Author Topic: Medium format travel camera  (Read 7075 times)

Mil Mascaras

Medium format travel camera
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
Colleagues,

I have never had much interest in medium format, or to be honest, until recently I didn't even have an interest in film (only in cameras that happen to use film). However now I am trying to complete my travel bag, composed of a Zeiss Ikon ZM with a Sonnar 50 f1.5 for B&W, a Fuji Natura Classica White (I get laughs from men because it's girlish, but in Asian countries it has been a great conversation starter with ladies) which is always loaded with 1600 film for night colour shots, and (sorry) a Lumix GF-1 with a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4.

I want a camera to shoot 120, both colour and B&W, that is easy to carry around. I'd love to have a Hasselblad but they are just too big. Really my perfect camera would be the Bessa III/Fuji GF670 but it's too expensive. Considering all options the Fujifilm GA645 would also be close to perfection, even in the price... except that I do not care about 6x4.5, I use 120 to shoot 6x6 "square format".

Any suggestions? I just don't want to have a heavy bag around with me. I was put off photography for almost half a decade because my Digital SLR bag was just too large and it became a hassle rather than a hobby. I also don't want to financially invest a lot because I still don't know if 120 is a fad for me or not. Right now I am really happy with my travel kit but it feels like something is missing.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

hookstrapped

• Self-Coat
    • Peter Brian Schafer PHOTOGRAPHY
Re: Medium format travel camera
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 03:23:05 PM »
Mamiya 6

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:40 PM »
L.

Pete_R

• Self-Coat
    • Contax 139 Resource
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 04:28:42 PM »
If you'd like the Bessa III then I guess you'd be happy with a fixed lens, in which case, how about a classic folder? I've only had experience with the Zeiss Ikons but there's plenty of choice out there and, compared to the Bessa III, quite cheap.
"I've been loading films into spirals for so many years I can almost do it with my eyes shut."

Urban Hafner

• Self-Coat
    • Urban Hafner
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:33:26 PM »
How about a Yashica Mat? Even though they are not that small they are quite light weight and really cheap. The next smaller thing would be a folder, I guess. The Voigtländer Baby Bessa (Bessa 66) is supposed to be really, really small. But then you have to guess the focus. If you're interested in folders you should have a look at http://certo6.com/cameras .

Urban

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 04:44:17 PM »
since i bought a real life proper camera bag (crumpler) the hassy is a lightweight.
might be worth reconsidering...?

Paul Mitchell

• Self-Coat
  • Heaven is PanF at f138
    • Paul Mitchell Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
What about an old folder? I always carry my Agfa Super Isolette in my pocket
When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
A folder makes most sense, a nice condition one with a 4 element Tessar type lens will yield stunning results and fit it a jacket pocket.
I would look at the cameras in Urbans link.
That said a small TLR like a Rolleicord or a Yashica will give great results but they're not pocketable.
Some of the modern Fuji's GA 645 zi are nice but they're almost as big as a DSLR.
I have an Ensign Selfix and although its a 645 this image shows why it gets the nod over my Leica.
Mark Antony
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
Thanks for all the answers. The mamiya 6 is fantastic but I think that the only truly portable option for me is the 50mm. I'd go for the 75mm but that looks too large for what I want. Also not cheap!!!

Top option right now is an old folder. I have to think about this though. My only experience with this type of cameras is with old Moskvas that weight somewhere between the Queen Mary and a Polaroid 600SE. I am mostly scared of weight because that's what used to put me off photography.

Urban, that link looks like a great resource! I will have to study my options and look at prices. mwclassic sometimes have folders at what look reasonable prices (or much better than ebay!) so I will have to stay alert.

Mil Mascaras

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
Actually, I may go for a Mamiya 6. :)

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 06:09:35 PM »
The little Ensign above was £15 at that sort of money you can afford to have one. The Ross lens is great, every bit as good as the Zeiss Tessar on my Rolleiflex T.
Here is a little review with pics
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2009/08/ensign-selfix-1620.html
Mark
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:21:55 PM by Photo_Utopia »

choppert

• Sheet Film
  • ChopperT
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 07:14:48 PM »
I have an Ensign Selfix and although its a 645 this image shows why it gets the nod over my Leica.
Mark Antony

Is that an old Canon lens I see before me?  My M6 has a 35mm 1.8 permanently stuck to it now.  It's bloody lovely and cost next to nothing.  Hoorah!

Mil - sorry for hijacking your thread!   ;D
"Photography is about failure" - Garry Winogrand

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Chopper
When I tested the Canon against the Summicron I was thrilled!— the difference in price bought me a Rollei  ;D
Although not as contrasty or sharp wide open I actually think the el cheapo Canon is more flare resistant than the Leica lens.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:13:11 PM by Photo_Utopia »

Miles

• Sheet Film
  • And lo, it came to pass ...
    • Just Flickr
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:23:54 PM »

As a newbie to old folders I can't get enough of 'em !

I paid a tenner for an Isolett II with the Pronta shutter it's a fine beast that can slip into any bag.  I love TLR's but they aren't ever a secondary camera I feel.

moominsean

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Living in camera shadows.
    • moominstuff
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:21 PM »
there are gobs of chinese folders as well, that can be found for a decent price. can't go wrong with a rolleiflex or 'cord in good working condition. i really liked my rolleiflex as far as carryingaroundability and photo quality, but it had issues with reading the film so it would turn halfway through the roll before noticing, though i had no way of really knowing until i'd shot the roll. but i liked the camera itself..
"A world without Polaroid is a terrible place."
                                                                  - John Waters

sapata

• Self-Coat
  • "I want to be plastic" Andy Warhol
    • Personal Site
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:54:45 PM »
The Voigtlander Perkeo is very compact 6x6 camera
Mauricio Sapata
@mauriciosapata
mauriciosapata.com

LT

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 06:35:22 AM »
Thanks for all the answers. The mamiya 6 is fantastic but I think that the only truly portable option for me is the 50mm. I'd go for the 75mm but that looks too large for what I want. Also not cheap!!!

as for portability, don't forget that the mam 6 has a collapsible front like a pseudo-folder. It actually has bellows inside it too for this purpose. It folds up reasonably small even with a lens attached.
L.

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »
And don't forget to also keep an eye out for vintage Zeiss-Ikon folders. Some of them can be quite surprisingly good.
Francois

Film is the vinyl record of photography.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
I have a pre war Zeiss Ikon with Tessar- nice camera considering it has an uncoated lens...
http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2009/09/zeiss-ikonta-5202.html

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 10:13:03 PM »
Mine is a primitive Zeiss-Ikon Nettar. Lens is pretty good on it. Folds-up pretty small too. No rangefinder on it though.
Francois

Blaxton

• Sheet Film
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 04:32:28 AM »
Except for one thing, I might recommend carrying a small backpack with a stripped-down Crown Graphic, three lenses (90, 150, and 210) along with 6x7 and 6x9 roll film backs and some 4x5 film holders together with all the necessary accessories (light meter, filters, spirit leveler, etc) as well as a small range finder camera--mine's a Canonet G-III.  The one thing that prevents me from recommending this set-up is the obligatory tripod.  It's just too much to carry.

Otherwise, I can second (or treble) the folder suggestions, although my very best travel pictures, ever, have been with my Rolleiflex twin lens.     
https://www.flickr.com/photos/willblax/

There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method. -- Herman Melville

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 07:08:35 AM »
Mine is a primitive Zeiss-Ikon Nettar. Lens is pretty good on it. Folds-up pretty small too. No rangefinder on it though.

Have you tried the human rangefinder?

http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/2010/07/human-rangefinder.html

Mark

Francois

• Self-Coat
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 03:23:30 PM »
No, I usually simply guestimate the distance and let depth of field take care of the rest...
Francois

calbisu

• Self-Coat
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
Damn!  >:(  I was considering purchasing the Bessa III because the almost 3 kg of the pentax 67 sometimes is just too much to lurk around but then I saw the Mamiya 6 suggestion and looked at it at the net. Mmmh, I must say I was salivating at what the Mamiya offered... I will think about it! First the photo-equipment has to arrive from Spain, then we'll see  ;)

roman

• flickr
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »
what about TLR's they're pretty small and some have amazing glass. i stick my rolleiflex 3.5f in to a lens opening in my camera bag.
Roman B
flickr.com/romanb