

• Self-Coat
    • Visual Records
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
Epic brilliant, LD.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Worth saying, Paul and very well said.

astrobeck

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Yes, very solid info!
Thanks Paul! 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »
No, I don't have any of it insured. I take the risk.

I did drop my G10 a while back and called the insurance to see if it was covered but they said Nah! because I didnt take out the 'accidental damage' option - which, over the years, would have cost a lot more than the value of the camera I'm sure. So I just accept the risk.

I think the main point is that insurance won't cover breakdowns like you've had (unless you have accidental cover and pretend you dropped it - you didn't read that did you Paul...  ;D )
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:00:44 PM by Peter R »
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 03:58:13 PM »
Read what, Peter.............??

I used to have a colleague / friend who went to work for the claims department of a very large insurer who underwrote a massive amount of travel policies via major airlines / tour operators. The volume, value and diversity of claims they received and dealt with was immense. There were genuine cases involving injury and death whilst abroad which involved paying gargantuan medical expenses bills for injury and illness and repatriation costs for the deceased. Almost all genuine, all investigated and some seriously tragic.

Then there were the damage, theft and loss claims. These claims, though of relatively modest value individually, made up the lion's share of claim volume and overall cost. We are talking about many £millions. These claims could be very difficult to investigate for insurers and, in the days before insurers worked out a lot of the fraudulent tricks and either limited / excluded cover or made requirements to provide proof of ownership, report losses and thefts to the local police, people were claiming for all sorts of things.

My friend and I made a tongue-in-cheek pact that when we could afford it, we would take a few months off work during the low season and go to the Greek Islands with metal detectors. Why? we figured that the beaches and coastal fringes must be almost knee deep in lost gold jewellery, precious stones, watches, cameras and other valuables that had been claimed for and for which we could claim salvage..... ;) ;D :o

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
Wow, Paul that's some advice, I need to read that again.

The majority of my gear is fairly cheap to replace so I think, like Peter, at the moment I'm happy to take the risk. But if I got something a little more expensive it's worth at least getting detailed on your contents insurance.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
"Wow, Paul that's some advice, I need to read that again."

Me too!
Thanks for such a detailed answer, Paul, lots to digest there.

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
Paul - Fantasticaly generous of you to take the time and trouble to post your 'insiders' advice. 

I took out insurance with Photoguard almost three years ago after a nearly nasty incident in a backlands area of Manchester where I was confronted by a couple of agressive looking young hoodie types asking about my camera equipment and who didn't seem interested in the sunny 16 rule or the delights of good bokeh.  I played things down by showing them my 'old and worthless' film cameras but it was a real shock to the system, especially as I was carryying about £4k's worth of stuff in my bag at the time (Xpan and 30mm lens, Mamiya 6 with w/a lens and a GR21) and felt really lucky to get away unscathed.  My premiums aint cheap - about £16 a month but it does give some peace of mind, although the requirements for safe areas of storage in cars and at home are a bit stringent.  Never claimed yet but its reassuring when you are out shooting in some urban ghetto

G

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 06:43:09 PM »
No worries.

It's like all things, I suppose. If you've been doing it 9-5 Monday to Friday for the past 32 years, there should be an above average chance that you know a bit about a subject. I could talk a glass eye to sleep about the technicalities given half a chance but I won't.

The crux of the matter is that we all need to think about the cost of replacement, the purpose to which we put the gear, how we protect it and making sure that we don't breach policy terms and conditions.

Graham, as someone from Manchester (well, Stockport - and that's near enough to make little difference) I'm shamed by the actions of those "hoodies". Manchester is, for the most part, a friendly and decent place but there are areas not to stray into. If the worst happened, dump your gear and leg it. No point trying to be a hero as you have no ideas how tooled-up the opposition might be....