Author Topic: Photo labs in Johannesburg  (Read 5485 times)

Mil Mascaras

Photo labs in Johannesburg
« on: April 24, 2011, 07:14:58 PM »
I remember that there are some FW's based in South Africa, I will be spending some time in Johannesburg soon and I was wondering if anybody could recommend some good photo labs or photo shops. I will be basically looking to have film developed and also buying some film, preferably black and white.

I will be doing some alternate research (well, googling) but it's always good to know the opinion of the crew here.

Thanks!

Lawrie

Re: Photo labs in Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:33:31 AM »
Sadly professional quality  film processing labs in South Africa have all but disappeared. If you are going to be in Cape Town however, I would recommend contacting ORMS PHOTOGRAPHIC  or, in Durban, contact  Max at PHOTOMAX  - a real pro lab delivering outstanding E6 and C41 processing. ( tel.031 2631927).

The one and only pro photo shop in Johannesburg is KAMERAZ, situated in Rosebank (a must visit tourist area) tel. 011 880-2885. Speak to Keith or Johan. They have a great  range of used analogue gear as well as a limited range of film - perhaps some Ilford and odd Kodak film. Processing options are limited and I would not entrust my films to any local processor.

My suggestion is to bring an adequate supply of your favourite film and avoid the problem of finding no stock in South Africa. I would also seriously consider processing when you return home. I know you run the risk of it being exposed to Xray inspection  -  it's a catch twenty two situation!!

Sorry if I sound negative, but that's the reality we photographers face in this country.

Hope this helps. If you need any additional info regarding your visit contact me via email. Hope you have a wonderful visit - you are in for a photographic feast!!!

Regards,

Lawrie.

Mil Mascaras

Re: Photo labs in Johannesburg
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 02:19:25 PM »
Thank you for all of this information Lawrie. If it is like it is, then I will develop my film back in the UK or Spain - where I have a couple of labs that I can trust, no problem!

I am always travelling and my film is always exposed to xrays but I have never had a problem. Even in Shanghai, where your bags go through xray every time you go to the subway, so some of these films have gone through a scanner 5 or 6 times.

But I expect to travel around the country a bit so I will take a good note of the shops in Durban or the Cape.