Author Topic: filmwasters! it's that time...please help me decide  (Read 1959 times)

chris_n

filmwasters! it's that time...please help me decide
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »
This month's camera addiction needs to be fed with a 6x6!  I hope to return with ONE (high hopes) of these:

They're are all listings in classifieds, so I hope they are somewhat negotiable--

Late-model Broni s2a mint condish in boxes + 75/2.8 + grip $350(+shipping):

Broni SQ-A with 80 and 150, both PS lenses  and 2 backs $399(local):

Kowa Six with 55/3.5 and 85/2.8, grip, WLF and prism finder, 5 filters, film processing canister, sunpak strobe $350(+shipping)

i've pretty much exhausted this forum's search regarding these 3 cameras, but i'm interested in hearing anyone's thoughts about fun, quirks, value, and longevity of any of these cameras.

I'm going to primarily be using any of these cameras handheld and weight isn't really an issue (used an rb67 handheld for class/work).

basically i want a good shooter's camera that will be able to last me a good while.

i love this forum and hope to be contributing one of my own reviews soon :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: filmwasters! it's that time...please help me decide
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »
out of the three, the sqa is the most "modern". the kowa six makes some great images. i like the s2 because of the komura 50mm lens (i wouldn't have bothered getting an s2 if not for this lens). there are 40mm lenses available for both the s2 and kowa, both are rare. i have the kowa 40mm and it looks wider than the s2. there is also a super rare 35mm for the kowa (and the only complete MF fisheye lens if you want to spend a couple grand). both the s2 and kowa carry the risk of stripping grears if you crank to hard. i don't know a lot about the sqa, except that lenses are much easier to find. i can tell you that you should be able to get a basic kowa (the camera with the 85mm lens) for less that that...around $200. not a bad deal with the 55mm though.

three images. the first is the kowa base lens of 85mm, then the kowa with the 40mm, and then the s2 with the komura 50mm. i think that probably the kowa lenses have a better reputation for sharpness.

as far as handling, they are pretty similar. the bronica is easier to carry around, but the kowa is a bit easier to shoot with (though putting lenses on still confuses me even after using it for three years).

was actually planning to do a blog post about the two cameras in a month or so...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:34:02 PM by moominsean »
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:24 PM »
I can only vouch for the SQ (I had the B not the A). However, I did have the PS 80mm and 150mm lenses (as well as the 40mm). If you are looking for superb optics and faultless engineering, that would be top of my list.

Why did I trade it? Because I fancied something else (though I can't remember what). The Bronnie never, ever let me down, though. It was just a stunningly simple and easy to use MF camera with razor-sharp lenses.

My friend still has an SQ-A but with S lenses. Even they are excellent and both PS and S lenses can be had for not much money these days.

Mind you, Sean's recommendation and photo are hard to overlook....
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:29 AM »
I've got sqa and sqai bodies that I use regularly.  I'd go for the sqai if you go down the sq route  - especially if you are likely to use long exposures.  it has a greater range of long shutter speeds and has a Bulb setting. If you use the sqa, you need to faff around with a screw setting on the lens to do bulb exposures - it is a bit of a pain in the erse and causes some sharpness issues when closing shutter due to movement etc.

My only problem with my sq gear is that I am reliant on batteries.  This is more a philosophical point than a practical one though. I have heard of some issues with sqai bodies that suddenly start to drain batteries in a few days, and that this is very difficult to fix.  I've not experienced this though.  INstead, the battery door on my sqai has loosened over time making it lose contact.  I've fixed this by wedging some cardboard in there to take up the slack and all is fine.

I only use the 80mm lens with my sqs.  I did have the 40mm which was great. IF you do go down this route and look for more lenses.  The Zenzanon S lenses are the older types and are excellent, but only have full stop settings on the aperture ring - you can set them in between stops, but need to do this by guessing.  WHereas the Zenzanon PS lenses have half stop settings too.  Other than this, I dont think there are any huge differences between the older and newer lenses.

here are some examples of me using my sq bodies - but I wouldn't hold much value on them, as printing choices and scanning etc makes it difficult to really see the lens/ camera performance well:

L.

chris_n

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:43 PM »
wow guys, amazing stuff!! this is exactly what i'm looking for! please if anyone else has something to add, go right ahead!

i'm trying to take my time in picking up a new camera, but it's so difficult. everything is just so tempting to play with :)

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:27:11 AM »
if you used all 3 side by side, same film, same settings, the results would be pretty much identical other than focal length of the lenses as it's all about shutter speed/f-stop variables and how you handle the camera. the optical differentiation between the 3 - especially the Bronicas - is minimal.

Other than that it's how the camera feels in your hand that makes or breaks it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:29:07 AM by gregor »

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »

Well said gregor : )

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
Love those shots Leon!!!!

Cant wait to see what you get Chris.  ;D
mojave

chris_n

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »
if you used all 3 side by side, same film, same settings, the results would be pretty much identical other than focal length of the lenses as it's all about shutter speed/f-stop variables and how you handle the camera. the optical differentiation between the 3 - especially the Bronicas - is minimal.

i am a firm believer in this!

exactly why i wanted to hear tons of input regarding others experience with these :)

oh the agony of choosing!  the pasadena camera show is coming up may15, but i've never been.  Sounds like some sort of photographica equivalent of LA. (though not nearly as cool :P)

any LA people been to it?  should i just wait and try to find a deal there?