Author Topic: Interesting Camera Nr.660  (Read 3801 times)

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
Interesting Camera Nr.660
« on: November 21, 2010, 04:01:34 AM »
After Sean's foray into early 6x6 SLRs, I've been keeping an eye out for a nice set myself. My usual 6x6 is a Yashica Mat, but it lacks the wideness I prefer. While a Mamiya C330 might suffice, they are rather large, heavy, and still quite expensive. Seeing this Kalimar Six Sixty, ready equipped with a 52mm wide angle, and packaged with an 80mm f2.8 as well, I thought a new purchase was in order.

The 52mm at f3.5 is as fast as the 'Mat, so no loss there. It is however a very different form factor, and being an SLR with a 'preset' aperture lens (no interlock with shutter to stop down on trip), it might take some getting used to.

Overall the camera is in tremendous condition, with a nice bright screen, and an auto-return mirror. As well as lens preset, it has two other curious functions; a manual 'Set' button to reset film counter, and slow-speed shutter dial for speeds less than 1/25, effectively giving it two shutter speed dials - one for above 1/25s to 1/500, and one below - from 1/25 down to 1/5s.

Changing the threaded lenses is easier than I thought it would. Though there are a few specs of dust and a few stiff levers, I will give it a good clean, and a light lube, and run my new favorite color film - Ektar - through and see what its HC lens produces. I love that off gray body color... See ya! Skj.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:08:12 AM by Skorj »

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
Re: Interesting Camera Nr.660
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:08:17 AM »
Ha! Funny, I've been keeping an eye out for one, you beat me to the punch. I passed on a Soligor 66 that went for almost $250 on ebay, which I thought was odd considering that a Fujita 66 and Kalimar 66 went unpurchased with buy it now prices around $180. I already have a 52mm lens that I got for $25 with free shipping, so now I just need the camera!
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

original_ann

• Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:50:37 PM »
That's one funky fresh camera  ;D
I want to see some shots with it!

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat