Author Topic: Cloudy Ilford Fixer  (Read 4797 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Cloudy Ilford Fixer
« on: February 13, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Opened the bottle (after quite a few time) this morning to find out that the colour was a bit funny... very cloudy (like schweppes citrus) instead of the usual transparent. It also had quite a few little specs.

Got rid of the specs by straining the water with an old nylon stocking and mixed with the water, still cloudy.

I decided to use it anyway and the negs seems to be fine (they're drying now), I'll  post the results later on.

Has anyone seen this before ? Will the images fade away if hasn't been fixed properly ?

Cheers...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
Re: Cloudy Ilford Fixer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:48 PM »
I have heard of this before, if my memory serves me right it is sulphite caused by rising p.h.
I'm not sure also if temperature at mixing time can cause this, possibly.
I would use a coffee filter to filter it, and use the double the clearing time to be sure fixation has taken place
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
When I have to strain chemicals, I use a cotton ball at the bottom of a funnel (actually, it's a cotton make-up removing pad). It takes out everything that is floating in the stuff.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
I have heard of this before, if my memory serves me right it is sulphite caused by rising p.h.
I'm not sure also if temperature at mixing time can cause this, possibly.
I would use a coffee filter to filter it, and use the double the clearing time to be sure fixation has taken place

When I have to strain chemicals, I use a cotton ball at the bottom of a funnel (actually, it's a cotton make-up removing pad). It takes out everything that is floating in the stuff.

Thanks guys,

The nylon stocking worked perfectly, as long as your wife/girlfriend does't know of course. It's good to know other alternatives anyway...

The temperature was 20 C on the dot when mixing so I guess the chemical has passed the time since it was already open for a long time (1 and half year).

My real concern is if the image it's been properly fixed, Is there a way to know ? The negative has the same colour tones as my previous negs.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 07:35:36 PM »
Opened the bottle (after quite a few time) this morning to find out that the colour was a bit funny... very cloudy (like schweppes citrus) instead of the usual transparent. It also had quite a few little specs.
I suspect the turbidity is caused by sulphur precipitating out.  If it was me I would discard the solution.
Ilford data sheet for Rapid Fixer:  "Unreplenished ILFORD RAPID FIXER working strength solutions should last for up to 6 months in full tightly capped bottles"
"Full, unopened bottles of ILFORD RAPID FIXER concentrate stored in cool conditions, 5–20ºC (41–68ºF), will keep for two years. Once opened use completely within six months and keep all bottles tightly sealed until used."
I have seen it before, initially the fixer will still work (clear film) but who knows what the capacity now is and since it is an inexpensive material and directly affects the life expectancy of the negatives I replaced it immediately.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »
Thanks Dave...
I'll be getting some more chemicals soon and the fixer is on my list already  ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »
The simplest way to know is to put a drop of fix on a film leader, wait a minute, dump the rest of the leader in the fix and start timing. Once the original drop has disappeared, take that time and double it... that's the proper fixing time.
Francois

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
Francois, I've always wanted to know how to perform that test- do you do it with an undeveloped piece of film or after you've developed?

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
The film has to be undeveloped. That's why using a film leader is perfect for the job. We always have tons of these and they always end up in the bin since it's a pretty useless part of film once it's exposed.

By skipping the developer, you make sure none of the silver has been converted.
Francois