Author Topic: Scanning of 127-film?  (Read 9321 times)

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
Scanning of 127-film?
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:50:10 PM »
Hi, think it is time i introduce myself before I pop my first question.

My name is Britt, and I live in Sweden. Started using film a couple of years ago, when I got my first Lomocamera, followed by a few Holgas. After that is has become more and more film, and less digital, even if I still do a lot of digital photos as well.

Favorit cameras are my beloved Holgas and my precious Rolleflex 2,8F

I have a Derlux and a Baby Rollieflex that uses 127-film, and I just can't get a grip of the scanning of the negativs of this film.

How do you manage this? I use an Epson V700 scanner, but there are no filmholders for 127 film.

Anybody got a good idea that you would like to share?

And.... I am VERY happy to have found this forum, thank you Diane and Suzi for showing me the way :)))

Regards
/Britt

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Scanning of 127-film?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
Hi Britt - I made my own holders for 127 film. I simply took 2 pieces of mountboard/ thick cardboard and cut windows just smaller than the size of the film & just bigger than the size of 1 frame. I sandwiched the film between the two pieces of board. It works so well that I made them for all film formats. I find they work better than the proper holders and you get nice ragged filed out edges like with modified enlarger neg holders. 
L.

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:14:09 PM »
Leon, that is a really good idea, why didn't I think of that? :o

Thank you, I will absolutely give that a try.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
Couldn't you just use the 120 negative carrier?  I use the 120 negative carrier for 35mm since the 35mm holder with the Epson is such a piece of crap -- I have the V500.  Just line it up tight against one edge of the carrier.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
    • Diane Peterson Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Britt, I was going to say the same thing as Leon, but Hookstrapped is correct..either way would work quite well! and now I have to ask when are you going to show us the 127 film????

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:07 PM »
Like always, I'm the one to go the "sophisticated route" (which I also call over-engineering the heck out of pointless things) and use a custom built glass scanning back when I want to scan the film edges.
I even made a Contraption post out of it (they're always pictures of incredibly weird gizmos I make on a regular basis). Check it out here for a few pictures that tell the whole story :)
http://www.filmwasters.com/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0

I'm also glad we finally get a chance to get to know you :)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:05 AM »
Good advices from all of you, thank you. And Francois your solution is great, I sent it over to my engenering husband as he is overengerneering everything as well. A great benefit for me  ;D

Diane, will show some 127 pics as soon as the scanning works out, and as soon as I have any pic worth showing. This first "a walk round the house to try a new camera"-roll did not come up with anything even close to worth showing.

You are all very kind, thank you.
/Britt

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Hi again. I did a Francois solution, and it works wonderful. Many thanks. Easy to scan now, I just have to be more careful with the tape, but that is only to practis a lot, right?

Trying to attach a photo from a trip last week at a camping place, looks a bit like summer is over...

The film is a Macocolor UCN 200.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
I'm glad the tape and glass trick worked for you too :)

Rainy in Sweden too?
It feels like this summer we had a severe storm warning every evening for the last month!
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
Britt..this is wonderful..loving the color!

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
It is a very rainy end of summer here in Sweden. But I don't mind to much.

Diane, thank you. This baby is coming with me to Paris :)))) Lightweight, but still sharp as any Rollei. Love her.

Diane Peterson

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »
Britt!! I can hardley wait for Paris!

xx
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:09:49 PM by Diane Peterson »

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »
Great image Britt! Too bad my 127 TLR had mechanical problems (the shutter button became stuck sometimes) or I would have kept it. The Primo Jr really had the brightest screen I've ever seen (but then I only had my old Yashica Mat to compare it to) and was a joy to handle :(

And it seems like everyone is going to Paris this year (I'll be there in the middle of September). :)

Urban

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »
good tips all around! maybe I'll get off my arse and get to make something too, to easen my scanning woes ;D

britt: välkommen! nice with another swede on the crew~
I'm a fan of your IR stuff :3
/jonas

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:14 AM »
Welcome, Britt. There are some awesome 127 cameras out there...I just wish the film wasn't so expensive. I have 5-10 rolls of Efke left from a few years ago and will use them in my beloved Coronet 4x4 MkII toycam at some point.

For scanning I think I used to just use the Epson 120 holder. It worked fine, but as a general comment I wish I had an engineer for a husband too ;D

Andalusia: January 2005 by Ed Wenn, on Flickr

Britt Aximon

• From my point of view
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:57 PM »
Thank you all for warm welcoms and kind words about my pic. :) I am honured to be part of this forum.
Ed, my engineering husband is really a great investment, but in this particular matter, I had do to it myself. Not too difficult with Francoises well documented pics and description.

But otherwise and engineering husband is great, I come up with a lot of silly ideas, and most of the times he is kind enough to help me make them. On the other hand, to make an engineering husband going it takes quite a lot of homemade cookies  ;D