Author Topic: a homebrew developer question  (Read 2028 times)

Francois

• Self-Coat
a homebrew developer question
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:33:40 PM »
This is a question I've been pondering for quite a while.

When you prepare homebrew developers and fixers, do you use:
  • A precision lab scale
  • A standard kitchen scale/postal scale
  • The time honored spoons and cups method
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

CarlRadford

• Sheet Film
    • Carls Gallery
Re: a homebrew developer question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 03:52:54 PM »
I use scales - i have a set of pretty accurate kitchen ones specifically for the task. However where accuracy is called for then you need precision scales like the following: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLACK-Pocket-Digital-Scale-Mini-Weighing-Scales-150g_W0QQitemZ170080204543QQihZ007QQcategoryZ133QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or use larger ammounts and make them into solutions and use the solution. For the money it is not worth messing around. Whilst film can be wasted - the results shouldn't be :)

david b

• Peel Apart
    • Stray Light Foto
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:10:02 PM »
I have a similar small digital scale that was pretty cheap and works great. Made by Toyo - apparently the brand most favoured by drug dealers!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:51 PM »
I use some scales very similar to those that Carl posted.  work fine.  I think it's important that they measure down to .1 of a gram.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
I was asking the question because near my home, an electronics store is closing (they used to be a Radio Shack) and they are selling everything at a minimum of 50% off... And they still have a scale on sale.

The only problem that kept nagging me is that it's precise only to the nearest gram... I guess it won't do the job unless I plan on mixing split D-76 in 3kg batches (or enough to last a lifetime).
Scrapping film isn't fun (just like I did once before I figured out that Kodak products should be mixed according to the U.S. instructions, not the French all metric translation ::) ) .

Too bad as it's going for dirt cheap since they're stuck with it (cheap is in my price range :) )...

Oh, well... I'll keep waiting for a good deal. Thanks.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.