Author Topic: Pentx SF10 Help  (Read 789 times)

rodh68

• 35mm
Pentx SF10 Help
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
Hello all from Alberta Canada

I am a brand new member but I have spent hours going over and through many of the posts. I spent the majority of my high school and college years shooting with an inherited Pentax Spotmatic camera. When I moved west the darling airline lost a large amount of my luggage including my camera. As things go work, family, and lie took over and photography seemed to get placed on the back burner.
Two summers ago while vacationing on Vancouver Island I walked in to a lovely little camera shop and the bug was back. Left the the store with the Pentax SF10 along with several lenses and have been driving my wife nuts ever since. Several rolls of film ago I have a Black mark (looks like a tiny black feather) visible through the viewfinder. It is definitely not on the glass of the view finder or the mirror and I have tried using a blower and compressed air when the body was empty. It does not show up on any pictures but it still bothers me too see it every time I use it. Unfortunately I don't have a wide array of places here to take it in to get checked out. I did take it in to a quote "highend camera shop" in the city and walked out when the clerk asked me how to spell Pentax.
I would be truly appreciative of any tips or sources of ideas to rid the camera of this spot. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Thanks Rod

Fedo

• 35mm
Re: Pentx SF10 Help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »
Hi Rod,
         I've had this issue with many cameras. The "spot" is almost definately on the focus screen which is between the mirror and the viewfinder which explains why you havent managed to find it.

Youre right that it wont affect your photos, & my advice would be to learn to ignore it. Lives too short to be a perfectionist  ;).

Someone else might be able to advise better on how to remove it if you really want to.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Hello Rod, and welcome to another Pentax user!  ;D

I agree with Fedo that the spot is most likely where he says it is, though I confess I was not familiar with were that place was until I read the post. I have that same problem with my own Pentax. I just ignore it.
mojave

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
If the mark is sharp (in focus) then it'll be on the top side of the screen. Marks on the underside of the screen appear blurred. If it's on the top side the removal of the screen is the only way of cleaning it. As far as I know, the SF10 screen isn't removable by the user so it would mean dismantling the camera. Not something I'd recommend unless you have some experience of such things.

If the mark is not sharp then it might be on the underside of the screen and it might be possible to remove it just don't be tempted to put any sort of liquid cleaner on the screen or you'll make it worse. A light brushing or a gentle blow of air is about the limits of what you should use to be safe.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

rodh68

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 02:17:50 AM »
Thanks for all of the quick and informative replies. It's sure nice to find such a helpful group to learn from. I may even get the nerve to try my C41 kit now with this site to draw help from. Thanks again to all. Rod