Author Topic: It's all going on at olympus hq!  (Read 1117 times)

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
It's all going on at olympus hq!
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Re: It's all going on at olympus hq!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:28:06 AM »
It would be a truly awful if such a respected and innovative camera manufacturer paid the ultimate price and even more people lost their jobs as a result of dodgy management. Sadly, I suspect that this type of thing is a lot more prevalent in many businesses across the globe.

Here's hoping they can find a way to put things straight, draw a line under this and move on.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »
It would be a truly awful if such a respected and innovative camera manufacturer paid the ultimate price and even more people lost their jobs as a result of dodgy management. Sadly, I suspect that this type of thing is a lot more prevalent in many businesses across the globe.

Polaroid comes to mind ... :(
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 03:01:43 PM »
While reading this, I too thought about Polaroid...

Hopefully, it won't be just one of those "another one bites the dust" type of things...
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
i love olympus and their OM series and (sorry guys!) their EP line of m4/3 cameras. i would hate to see them go.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:05:28 AM »
i love olympus and their OM series and (sorry guys!) their EP line of m4/3 cameras. i would hate to see them go.
hear hear!

I don't think they'll go back fast. thery're really trying to get rid of the "infected" parts and even if they can't make it on their own, many companies have shown interest in buying up the camera section (yes, I do check http://www.43rumors.com/ from time to time ;) )
/jonas

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 11:20:18 AM »
I've been following this story for a while. What a sorry mess. I am sure the cameras will continue, the current company structure won't though.
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
Just as long as it doesn't get gobbled-up by Sony, I'll be happy.
Thing is I've had so many expensive Sony products just crap out without showing any signs of the incoming failure it's driving me bunkers! And they're also so expensive to get repaired you might as well just throw them out. And that's not counting all their proprietary technology, rootkits, anti-mod lawsuits and stuff that just makes life hard for nothing.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.