Author Topic: FAMILY VISIT TO EAST COAST USA  (Read 1229 times)

Townheadbluesboy

• 35mm
FAMILY VISIT TO EAST COAST USA
« on: March 23, 2010, 09:12:43 AM »
Hi - Family trip to NYC, DC and Florida coming up in August.  Wondering what kit to take.  How easy is it to buy 35mm and 120 film (B&W and Colour) on the American high street these days?  Anyone got any suggestions for reasonably priced places for a family to stay?  Finally,  NYC is a bit of a culture session for us - suggestions of photographic places to visit - was thinking of MOMA and International Center for Photography  - any more thoughts much appreciated.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
Re: FAMILY VISIT TO EAST COAST USA
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »
It's very easy to find every film all over NYC.  I'd suggest stocking up on film while here. Try these pro shops:

Adorama - West 18th Street
B&H Photo - West 34the Street
Calumet - West 22nd Street

As for places to stay: there are some bed&breakfasts in Manhattan (something most wouldn't think to look for here) and they tend to have cheaper prices than hotels. Florida should be really cheap in August.

A museum that no one should miss if traveling the East Coast, is the Barnes Foundation in Lower Merion, PA (that's outside Philadelphia). It houses one of the largest Impresssionist & post-Impressionist art collections in the world. It's between NY & DC. You'd need to get your tickets in advance as they only allow a limited number of people in a day. t's a place everyone needs to see at least once.

Townheadbluesboy

• 35mm
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:44:26 AM »
Thanks very much.  Now have to decide what cameras to take!

Ed Wenn

• Global Moderator
  • Self-Coat
  • Slowly getting back into it. Sometimes.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
[The following written in the knowledge that some Filmwasters live in NYC and may want to jump in on this, correct me, or otherwise]

Hi, as a Brit who's been to NYC getting on for twenty times to visit friends (before lack of funds, the arrival 2 kids and George Bush getting elected curtailed my frequent visits) I was amazed at how much I got out of a day spent with a Big Apple Greeter (http://form.bigapplegreeter.org) and I've been advising people ever since to book up a day during their stay in NYC (even if, like me, they thought the knew the city to some extent from previous visits). It's a volunteer run by very knowledgeable locals and aside from food & drink for the day it's completely free (and that includes your transport for the day and an insistence that you not tip you guide). Your tour consists of your party and your guide; no-one else. It's perfect. You really can't say fairer than that.

They do tours in a million languages and will cover any number of areas (we chose Brooklyn and had an amazing day traveling from the Brooklyn Bridge down to Brighton Beach and back via Prospect Park, Flatbush, Crown Heights and a whole bunch of other neighbourhoods). They also do themed tours...and this is what I'm building up to, because I'd be surprised if they didn't do a photographers' tour. Worth checking.

You have to register several weeks in advance (I see your trip is August so you have time  :D), then they send you a fax (maybe it's all online now) which you fill out specifying the type of tour you want and several days before you arrive in NYC you are contacted by your guide to arrange a time and place to meet.

gothamtomato

• Self-Coat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
I've hard that Big Apple Greeters are great.

(But you shouldn't have let that worthless Bush deter you from visiting NYC. We have always despised him more than anyone, anywhere! We LOVE visiting Brits too.)

mart

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
As an old New Yorker and a 6 month a year resident of Florida, I must mention the weather in August.

NY- varies from quite nice summery temps to IMPOSSIBLE.

DC-Can be quite warm/hot. (Check to see if the National Gallery has a hanging photo show. They usually do a great job.)

Fl-IMPOSSIBLE/Both very HOT and HUMID 24/7
     If Orlando and the theme parks are on your itinerary, just be aware that it's  inland 
     so really HOT & HUMID.

Just advising so you know what to expect and packing can be done accordingly. Hey, the wife and I were in London one year when it hit 103F. 'Twas the hottest in over a century.
Been in Mittel Europa in June and you probably know what that's like. Just sayin'...

The pro shops mentioned above have everything; I've been a customer of two of them for years. 35mm color print film can be picked up virtually anywhere you find a tourist.

You're visiting in HIGH tourist season for NYC and any and all accommodations will be pricey and more-so. In Fl in August they'll pay you to stay with them (hyperbole), but rates for most places are reasonable.

I was a volunteer in the past at ICP and in the bookstore there was/is a monthly publication which details all current photo shows in the US. Pick it up.

First saw the light of day in NYC not quite 80 years ago (will be 80 in 3 weeks), and without being snotty, believe me, and I've been fortunate enough to visit many major cities both in this country and Europe and adore any number of them, but...

Hey, as Ed knows, I do lots of street shooting in my town. Maybe we'll bump into each other.

Enjoy!!!

Townheadbluesboy

• 35mm
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
Thanks again everyone - School holidays dictate when we can go.  If you see a Father and son with Yashica Electros it's probably us.  Thanks again.