Author Topic: Sprocket stripes  (Read 777 times)

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
Sprocket stripes
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
Here's a funny one.

Just developed a roll of 35mm Tri-X in HC110

Dilution B, six minutes, 10s agitation every minute.

Fixed (without that much agitation to be honest) for about 4 minutes

Now it is dry I can see sprocket stains/stripes on about 24 of the 36 frames. The first 12 (nearest the centre of the spiral) are fine!  ???

Bromide drag?

Have I not fixed correctly or is this development? Why only on some frames?

The images are beautifully developed otherwise.

Thanks

Chops
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:49:14 PM by choppert »
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
Re: Sprocket stripes
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »
Hard to say without seeing the negs but assuming your agitation technique during development has proven successful in the past (i.e. not cocktail shaker style, overly vigourous) I'd suspect fixing is inadequate.  4 mins should be enough using Ilford rapid fixer (ammonium thio.) or equivalent at normal strength, might not be enough using old style sodium thio. fixers.  You could try re-fixing a strip in fresh fixer and seeing what happens, nothing lost if that isn't the problem.

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
Hard to say without seeing the negs but assuming your agitation technique during development has proven successful in the past (i.e. not cocktail shaker style, overly vigourous) I'd suspect fixing is inadequate.  4 mins should be enough using Ilford rapid fixer (ammonium thio.) or equivalent at normal strength, might not be enough using old style sodium thio. fixers.  You could try re-fixing a strip in fresh fixer and seeing what happens, nothing lost if that isn't the problem.

Thanks. Re-fixed it and all looks ok.
Was just confused why only some had drag on.

Chops

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
Now the film has dried I can see that all of the top sprocket holes look to have stress marks.
Only one set of sprocket holes! Bloody hell!

Not quite sure how to describe it. When I look at the film from an angle all around each hole looks slightly stressed/deformed.
Did I over agitate the film when re-fixing? Just used the twirller, and constantly kept the film moving.
Could this affect just one lot of holes?

I'll try and take a snap of what I mean.

Chops