Author Topic: Slideshows -- for Slideluck and other venues  (Read 693 times)

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Slideshows -- for Slideluck and other venues
« on: August 10, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
Boy, I've spent the past few days putting together a slideshow with musical accompaniment to submit to an upcoming Slideluck (Potshow) event and it has been a rather pain in the ass.

I use a Mac, so tried to use iMovie though I despise its strange interface and inability to set slide durations without it adjusting them internally to somehow account for transitions into and out of the slide.  Anyway, I got it done, then exported to Quicktime with H.264 compression per the Slideluck requirements, but the resulting QT movie was overbright and desaturated.  Googling this, it appears to be a common problem with slideshows exported with this codec.  No one had a solution other than to plead with Apple to fix it.  To no avail, apparently.  I tried to compensate by darkening and oversaturating the pics before export, and it sorta worked but it exposed the degradation of image quality that iMovies is infamous for.

So, I read these great reviews of FotoMagico for Mac-based slideshow making.  Spent $100 on it and its user interface is wonderfully straightforward and simple (like the original iMovie), and it does not degrade image quality.  It still had the same H.264 overexposed / desaturation problem, but with some trial and error adjusting, got it right.  Then I uploaded to vimeo, which apparently darkens things a bit in its processing, so I had to go back and dial back the darkening a bit.  Finally got it right.

Still need to adjust a couple transitions -- amazing what a few hundredths of a second can do in terms of making a transition either "eh" or "ahhhhh."  Anyway, anyone have experience with showing slideshows at Slideluck events?

I'll take care of you on Vimeo

Flippy

• Sheet Film
Re: Slideshows -- for Slideluck and other venues
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
I don't know what slideluck is but I tried using windows movie maker to make slide shows and didn't have any of those problems. I did however have a problem syncing anything with sound.
Vintage Camera : Edixa Prismaflex and Photos Taken With It.

The only problem is the compression from youtube that adds contrast and pixellation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 07:06:53 PM by Flippy »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Slideshows -- for Slideluck and other venues
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
You might be able to get your hands on the old Photostory 3. It's dead simple and easy to use.
I did slideshows using Pro Show Gold in the past and it was quite decent.

There are tons of free ones out there like
Magix slideshow maker http://www.photo-freeware.net/download_win-eng.php?id=1155
and
DVD Slideshow http://download.videohelp.com/tin2tin/
The later looks fantastic
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.