Author Topic: I didn't just lose an entire pack of 665, did I?  (Read 2814 times)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
I didn't just lose an entire pack of 665, did I?
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:03:01 PM »
I've been in denial.  No really - - the polaroid holder is on my couch, under a pillow.  

So there I was with a pack of 665.  Took one image - beauuuteeeful.  But when I pulled out the 1st tab, one half of tab 2 came along with it.  'Uh-oh... hope that's not going to be a problem'.  A day later I took a long exposure to see how 665 does.  Pull the "2" tab and crap.  Nothing spits out.  

I've opened the back in a changing tent, trying to figure out what's 'wrong' or what to do.  I really don't want to lose that image, but perhaps I have to in order to salvage the entire pack? Or (gulp...) have I lost the entire pack?

So now I'm on my knees... Is there just no way to figure out by touch how to get the dang polaroid re-threaded through the rollers? Has this ever happened to anyone? Thoughts?

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Re: I didn't just lose an entire pack of 665, did I?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
When this happened to me, to save the film, I attached the ruined pull tab to the triangular shaped paper attached to the print paper with black tape. Then I fed that pull tab through the rollers, closed the 405 back, and pulled the film through. I did this because without the longer, thinner paper pull tab, that triangular paper that has the goop in it thats attached to the print paper just isnt long enough to feed through the rollers. It does something odd with the threading. I couldnt see any of this of course, but could just feel that it wouldnt pull through right. Plus, it just wouldnt feed through the rollers right. But with the longer, thinner paper of the pull tab, I was able to feed it through the rollers and even close the case and that worked very well.

As far as rethreading the pack, Im not sure. I havent ever done that and know from personal experience with dirty rollers that rethreading wasnt possible. I had to just pull out the film that had the pull tabs messed up until I got to the film that wasnt messed up. It did eventually get to the film that was ok, but I think I lost two images getting to it. That was polaroid chocolate and not so dear as the 665 so it didnt hurt as much.

I wish you much luck! And I totally feel your pain.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:15:15 PM by Mojave »
mojave

greenstphotography

• 35mm
    • GreenStPhotography
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:58:05 PM »
I've had this happen before.  I usually just sacrifice the images on top and crack open the holder and rethread everything if possible and then pull the next tab or two to verify that everything is working again.  You loose an image or two, but save the rest if it's possible.  On occasion I've lost the whole pack because everyting is fused togetther.  for the most part I managed to save the majority of the pack.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:21:05 PM »
It even happened to me with a pack of Fuji... lost two images because the pull tab ripped inside the pack. I know it's annoying but there isn't much else to do.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:30:38 PM »
Since I've never seen what it looks like 'threaded', I don't have a clue how to do it without looking and analyzing.  Herein lies the conundrum.  I really want to triumph over this, even if it is another couple pics lost - WAY better to have the majority to use.  Sheesh why oh why did this happen with 665.  :-\

tkmedia

• Self-Coat
    • Camera-wiki the free camera encyclopedia
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:35:02 AM »
this page shows you the orientation of the neg, pos, tabs during different stages.
http://polaroids.theskeltons.org/film2.htm
tk

The non-commercial camera encyclopedia
Camera-Wiki.org / Donate / flickr / Twitter

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 01:46:39 AM »
While rethreading is often tempting, I usually drop that print, and go straight to the next tab. Especially as it is usually indicative of a larger adhesive problem - perhaps through the whole pack.

At least with old film packs, compressed Fuji packs however might get this treatment... Good luck regardless. Skj.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »
... it's still under a pillow... still in denial :)

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:30:26 AM »
Update!  FINALLY was brave enough to:
a) take the pola back out from under the pillow
b) go down into one of the scariest tiny rooms in my basement and shut out all the lights.  :o

I don't know if I may have ruined everything, but I used my camcorder on night vision to see why it wasn't threaded and attempt to get it re-threaded. 

In the end, I survived my scary basement room without freaking and running up the stairs like a banshee and though I lost 4 images, I still have half a pack left! 

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »
Update!  FINALLY was brave enough to:
a) take the pola back out from under the pillow
b) go down into one of the scariest tiny rooms in my basement and shut out all the lights.  :o

I don't know if I may have ruined everything, but I used my camcorder on night vision to see why it wasn't threaded and attempt to get it re-threaded. 

In the end, I survived my scary basement room without freaking and running up the stairs like a banshee and though I lost 4 images, I still have half a pack left! 

That must be one scary basement room.

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »
Suzi... I've seen some really, really, really weird things since moving in - stuff  ... I've never been frightened, but there was one moment where I felt something poke me in the back of the shoulder and keep pushing for a moment.  There was that split second where I wanted to knock my tripod out of the way and try to get the door open and bolt.  But I quickly recovered and like any normal person said 'no, don't touch me, I need to get this done'... and it stopped    ;D

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:51 AM »
Holy cow Ann! What a story! I was hoping for an update but never expected a fantastic ghost story! How old is the place where you live?
And congrats on having half the pack!! Yay!
mojave

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 12:28:12 PM »
Suzi... I've seen some really, really, really weird things since moving in - stuff  ... I've never been frightened, but there was one moment where I felt something poke me in the back of the shoulder and keep pushing for a moment

Yipes!!

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:48:14 PM »
thanks Erin, I'm over the moon about not losing the entire pack!  house is not that old - 1940.  I hesitate to share what I've seen, for fear that I'll sound loco-in-the-coco, but it cannot be denied that I'm NOT alone...  :P

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:52 PM »
Man, I havent had that kind of problem since I left the first house I ever lived in.

So, how about using that 665 to photgraph your roommate?  ;D

Ok, or maybe not THAT film, but some other, black and white film?  :D

Hmm, ok, just got an idea for the next collaboration. Scary pix. Ooh, now I have the chills.  :o
mojave

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »
Yeah, I think he'll walk right into the wall like the last time and I'll have nothing to show for it.   ;D  But!  Creepy would be a nice theme!  I like creepy/spooky! Particularly with 667 - that's a wonderful way to capture spookiness!

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
And the 667 is pretty reasonable as far as price goes. If we do a creepy collab, Im going to get some!
mojave