Author Topic: Witness - Photo Souvenir  (Read 1172 times)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
Witness - Photo Souvenir
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Not sure if anyone here watches the Aljazeera news channel and in particular Witness. Earlier this week they showed this, unfortunately this is only 20 minutes of an hour long program. I am searching for the full version.

Witness - Witness - Photo Souvenir - Preview

Filmmakers: Paul Cohen and Martijn van Haalen

Philippe Koudjina was once a successful photographer and the toast of Niger's 1960's post-colonial high society.

His images witness the optimism and rock 'n roll lifestyle of the first euphoric years following independence in 1960.

Decades on, not only has Niger become one of the poorest countries in the world but Koudjina's own life has spiralled into poverty and destitution. Today he begs on the dusty roadside to survive.

But while his negatives lie decaying in a rusty cabinet, across the continent large sums are paid for photographs just like his, in the fashionable galleries of Europe and the US.

Through Koudjina's own story and his illuminating photographs, this haunting film explores ideas of the value of art and the legacy of colonialism; a rare glimpse at one of Niger's great forgotten talents.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:00:05 PM by Phil Bebbington »

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
Re: Witness - Photo Souvenir
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Absolutely fascinating, Phil. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »
If you can get Aljazeera the whole thing may be repeated. I have seen it within the last 3 days, so perhaps you will be lucky.

I thought it was beautiful.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:29:03 PM »
Any idea on whether Philippe Koudjina's situation has improved as a result of his renewed exposure? If there's a collection in the offing I'd be happy to contribute.

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:16:37 AM »
The program ended leaving you dangling. That was the only downside to it - I'd contribute too.

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Have read a review and some comments of the film itself and the AJ feature moaning about how Philippe Koudjina seems to have been passed over by the filmmakers and although you can't believe everything you read in a blog post, it did get me thinking. Will try a wider search when I'm not at work.

Go to http://saturnneversleeps.com/2011/03/23/philippe-koudjina-photo-souvenir/ and scroll down to the comments.