Author Topic: More complete review of PZ 600 film  (Read 2015 times)

Mojave

• Self-Coat
    • Erin McGuire Photography
More complete review of PZ 600 film
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »
Just posted a more complete review of TIP PZ 600 film. I'm not very technical when it comes to my photography. I pretty much shoot from the hip most of the time and forget the really technical aspects but I hope the post will be of some help to whoever might be interested in the film.

Some of the pix you will have seen already, but some not.

Anyway, if you feel like checking it, please do and if you want, let me know what you think.

Cheers!!!

http://erinmcguirephotography.com/?p=212

Hope the link works. Not sure if it will since I've never posted a link here before.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:09:34 PM by Mojave »
mojave

patois

• I run p
Re: More complete review of PZ 600 film
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
Nice. I like the last image in your series. I love/hate the Impossible's films because they are so crappy but sometimes produce beautiful results. They are also too expensive.

formica

• Sheet Film
  • professional amateur
    • formica
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:40:53 PM »
i've been reading that a more stable colour film will be coming from TIP in november. i'll be curious to see if that pans out. i just hope they have the temp problems figured out.

william

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:45:45 PM »
Totally understand Patois. And thank you!

William, I cant afford to buy any of that film for a while so Im right there with you in hoping that in November, they release a more stable product that I can spend my money on. If I have any then.  :)
mojave

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:23:36 PM »
I've recently ordered some T-I-P film... it is expensive and, I can't ignore that I find their "come join us in our fumbling experiment... at YOUR expense... it'll be fun... trust us" condescending attitude.

I'm not sure I get it. Either get in the business or get out. The show all the products that are "out of stock" which indicates they never really had any sort of REAL inventory to start with. And everything is presented with a pretentious excuse, because, after all... "this is an IMPOSSIBLE project. So give us your patience, money and oh, yes Mr. Emperor... we'll take those new clothes."

To the tune of $150, I'm giving them this one chance to impress me. LOL
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteWheels On WallsAutomotive Photographers Network

SuziLivingstone

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:11 AM »
I'd love to experiment with this film, some day. Some really fantastic results here Erin..

PS Actually, I think I saw some for sale in the Photographers Gallery shop last week.. may have to purchase a pack..

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Thank you so much Suzi!!! It is a risk, this film, but you can make it so the results come out more to what you would expect by making sure the sun doesnt hit the surface for a few minutes and by making sure that you develop the film in temps ranging between 68 and 75 degrees f., which isnt as hard as it sounds. Mijonju recommended a warm armpit if it was too cold. LOL! I think I might give that a try when the whether gets cold out here.
mojave

John Thawley

• 35mm
    • T H A W L E Y
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:35 PM »
You have had some nice results with this film. I will admit, I've tempered my attitude a bit since working more with the film and understanding their challenges... as well as the challenges I have with the film.

I have had some fun results... but there is a certain amount of luck involved. Maybe luck isn't the right word, but to be sure, it's hard to think of yourself in control of this film. It is a moving target.

I do want to see TIP succeed. That said, I would like to see a film that is stable in performance and in color. If they can produce a film that is at least predictable and stable, then photographers can know in advance the parameters in order to produce the image THEY want... not what the film wants. :)

It's a challenge to be sure.
• Canon, Leica, Mac & Imagination •
Personal SiteWheels On WallsAutomotive Photographers Network

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that completely. Its too expensive a learning curve at the moment. While I find their prices about half what other people are charging for real Polaroid film, their film isnt stable and like you say, the results are a crap shoot. Im finding that if the exposure and temp arent perfect and if you get too much light on it when it leaves the camera, then the results are very, very orange. I am converting my images to grayscale in PS and then split toning them to get around the orange color. I like the results and am going with them for a specific series Im doing but I would much rather use the film as is when it comes out right. I love how it looks when it comes out right.
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »
There was a time when this kind of quality was only tolerated in long expired film. The instability was okay offset against how much you paid for the old film. I'm sure if any of us was buying 35mm, 120 or 5x4 NEW and got this quality we would have something to say to those that supplied it and yet they churn out this garbage and convince us or at least many that it is okay and that their work arounds are FUN!

Man!

I'm done  :-[

vicky slater

• Self-Coat
    • vicky slater
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
I didn't realise how bad the film was til i tried it myself.
i don't want to knock them because they're trying to do something that will hopefully go right one day but right now it's not and i think the prices are way too high for what is essentially a beta product.

Photo_Utopia

• Sheet Film
  • The artist also known as Mark Antony
    • Photo Utopia
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
I guess it's a case of learning as they go, trying to recoup the not unsubstantial costs.

I would agree though compared to other instant films, they're a way off, I think having a loyalty slip in each pack buy 3 get one free offer would recognise the consumer is funding R&D at this stage.

Mark Antony
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:40:34 PM by Photo_Utopia »
There's more to this photography thing than meets the eye.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 07:33:24 PM »
Yeah, the marketing ploys are really lame, especially the new one with the custom designed boxes. And the so called "fun" workarounds arent fun. They're too involved, most of them. My problem is that I love the film. I mean, I really, really love it. Even when it comes out kind of orange. I converted the images to grayscale for the series to keep it uniform but for myself I really like them as is. So I will keep on buying it and will just ignore their ad campaigns like I have been. I wonder if they really work. You think they really work and people buy the film because of the ads? Maybe Im just living too much in my own little world to realize people can fall for ads like that instead of getting the film for what it can do for their work.
mojave

Phil Bebbington

• Self-Coat
    • Phil Bebbington
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »
Erin, if it works for you then that is wonderful. At the end of the day it is all about taking photos and getting the  results that you want.

I really want them to succeed so I hope there are enough people who like the results so that they improve and produce products that we can all get off on.

Mojave

• Self-Coat
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
LOL! Me too Phil. That would be great!
mojave