Author Topic: Silica Gel - a filmwasters best friends  (Read 1642 times)

LeonY

• Lasers - Pew Pew
    • My Blog
Silica Gel - a filmwasters best friends
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:29:55 AM »
I want to share a story with everyone abou the wonders of sillica gel, those little saches you get in clothes, computer equipment and most packaged goods....

A while ago i purchased 3 tins of Expired Kodak Tri-X 400 film. They were $20aud and the seller sold them as is, becsue he claimed 'they were in my freezer for years and the boxes were rusted'...

A few days ago i decided to test one canister out and see if the film was ok! I defrosted it over night at room temperature and the next day proceeded to open the black tape surrounding the tin. I immediately found heaps of liquid within the seal, and when i opened the tin the black back was soaking in black smelly liquid. I though 'dang the film is gona be soaked and useless...' SO i puled out the roll but to my surprise it was dry! it was tacky to the touch though and i found that winding it onto a canister was impossible as the film seemed to be stuck to itself! Then i pulled out my box of Silica gel(collected over the years from different things). I opened the bulk loader and put it inside a dark bag and filled the bag with about 2 cups of Silica Gel drops. 24 hours later i sealed up the loader and tried again! MAGIC! the film was no longer tacky and rolled out normaly!

developed 2 rolls, perfect! Hope this helps anyone who has flooded their film stock or is silly like me and buys rusty film tins from ebay :)

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
Re: Silica Gel - a filmwasters best friends
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:48:21 AM »
aah~ I like a story with a happy ending :´)

good news though! I've just recently started hording those gels. first for the 'roids and I was thinking for the boxes of cameras as well.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
Fun thing is you can "recharge" the silica gel by putting it in a very low temperature oven for a few hours !
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Fun thing is you can "recharge" the silica gel by putting it in a very low temperature oven for a few hours !

or leaving it on a radiator overnight.
L.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
Be careful to check the bag / container as, if it ruptures and the (powder / granular version) contents spill into your camera bag (as has happened to me twice in 35 years - so not a major risk) it is a bugger to clean out and remove from all the nooks and crannies of your camera / lenses.
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:34:12 PM »
Or just take a ton of packets and put them in a cloth bag before dumping it in the camera bag...
Francois

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 12:16:38 AM »
Ahhh Francois, hindsight is always in 20:20 vision....!!  ;)
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

f6point3

• Staying Inside My Box (Camera)
    • f/6.3 Studio Website
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 01:25:43 PM »
That is a terrific story, and it's something I'd not thought of before, using it for film.  I have one in my camera bag, and have a few saved up in a gadget drawer from various sources.
Pete - Corpus Christi, TX
Every professional should remain always in his heart an amateur. - Alfred Eisenstaedt (1898-1995)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
Also, if you don't have silica gel and need to desiccate something, I've found that a small beaker with a bit of sodium hydroxide in it, when put in a large zip bag with the item you want to dry will work
How to make a Desiccator Bag for Drying Chemicals
Francois