Author Topic: Travel Shooters  (Read 1925 times)

Late Developer

• Self-Coat
    • My Website
Travel Shooters
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
I know this won't apply to everyone - as not everyone needs to commute to work during the week. However, for those of us that do (and even those of us who travel daily doing things like taking the kids to school / shopping, etc) do we all carry a camera at all times or do we just carry one when we have something in mind to shoot?

My wife and I commute by train about 55 miles each way from where we live to Liverpool Street station in the City of London (Mon-Fri). It's a real rarity if I don't have a camera bag with me every trip. Mostly, it's an SLR and a couple of lenses (today, it's an F5, 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 )

Now that I have one, it's increasingly likely I'll just carry a Voigtlander Perkeo.

Very often, the camera won't even leave the bag. Occasionally, however, something will catch my eye and I'd feel cheated if I didn't have a camera to record it....

Are you umbelically attached to your cameras, too?
"An ounce of perception. A pound of obscure".

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Travel Shooters
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
I have to admit I use my (non-analog) Android phone as the "camera always with me" camera.

They really ought to make an analog cell phone...

astrobeck

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
I always have a camera with me and it's usually a pinhole of some sort.

I'd feel half dressed if I left the house without a camera.  Mind you I don't always use it, but at least it's near if needed.   :)

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
i don't have a camera with me on my regular commute, because there isn't really anything to take photos of from my truck. i do take a camera with me if i'm running errands or going downtown or someplace i'm not at very often.
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

Andrea.

• Self-Coat
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:42:42 PM »
Funnily enough, just been into the town here to meet the Lewis Photographica [continuing] and I had a Perkeo in my bag! Love it.

jojonas~

• Self-Coat
  • back at 63° 49′ 32″ N
    • jojonas @ flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »
I commute to work and go for walks in the evenings to do some shopping. I always have some sort of camera with me (always a p&s digital, just to be able to record something) if I have my slingbag, wich I almost always do, I stick an analog in there too.

nowadays I mostly bring my tlr but it's getting darker here and I'm looking for a nice, bright eyed 35mm rangefinder to replace my broken one.. anyone wanna sell their konica auto s3 for a modest price?  ;)
/jonas

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
I cycle about 5 miles to work come rain or shine. I always carry a camera mostly my Ensign folder. This morning I took some wonderful snow pictures with steam coming off water and very icy trees.
They should be processed by spring ;D

Mark
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 08:17:15 PM »
I do carry one camera with me all the time, but during the winter I find it hard to take out of my from my bag.

I have several cameras for the summer time but in the winter I prefer the ones that cope better with light so my LCA is always in my bag, now for the weekends I throw something more especial in my bag... ;)
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
Most of the time I have a camera with me. Usually the latest one I bought and that I have to run film through ;) When I've actually tested all my cameras I usually take one of the smaller ones (like the FED-2 or the Pen) with me. The SLRs and TLRs are reserved for those special occasions, like the christmas markets.

Urban

Wensleydale Blue

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:00:32 PM »
Yep, almost always have at least one camera with me - one in my shoulder bag, usually a Ricoh GR1, but from two weeks ago, supplemented by, and possible about to be supplanted by, a nice new (old) Olympus Pen D - and usually my Xpan and lenses in a bag in my car's boot.  Even take the Ricoh/Pen with me when I step out for lunch and wander around town for 30 mins.  You just never know when you might need it.

G

Lino

• flickr
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »
I drive a couple hours everyday to college and always keep a olympus stylus/XA on my bag.
If i know i'll have more time between classes to shoot i bring another camera :D

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
Since buying it a few months ago I don't think there have been half a dozen days when the 35Ti hasn't been in my pocket when out and about.

Waiting for a train at Manchester station a pigeon sat on the stool next to mine* so I entered the realms of the "is that bloke over there a bit unhinged" and took a snap of it.

OCD anyone?

Chops

* Re-reading that through I think I should clarify that I wasn't in the toilets, before anyone asks!  :D
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
I always have my Holga in my bag when travelling to and from work. I take it because it is very light and I walk. On other trips I'm not so consistent, if I am in the car I always take my bag with the Hasselblads.

Suzi Livingstone

• Sheet Film
    • Suzi Livingstone Photography
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 01:22:55 PM »
My Holga, it's the lightest.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 01:47:55 PM »
No, not always. Used to. Years back I wouldn't go anywhere without a kit bag full plus the kitchen sink for good luck. Was always afraid I'd miss that once in a life-time shot because I didn't have the right bit of kit.

If I am out without a camera now and see something that might have made a picture I just think of the infinite number of other pictures I've not taken because I wasn't in the right place at a the right time and think one more isn't going to matter.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Greys on Grey

• 35mm
    • Greys on Grey
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:58:24 AM »
I never did the GWC (guy with cam) thing.  The environment inside my truck from winter to summer, sitting out there for 8 hours while I am at work is not really the best environment. But on weekends and other days when I am not working I always grab my A1's and take them along for the ride.
I love the smell of thio in the morning....

http://greysongrey.blogspot.com/

Skorj

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • the black cat
    • Filmwasters.com
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
I carry this Konica in the glove compartment of my motorcycle everywhere. Water-proof, shock-proof, auto-focus, and 28mm, its a great on-the-go machine. Cost was JPY1000, so that's an added bonus too!

I can pull it out, and snap stuff like this on the move: