Author Topic: charging for CD cover?  (Read 1132 times)

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
charging for CD cover?
« on: January 31, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
hi all,

a photo of mine was used recently as the cover of an album available only as a free download. now they want to release it as a limited edition(250 copies) physical cd release using my image as the cover. what's the going rate for such things? there's no guarantee they could pay me(but still, they asked me to send them a quote).i'm a bit out of my element in figuring out what to charge since in the past when i've been published(usually magazine/books) the price was set by the publisher. i know i can't expect anyone to say "you should ask for this much.." but a general idea of what this sort of work goes for would be helpful.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/help,

william 

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
Re: charging for CD cover?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
Have a look a this...
http://www.shakodo.com/

Good luck ! ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:56:14 PM »
Seconded. Shakodo is awesome.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:15 AM »
thanks. checking out now.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
I just registered.
mojave

Artsyken

• Artsyken.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 11:28:11 PM »

a photo of mine was used recently as the cover of an album available only as a free download. now they want to release it as a limited edition(250 copies) physical cd release using my image as the cover. what's the going rate for such things? there's no guarantee they could pay me(but still, they asked me to send them a quote).i'm a bit out of my element in figuring out what to charge since in the past when i've been published(usually magazine/books) the price was set by the publisher. i know i can't expect anyone to say "you should ask for this much.." but a general idea of what this sort of work goes for would be helpful.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/help,

william 

Hi William - were you able to find the answer you were looking for on Shakodo?  As one of the founders I'm curious to hear your feedback! 
It's later than you think.  Enjoy life...

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:37:46 AM »
Hi William - were you able to find the answer you were looking for on Shakodo?  As one of the founders I'm curious to hear your feedback!  

i was able to find a general answer(ie related to size of product run, etc), but didn't see anything specific to my situation.  in the end i got a more specific answer from a friend who had recently been asked to do something similiar. still waiting to hear back on what they will decide though.

william
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:41:49 PM by ed.wenn »