Author Topic: NUDE WORK  (Read 5586 times)

damiand

NUDE WORK
« on: November 23, 2011, 03:25:32 AM »
I always would like to make nude portraits and last time I had this opportunity. My friend come to my studio and we shoot some collodion and fim. From 12 pictures which I shoot with my rollei I like this one a lot , not bad at all as first time I had a shoot which I want to have.

picture on collodion: no ether formula , black acrylic , this is first picture of four which i shoot. I really like effect on her face I tilted lens.

pictures on film : rolleicord Va , shanghai 100 in hc-110 15 min ( 1:63 ) 20 C

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: NUDE WORK
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:40 AM »
I think they actually a look a bit stiff/uncomfortable.  Perhaps because of the exposure time?

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
I'm not sure what you are trying to convey.  It looks uncomfortable.  For me I am not sure what is gained by the nudity.  The second plate is very clean and well exposed - good  technique.

Mike (happyforest)

• Sheet Film
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 04:22:54 PM »
damiand

I take it the first image is collodion and the second film.

The first image is strange, I assume that it is the same model but her facial expression is xxxx (struggling to find appropriate words to express what I mean), probably because of the long exposure.

When scrolling through these on my laptop I first saw the top two thirds of the second image and at this crop, liked it.

In my experience, formal portraits can be difficult at the best of times and I think the second one has potential.

Thank you for sharing these.

Mike

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
I really love that second one, it's beautiful, still and unsettling at the same time. Quite intoxicating.

The first one would be massively better without the starfish...they detract from the image and weaken it and her as a person...i'm curious why you added them...?

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:11:04 AM »
The second portrait is great but I think the first one is pretty amazing!

All I see is someone very confident... and boy ! you've got to have some to stay there stand still with an endless exposure time and no clothes !  Very well done.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:29:23 AM »
I prefer the first - I like the tension in her posture.  I agree with Vicky about the starfish though - they do seem a bit incongruous.
L.

damiand

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
For first I would like to thank You for comment and constructive critique :).

Flippy : Exposure time on first one was about 4 sec and I tilted lens its the reason why model face is quite flat. I also made more exposures without tilting but i like this one best. I think its just fit my idea of this picture. Second picture was on film so quite fast, and i dont think that she look uncomfortable. Actually she was quite relax dooring shoots.

CarlRadford: Thank You second picture is on film.

happyforest : Thank You and yes face expression may be because long exposure time. And I am still working how to do it good :).

vicky slater : I am very glad that You like second one ( I am big fan of your portrait work ). Why I choose to use starfish . I had idea of using those in my head long time. I didn't thought that may weaken her as person. My idea was to take a mermaid shoot. I didn't want her to be her self on this picture, its the reason why I peak this one with flat face ( tilted lens ).

sapata : Thank You I am glad that You like those.

leon taylor: As I wrote for Vicky my idea was to make mermaid picture :). Thank You for comment.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 02:37:47 PM »
I like the first one a lot, I can see the fruition of the mermaid idea but I think it needs a little bit more to bring it to life, maybe a full length portrait and a tail!

Have you seen the work of Joni Sternbach? http://www.pdnphotooftheday.com/2011/06/9916

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 02:51:42 PM »
I've just figured out what's the big difference between both images... and it's not the process(though it is different) nor the starfish!

It has to do with the gestual part of the image... in particular the eyes.
First one looks directly at the lens (thus the viewer), something which implicates him directly while the other one doesn't.

I read years ago that in posing a subject, having her look directly at the camera makes her more enticing (aguichante in French)... but in this image, the expression on her face doesn't reflect that. Lips are closed, teeth unseen... which would have brought a certain flirtatiousness to the image. And the starfish hide just enough to make the viewer want to imagine what's hiding under...

The contradiction between the separate parts brings a certain tension that is missing from the second one. This makes it a lot more interesting and intriguing... though I must admit, she is a pretty girl :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

damiand

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »
Suzi Livingstone : :) Yes i sow this image beautiful mermaid.

Francois: I think You have point and I am agree I think this one bellow fit Your explanation ( shanghai 100 hc-110)

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 03:55:32 PM »
bingo!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:23 PM »
I love the first one.  The direct look at the viewer, the starfish -- which I think work with the collodion pour effects along the bottom edge and the softness of the long exposure to convey viewing through water (on a subconscious level, where it should be).  To me, really successful.  Quite wonderful.