Author Topic: Aldeburgh - Suffolk  (Read 4724 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Aldeburgh - Suffolk
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:52:30 AM »
I was feeling crap end of last week through to Sunday - "man flu" I think women call it  ???

Anyway, my missus decided we should head off to the coast (90 mins drive - she wanted to give her car a spin) so off we went to Aldeburgh. For those unfamiliar, it's on the North Sea coast half an hour or so drive north of Ipswich. It's famous for being the home of Benjamin Britten (the composer) and for having a few really good fish and chip shops.

By the time we got there, light was starting to fade, so I loaded the Hassy with Portra 800 and here's a few of the results. I haven't really tweaked any of the images heavily at all. The rusty ones seemed to go some weird colours all on their own  :-\

All were taken hand-held and, apart from the beach scene (150mm) were taken on 60mm Distagon CT* f3.5

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:00:01 AM by Late Developer »
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
Re: Aldeburgh - Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
Love the boat details Paul. I visit Aldeburgh quite often but much prefer the winter months when it's quieter.

Here's a Polaroid transfer I did many years ago

And a more recent pinhole of Maggie Hamblin's shell

Paul
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
Great photos guys, love that giant shell.

Never been to Aldeburgh but company I work for is probably buying a property there, I may volunteer myself to visit it to take some sneaky shots in work time..  ;D

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »
What a nice "I-feel-like-crap" excursion, LD!  (Mine usually take me to a couch or bed with a blanket, but call me a lightweight!).  Love the fabulous wooden boat details.  :)

Paul - gorgeous low angled light on your shell shot!

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 12:56:13 PM »
Great shots guys, I can often be found on the Suffolk coast, while you were having man flu in Aldeburgh I was in Southwold doing the Brewery tour ;D

I can tell you after a few glasses of 'Ghost ship' my focus skills would turn a 'blad into a Holga  ;D

Hope you feel better now.
Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

astrobeck

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:38:21 PM »
those colors are really eye catching!
 I love the close ups of the boats! :)

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
Paul, you did very well under the circumstances. Man Flu is a serious business, you brave soldier!

Lovely shots, by the way.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 05:36:04 PM »
I really like all the photos... seems to be a wonderful place to recover from this evil feeling that women will never understand... ;)

Good work !
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:38:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments and the well wishes, folks...!

Sapata, you've hit the nail on the head there, matey. Women will never understand the extreme nature of man-flu. They seem to think it's just a head cold or something.  ;)

Anyway, I'm back in the land of the living today. Took a few 35mm shots in London - again using Portra 800. To be honest, it was a bit too bright for 800 but I did find a few darkened corners into which to poke my lenses. Hopefully, these will be processed and ready to post by the weekend.

@ Paul Mitchell - nice shots. Not sure what a "Polaroid Transfer" is - but it looks very nice. I've shot that shell a few time but I haven't really done it justice. I suspect the best light to catch it is late afternoon when it will get the low sun from the west.

@ Suzi - Go if you get the chance. It has a nice "feel" about it. If you go around lunchtime, head to the chip shop at the extreme south end of the main street - just before you get to the big car park on the left and marina on the right. Can't remember what it's called but they do the best fish and chips in the area. You will have to queue but it's worth it....

@ Photo Utopia - Mark, Adnam's is one of my faves. Tastes like proper "bitter" bitter. I've spent many a happy hour sinking a few "Ghost Ships" and other Adnam's brews. Southwold pier is also worth a few feet of film in the right light.

@original_ann - "Lightweight" is something no-one who's ever met me has ever called me..... ;D My wife tends to do the same as you when she's poorly - curls up and wants to sleep it off. I get stir-crazy sitting around in the house at the best of times, so she's worked out how to stop me getting uber-cranky when I'm ill and just gets my camera bag and off we go.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
Here's a few more from Sunday's shoot...

roman

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
great job on all of them. nice photography
Roman B
flickr.com/romanb

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 09:00:53 AM »
Paul - some really great shots there. I love Aldeburgh it's a great place for a relaxing week by the sea.

He's one of my favourites from there. This girl was trying to persuade her little sister to come out from under the shell.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:45:42 PM by Nigel »
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website

harragan

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »
Maggie Hambling was on Radio 4 the other night talking about the shell sculpture and Aldeburgh.  These pictures really capture that part of the Englich coastline.  Excellent stuff.

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »
Enjoyed looking at these pictures, Aldeburgh beach is an appealing location to shoot for me also.
Had the chance to take part of a roll of 35mm there earlier this year, still working on making some final prints but here are the work prints:
http://www.pbase.com/eldenfoto/aldeburgh
I'm new to Filmwasters, I like the focus on photographs & photography not gear, makes a refreshing change.

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »
Hi Dave,

I love to see other shots of the same place - even the same boats - and the different interpretations of the scene. As you say, this site isn't gear-centric but, even so, it doesn't harm to know what gear was used and how it was used to achieve the end result.

Nice work and welcome, from one relative newbie to another....

Paul.

Dave Elden

• EldenFoto
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 01:15:46 AM »
"...it doesn't harm to know what gear was used and how it was used to achieve the end result.":
Voigtlander Bessa R2 ,Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm f/2.5 C ,Ilford Delta 400.  Scan is of a print on Ilford MGIVRC, am doing some final prints on Forte PWT.
My inspiration for photographing at Aldeburgh was some photographs made by Bill Brandt in the late 1940s/early1950s - that and the fish & chips!

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:43:15 AM »
Hi Dave,

If I need inspiration in the Aldeburgh area, the fish and chips are what does it for me - every time!!

I thought your shot had a look of Bill Brandt. He was one of the photographers who first sparked my interest in photography as an art when I was a budding yoof photographer.

Paul.

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 11:48:54 AM »
What a lovely simple thread.  Brings out lots of little connections with other people's experiences, including their picture taking, and shows off some really beautiful images as well, including why and how they were taken.  Can't beat this site for provoking thoughts and ideas.

G

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »
I like all of these...nothing beats a seaside town!
And loving that shell.