Author Topic: Oh Dear  (Read 1802 times)

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
Oh Dear
« on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Re: Oh Dear
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:11 PM »
I haven't used PlusX in years, but it's still sad. That component issue seems to have been a factor in the demise of numerous films.

At the Kodak booth at PhotoExpo this weekend, on Saturday, there was no one standing in line for the free film samples. I struck up a conversation with the rep behind the counter and he ended up giving me a sample of everything.

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:32:37 PM »
I love plus-X, but the local shop charges $7 and change, a roll.  At that price it's no wonder demand is declining.

I hear Neopan SS may be on death's door too, which bothers me more because it is cheap and good.  It's already been impossible to find anywhere except online for years now (and now it's difficult to find online too).

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »
it is very sad. FP 4+ it is then :)
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:42 PM »
No wonder sales are in decline: my camera store hasn't carried it for what feels like forever!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 01:23:47 AM »
sad indeed! 

gothamtomato - my sister and I were probably the other 2 filmies hanging out at the Kodak booth.  He gave us a roll of each as well.  Fuji's reps, on the other hand, were a bunch of sourpusses.

Steven.

• Peel Apart
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:40:26 PM »
sad to see more film being discontinued.. i've personally never used the stuff but now the chances of me doing so are gonna lower.

Dave Dunne

• I post here to see what posting here looks like
    • Connect
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 06:04:23 PM »
"...due to steadily declining demand in recent years."

I have never used this film so I am part of the problem.

But I do use Tri-X so as long as they keep making that, I'll be happy.

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »
I used to shoot plus-x on a bolex until they discontinued it for 16mm.  I'm actually surprised it lasted this long in 135!

Karl

• Sheet Film
    • Photographic Works
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
it is very sad. FP 4+ it is then :)
Liking the smile for FP4+
"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." Louis Hector Berlioz

http://www.adayindecember.wordpress.com

DS

• Peel Apart
  • I don't look like my avatar
    • Waffle blag
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
Yeah- have to admit I didn't use it much but bought some in 120 last year as it was v cheap. Results were OK. It is the principle of the thing- emulsions keep disappearing.

I find this disheartening because I've been trying all the B&W films I can get my grubby wee hands on to work out what my favourites are, and all the way through this process films vanish (like neopan. neopan was my favourite).

I agree- the conclusion to this is just to shoot FP4 and HP5, as I like 'em they're hopefully not going anywhere soon.

PS- Dunno if anyone heard the little bit on the radio about Kodak in yesterday's Today program? The business analyst guy was saying that Kodak was failing because it had historically failed to focus on digital imaging (sounds wrong to me), but it has a very attractive patent potfolio that someone will snap up. What does that mean for the nice yellow boxes? Hearing that I feared for them.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
He's right. The problem with Kodak is they never took digital seriously. In the early days (late 90's), they were producing some pretty sophisticated camera backs for their time. They were incredibly expensive but had fairly low resolution. But when good sensors started to become available, they stopped production to concentrate on consumer cameras. Problem is their cameras are not so hot. They don't market them well, have few innovations to show for. Apart from film and medical devices, Kodak doesn't produce anything for the professional and fanatic amateur. At the same time people were going digital, they were spending millions promoting the APS format and loading the market with them... It was a bunch of good ideas and a really bad format at the wrong time.

My guess is Kodak will be split by division (medical, film, digital...) and have the debt split across all divisions. If they don't do so, I better hang on to all the Big Yellow gizmos I have... they'll be worth some coin in the not so distant future.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
I still feel like companies don't realize how viable the film market really is.  The days of plenty may be over, but business models like Impossible Projects' prove that if you build it, they will buy.  The Titan Pinhole sold out its 1000 unit production run in a week!  Small scale production, quality products, marketing to advanced amateurs and professionals (the only film users left) is the path to making money on a "dead" technology.

Twenty years from now, I'd (hope to) expect many emulsions more scarcely available, made by companies that don't even exist yet.  Maaaaaybe a new color process not so temperature dependent?

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 06:47:27 AM »
Plus-x was the required film in school. Still like it, just shot a roll of 120 recently. Soon it will just be 100 or 400 film, two choices from each company.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 09:35:57 AM »
You don't think Ilford or Efke will keep up sub 100ASA emulsions?  It's too bad the fastest films are extinct already.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 10:22:03 AM »
You don't think Ilford or Efke will keep up sub 100ASA emulsions?  It's too bad the fastest films are extinct already.

I think there is quite a fan base for Pan F? From what Steven Brierley had to say when I interviewed him, Ilford have no plans to cancel any products.
L.

Jack Johnson

• Sheet Film
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 06:32:35 PM »
I think there is quite a fan base for Pan F?

I think because in the right light it's downright beautiful, and for crazies like us some of our cameras still think Pan F is high-speed film.

Jeff Warden

• Sheet Film
    • flickr
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2011, 07:39:05 PM »
Darn it, that's a shame.  I just took a roll from the freezer for the occasion. 

Flippy

• Sheet Film
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2011, 10:27:27 PM »
Sorry I was replying to moominsean's post.  :) 

Does anybody still make any slow slide films, or are those all gone now too?

Benjamin J

• 35mm
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2011, 12:30:32 AM »
velvia 50, i can never find provia anymore