Author Topic: Interesting Camera - Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3  (Read 5560 times)

gregor

• Self-Coat
    • gregor jamroski photo
Interesting Camera - Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3
« on: April 25, 2011, 03:27:49 AM »
I found this sweet little gem on a popular auctions site - for a steal. I'm the second owner, with the exception of the owner's grandson who is selling off Grandad's estate.

The Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3 is a very compact folding plate camera, circa 1930.   Zeiss equipped the camera with a f=105mm 1:4.5 Tessar lens and shutter speeds from B through 250. This model is about the size of your standard 6x9 film back for LF cameras. Maybe even a bit smaller - small enough to fit into most any coat pocket. Its sibling, the 207/7 is a 9x12 plate camera perfect for wetplate fun.

The 207/3 originally came with 3 plates in a neat little leather pouch - suitable for cut film, tintypes and other wet or dry plate photography. Front movements include horizontal and vertical shift. In the case of the one I have here, the original owner had the camera modified with the Kalart Rangefinder in order to use the Suydam film roll film back that takes 120 film. An additional tripod mount was also added for horizontal shots.  The back has two masks: one for 6x6 and one for 6x9. Custom masks are easy to make for the Suydam back, but there are film counters for 6x9 and 6x6 only.

One of the cooler things on the camera is the built in level next to the viewfinder that can be seen sort of in the photo. An odd feature for a hobbyist camera from that era.

Operationally this copy is in amazingly wonderful condition with all speeds working and accurate. The only question is the Kalart Rangefinder. While it appears to be in sync the first roll will tell all.  Results when I develop roll 1 later this week.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:06:31 AM by gregor »

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
Re: Interesting Camera - Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:18:43 AM »
Very nice! I cant wait to see the pix!
mojave

Fedo

• 35mm
Re: Interesting Camera - Zeiss Ikon Maximar 207/3
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
Thats lovely. I always see these type of cameras on ebay and say that I'll buy one if it's cheap enough. Unfortunately they usually arent.