Author Topic: Adox or Fuji Film ?  (Read 792 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Adox or Fuji Film ?
« on: August 02, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »
I have been using Fuji Across 100 ISO for quite sometime and I'm normally happy with the results, not to mention the price (almost half comparing to Ilford films). I like the results when the weather is overcast but it tends to get very contrasty under sunlight conditions.

Not so long ago I bought a box of 4x5 Adox and most recently at the Photographica I got few rolls of 120 but haven't had yet the chance to use them to compare the results.

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever used the Adox film, especially under sunlight/very bright weather conditions. The reason I'm asking is because in september I'll be going back home for holidays in Brazil and I want to start buying some film to take with me, normally I get this type of weather conditions in september.

I will use one of my Adox 120 before I go just to compare results with Fuji, but I'm interesting to see what you guys think about this film and results if possible...  ;)

Thanks!

Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Adox or Fuji Film ?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:02 PM »
I've Only used it in 5x4. It has a slightly extended red sensitivity so gives nice dark skies in clear conditions & bright sunlight. It's an old fashioned silver rich emulsion - I imagine it's not going to be fine grain in the smaller formats. One thing - the emulsion is very soft and prone to damage especially when wet. It's very nice though - especially in catechol based developers.   
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: Adox or Fuji Film ?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:35:50 PM »

Hi Leon,

I was reading on the Adox website about the emulsion being soft, they're recommending some "hardening" stuff to add on the process, they also mention that it's not a really good combination with Rodinal (which is exactly the developer I use...).
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com