Author Topic: Leaky bellow repair?  (Read 1293 times)

Coveman

• Coveman
Leaky bellow repair?
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
Hi guys and gals,

i have been using my ancient Butchers Carbine folding camera, fixed the leaks in the body but the bellows leak like a sieve!
looking online i've found may concoctions to paint on to fix the thinning material, everything from PVA and black paint to special silicone resin!

i was just wondering if anyone had any experience with different methods? as a 17 year old i don't really have the money (nor want to) fork out for a new set of bellows :P

thanks!

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Leaky bellow repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:20:32 PM »
Depending on how much damage there is and how small the creases in the bellows are, electrician's tape and Hockey tape can work wonders... you just have to be careful about how you apply it.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

K. Praslowicz

• 35mm
    • K. Praslowicz, Photographer
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Elmer's glue. Squirt a little bit into a containers and stir in drops of black tempera paint until it is pure black. Apply to the holes with a cotton swab and let dry. The patch remains flexible. I fixed pinholes in a my bellows about four years ago using this method and it is still holding up. Odds are you have the swabs & glue already. The smallest quantity of black tempera paint should run about $1. Very cheap and works well.

If you have a flash, aiming it into the bellows and watching from the outside as it goes off is a great way to find pinholes and check on your repair progress.
K. Praslowicz: Blog | Gallery | Flickr

Coveman

• Coveman
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
thanks guys!

as the material is only thinning i think i will give the glue and paint job a try, thanks for the advice

luckily i have a tiny LED torch which i can fit inside the camera, then i just turn off all the lights and count the leaks!

radosti

• 35mm
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 12:01:24 AM »
Duct tape or gaffer tape whatever word you please! Fixed my Besseler bellows with no problem

pdewolff

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:25:21 AM »
i did use liquid rubber from a hobby/craftshop, cheap and flexible