Author Topic: Ilford Positive Paper - Advice needed...  (Read 1331 times)

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Ilford Positive Paper - Advice needed...
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:53:01 PM »
I know Leon did a really good review on the Ilford Positive Paper but I can't remember finding the information I need regarding processing.

I just bought a pack and wanted to try on my 4x5, with the normal lens and with the Petzval type. The person who sold me said that I could process with any normal FILM developer (which in my case would be Rodinal). I just wanted to confirm if the information is correct and Is there any recomended dilution I should follow.

Any other advice would be also great as well  ;)

Thanks...
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
Re: Ilford Positive Paper - Advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »
use paper developer - not film.  You could use film dev, but it is likely to be slower. Paper developer will develop to completion at about 2-3 mins on the fibre version and 1 min for the plastic version.  

Remember this stuff has a reverse reciprocity characteristic, so avoid use shutter speeds shorter than 1 second, and preferably longer.

And you are likely to want to pre-flash the paper to control the contrast .  Get some frosted glass/ tracing paper and meter through it. then set your shutter and aperture to the meter reading. Stop down the lens aperture by 2-3 stops, place the paper/ glass over the lens and expose the paper to the diffused light.  Then make your exposure as usual.

All of that said, I've not managed yet to get consistent results with the stuff. Others have though.  I think Andrea has had some success. Ed and I spent an afternoon messing with it and getting nowhere fast.

good luck :0)
L.

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:36:08 PM »
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Thanks leon...
I'd seen your post before but wasn't sure about the film/paper developer.

I guess I'll try one sheet with Rodinal and see what happens, regarding the pre-flash is going to be a bit hard since I'll be using the Petzval type lens.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
Do you not have any other way of trying? I think you'll find it unuseable eithout a preflash.
L.

sapata

• Self-Coat
    • Personal Site
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Do you not have any other way of trying? I think you'll find it unuseable eithout a preflash.

I could start with the normal LF lens and from there move to the petzval lens... with this kind of lens even working out the f stops is a bit of error and trial when using film.
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com