Author Topic: Clip Test mentioned by Francois... Anyone try it?  (Read 1006 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
Clip Test mentioned by Francois... Anyone try it?
« on: August 28, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I can't remember when I mixed up my fixer for the some odd reason.  So I thought I'd try out the clip test to make sure it's still good.  I've never tried it before (mentioned here: http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3540.msg36532#msg36532) and I'm beginning to wonder what I'm supposed to see?

I took an unexposed roll of film, pulled out some of the leader, cut and added a drop of my fixer. 
Waited 1 minute
Then put the entire leader into a jar of fixer enough to submerge the film clip
In no time I couldn't see where I'd put the one drop.  No problem, I'm still expecting some reaction to occur first on that eyedropper spot... but what exactly?
After 20 mins nothing changes to my eyes... does it become transparent? There's no change whatsoever... ;-p

mickld

Re: Clip Test mentioned by Francois... Anyone try it?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:10:34 AM »
I tried my first fixer test yesterday as well and went through the same phase of not quite knowing what to expect. I used some scraps from APX 100 for the tests. My problem was not understanding exactly what clearing means. In the end it means exactly that - the removal of the grey emulsion leaving a clear, see-through strip of plastic.

The problem was that APX base has quite a dark purple tint to it, compared to HP5, which I'm used to using. HP5 is pretty much clear & uncoloured. So when I dropped the APX clip into the fixer, it cleared very quickly. But because of the dark tint to the plastic it looked like it changed from grey to black which was the opposite to what I expected! It really confused me for a while, and I repeated it with fresh, undiluted fixer and was beginning to think the whole bottle had gone off overnight.

Eventually when I held the clips up to the light I realise that the emulsion had indeed cleared away and all I had left was the transparent plastic. I felt like a real fool.

So anyway, try repeating what you did. Put a drop on a clip of film (make sure it's on the grey emulsion side) and after a minute try giving the clip a quick rinse in water to wash the fixer off. Hold it up to the light and you should see a transparent circle surrounded by the grey of the emulsion. When you drop it into the fixer, once you can no longer see the circle, all the emulsion has cleared. Double this time is the recommended fixing time.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 03:42:36 AM »
Thank you for your terrific details for a newbie like me, Mick!  I get it now!  Unfortunately, I dumped my fixer (I so hope it was old and not new!) and mixed a new batch.  I'm going to try this out tomorrow. 

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:38:12 AM »
I do a slightly simpler version.

Dip the end of the leader into the fixer. Wait 30 seconds then push the whole leader into the fixer. You'll initially see a line between the the tip which has been in the fixer 30 seconds longer and the rest of the leader. Once the line disappears, the film's clear.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
writing this down in my handy darkroom book! I'm glad I always carry it with me :)

mickld: just to be clear, so the time doubled is the time when the whole leader has been in the fixer, to when it clears?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:19:28 AM by jojonas »
/jonas

mickld

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:33:52 PM »
Doubling the time it takes for the circle to disappear is the recommendation I've read in a number of places. I guess it provides a margin of error.

Please don't confuse me with being some kind of expert on the matter though!

mickld

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:47 PM »
@jojobas Sorry, I just re-read your question. Basically, yes. The time you want to measure is From when you drop the whole film clip into the fixer until the time you see it clear. Making a circle or line on the clip before dropping it in the fixer just gives you a visual aid to see when the clearing process has completed. And this time you measure is then doubled.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
haha, ok thanks :) I've got it in my book now.
/jonas

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 03:29:23 PM »
I couldn't have said it better.
By doing tests like that from time to time, you'll be surprised at how long fixer really lasts!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.