Author Topic: Contact Printers  (Read 1692 times)

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
Contact Printers
« on: November 08, 2010, 02:38:34 PM »
Any one had much experience of these odd fellows ?  I'm talking the "Photax" and Patterson type boxes with old two core wiring that come up every now and then.

I'm thinking about playing with one till I get the full darkroom running but I'm not sure what size negs they can cope with as I'd like to print from 127 and 120 6x6 / 6x9 negs.

Also - Does one need "special" paper too ?

Cheers ...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 02:41:55 PM by Miles »

Francois

• Self-Coat
Re: Contact Printers
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 03:26:31 PM »
These should work just fine with regular paper...
I've seen some pretty nice models in old Kodak catalogs and once encountered an old GAF that needed lots of work.

These are just a box with a small lightbulb inside, switch, a piece of frosted glass and a hinged cover lined with either felt or foam in order to keep everything tight. Easy to build from scrounged parts (even with minimal ability and minimal tools)
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:42 PM »

Thanks Bud.

The two I was looking at only have 3" X 2" light areas so ok for 127 but too small for 120.

I've just got an Agfa Clack and would like to contact print it's 6x9 (cm) negs.

Heather

• Sheet Film
    • Stargazy Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:23:34 PM »
If you want lower tech, I probably have a contact printing frame in 120 size hanging around. Useful for alt process stuff but you could probably use cut down B&W paper... Not sure what you're currently set up to do.

Medium format was always called "2 and a quarter" in my house (that'd be inches...) I think so 2x3 should be quite close to 120 6x9cm, shouldn't it?
Heather
ooh shiny things!
http://www.stargazy.org/

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »

3"x2" is smaller that 6x9 cm so it would be a shame if I could only use it for 127.  Will dig on the web a bit as I reckon they must mean 2 1/4"x 3 1/2"  ;D

Thanks for the help.

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »

She's arrived !

I have an 8 watt bulb to load up and I'll replace the two core textile flex too ...  ;D

So ... I have some old expired Kentmere and Ilfold paper I was given, what sort of paper do people recommend, and just how long to at least start experimenting does one expose for ?

Have in included the latest editions to the family too ...  ;D ;D ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:02:26 PM »
Like all enlarging, a test strip is in order. Just that it's going to be a bit on the smallish side. But considering how little paper it uses, might as well go for full pictures from the get go. I guess starting exposing at 10 seconds and re-adjusting as needed would be a good thing (the clear film should print jet black). As usual, any paper will do.
Francois

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »

Thanks Chum,

I'll give it a go this WE hopfully.  Any specifics around the Dev dilutions or times or just follow recommendations pertainant to the paper used ?  Sorry, new to this bit  ;D

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:42:36 PM »
Just regular paper dev like Dektol. All RC papers are fully processed after 90 seconds... but 60 seconds usually gets pretty much everything developed. Stop bath... you can go for either a simple waterbath like some do. But this will reduce the fixer's life. So, if you don't want to spend, just use white vinegar diluted 50-50 with water... it does the trick. As for fixer, get some rapid fixer. I used to use regular fixer but the time it takes to fix the image is simply too long to make things pleasurable.
Francois

Miles

• Sheet Film
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:12 PM »

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

Rewired and ready to go  ;D

Nigel

• Self-Coat
    • nigel rumsey photography
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:07 AM »
Miles, be sure to post some results when you have them. I'd be interested to see how they come out. I've also go an old Agfa Clack it'd be fun to play with.

Nigel
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

website